Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_jon
_Emeritus

Re: Does Thomas S Monson tell lies...?

Post by _jon »

Then, he said, "I learned that something akin to a miracle had taken place." LDS neighbors of Mrs. Terese Patton in California invited her to their home to listen to a session of that April 1969 general conference. "She accepted their invitation and thus was listening to the very session where I directed my remarks to her personally."

1969?
Just for clarification, were you able to view sessions of conference in your home in 1969?
'Church pictures are not always accurate' (The Nehor May 4th 2011)

Morality is doing what is right, regardless of what you are told.
Religion is doing what you are told, regardless of what is right.
_Morley
_Emeritus

Post by _Morley »

jon wrote:
Then, he said, "I learned that something akin to a miracle had taken place." LDS neighbors of Mrs. Terese Patton in California invited her to their home to listen to a session of that April 1969 general conference. "She accepted their invitation and thus was listening to the very session where I directed my remarks to her personally."

1969?
Just for clarification, were you able to view sessions of conference in your home in 1969?

In California, circa 1969, I'm sure LDS Conference sessions were available on the radio.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

subgenius wrote:perhaps it is worth looking into Kenneth Patten from Payson as well, though he may have been a childhood friend, i am sure we are all assuming he was "originally from" Utah?

What would the value be of looking into Kenneth Patton?
I've already outlined the reason that Monson had to have been using the actual names. Do you believe it likely that the mother of Kenneth Patton would have recognized the story was about her and her son if the details, including names, were different?
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

We have established that Monson didn't tell the story the same way twice, even though he had access to all necessary documentation about it, including his own talks.

If Arthur Patton didn't exist or didn't serve and die in WWII I'm not sure where that would leave the Prophet of Christ's one true Church on Earth.

Remember Paul H Dunn got binned for this type of thing.

_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

I now have a document listing an Arthur Frank Patton of Salt Lake City with a mother named Teresa Patton in the Navy in 1941. It is listed in the Utah, Military Records, 1861-1970 on Ancestry.com. It looks like it might have come from a newspaper article and an enlistment book. The card scanned online gives no birthdate.

This record lists an address that was several city blocks away from the 1930 home of Thomas Monson and his family. It was .8 miles away and about 15 minutes by foot.

There is now a new Public Family Tree on Ancestry.com listing an Arthur Frank Julius Patton with a death date of April 1944 with the note "disappeared 55 miles off of Saipan." Same parents as the Chicago 1930 census record which I refer to in my post.

I will probably be editing my long post with the new information I am finding sometime in the next few days.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I'll just throw this out for you, subgenius.

My father (at the time a very well known person in SLC) once had to call TSM for business reason. This was before TSM was president. During the phone call, TSM made a lot of very specific references to things in my father's childhood that left him thinking that TSM had his church records open in front of him during the call. TSM also proceeded to tell a lot of folksy stories about my father's childhood and knowing him then. This dumbfounded my dad, who had never met TSM and felt the whole thing sounded like, in his words, "a bunch of made-up bull that he embellished with things he was reading from my record."

I think Mormon GA's are sincere tellers of folksy stories that stretch the truth to various lengths in their efforts to make people "feel the spirit."

Call it whatever you like.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered w/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Nomad
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomad »

just me wrote:I now have a document listing an Arthur Frank Patton of Salt Lake City with a mother named Teresa Patton in the Navy in 1941. It is listed in the Utah, Military Records, 1861-1970 on Ancestry.com. It looks like it might have come from a newspaper article and an enlistment book. The card scanned online gives no birthdate.

This record lists an address that was several city blocks away from the 1930 home of Thomas Monson and his family. It was .8 miles away and about 15 minutes by foot.

There is now a new Public Family Tree on Ancestry.com listing an Arthur Frank Julius Patton with a death date of April 1944 with the note "disappeared 55 miles off of Saipan." Same parents as the Chicago 1930 census record which I refer to in my post.

I will probably be editing my long post with the new information I am finding sometime in the next few days.

In other words, the essential facts of the story, as told by President Monson, are correct. And all of the gleeful apostate crowing that he had been "caught in a lie" was based on nothing at all, except the twisted exmormon obsession to make people offenders for a word.
... she said that she was ready to drive up to Salt Lake City and confront ... Church leaders ... while well armed. The idea was ... dropped ... [because] she didn't have a 12 gauge with her.
-DrW about his friends (Link)
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

Just Me, are the new records on ancestry.com official records or human entries?

_Nomad
_Emeritus

Post by _Nomad »

Blixa wrote:I'll just throw this out for you, subgenius.

My father (at the time a very well known person in Salt Lake City) once had to call TSM for business reason. This was before TSM was president. During the phone call, TSM made a lot of very specific references to things in my father's childhood that left him thinking that TSM had his church records open in front of him during the call. TSM also proceeded to tell a lot of folksy stories about my father's childhood and knowing him then. This dumbfounded my dad, who had never met TSM and felt the whole thing sounded like, in his words, "a bunch of made-up bull that he embellished with things he was reading from my record."

I think Mormon GA's are sincere tellers of folksy stories that stretch the truth to various lengths in their efforts to make people "feel the spirit."

I think its dishonest.

I'm sure you do. In your eyes they're all dishonest.

You're all a bunch of sick, twisted people who think the product of your imaginations is somehow related to truth.

ETA: I see you were quick on the edit button. So don't you think it was "dishonest" anymore, now that we know there really was an Arthur Patton?

lol!
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
... she said that she was ready to drive up to Salt Lake City and confront ... Church leaders ... while well armed. The idea was ... dropped ... [because] she didn't have a 12 gauge with her.
-DrW about his friends (Link)
_jon
_Emeritus

Post by _jon »

Nomad wrote:
just me wrote:I now have a document listing an Arthur Frank Patton of Salt Lake City with a mother named Teresa Patton in the Navy in 1941. It is listed in the Utah, Military Records, 1861-1970 on Ancestry.com. It looks like it might have come from a newspaper article and an enlistment book. The card scanned online gives no birthdate.

In other words, the essential facts of the story, as told by President Monson, are correct. And all of the gleeful apostate crowing that he had been "caught in a lie" was based on nothing at all, except the twisted exmormon obsession to make people offenders for a word.

If the story pans out I'll be the first one to hold my hands up and say fair enough. However, you seem to be jumping the gun slightly.
Ancestry.Com family tree's are human entries are they not? I think an official military listing/document is going to be required on this one.

If that turns up fair enough, all Monson is guilty of is not being able to tell the same story twice, and having his later accounts more accurate than the ones closer to the actual event time. No crime there, even Joseph Smith managed that.