Jeff Lindsay praises John Gee's book “Introduction to the Book of Abraham” as a tool to save his testimony

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

Re: Jeff Lindsay praises John Gee's book “Introduction to the Book of Abraham” as a tool to save his testimony

Post by Shulem »

Exactly, Xenophon.

Everything is just fine.

:-)
MG 2.0
God

Re: Jeff Lindsay praises John Gee's book “Introduction to the Book of Abraham” as a tool to save his testimony

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am
MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:25 am
John Taylor obviously saw things differently than Brigham Young and possibly Joseph Smith.

The Church is run and based on succession. The current and living prophet has charge over the affairs of the Church and all the congregation will say, “Amen”.

At the end of the day the living prophet has the final say.
After the Law of Common Consent is put into play.

I would like to have been in SLC during the time leading up to the vote to canonize the PofGP, including the Book of Abraham. What ‘politicking’ went on behind the scenes? What did that vote look like? Unanimous? Any dissenting votes? To think that that on one day…thirty years down the road from the time a booklet (adapted from a serialization in the T&S’s) was published in England…Pres. Taylor was able to (ramrod?) get the vote for canonization is actually pretty amazing. How did he do it? I’d like to have seen the smoke filled…😉… back room negotiations that went on.

And up to this point we don’t have any first person testimony from Joseph Smith that the Book of Abraham was destined to be scripture like unto the Book of Mormon. Interestingly, Joseph had much to say about the scriptural authority of the Book of Mormon.

Regards,
MG
Lem
God

Post by Lem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:28 am
Shulem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:27 am

The Church is run and based on succession. The current and living prophet has charge over the affairs of the Church and all the congregation will say, “Amen”.

At the end of the day the living prophet has the final say.

I would like to have been in SLC during the time leading up to the vote to canonize the PofGP, including the Book of Abraham. What ‘politicking’ went on behind the scenes? What did that vote look like? Unanimous? Any dissenting votes? To think that that on one day…thirty years down the road from the time a booklet (adapted from a serialization in the T&S’s) was published in England…Pres. Taylor was able to (ramrod?) get the vote for canonization is actually pretty amazing. How did he do it? I’d like to have seen the smoke filled…😉… back room negotiations that went on.
Wow. "politicking," "dissension," "smoke filled...back room negotiations," with the canonization of lds scripture 'ramrodded' through? By the current Prophet, no less?

I don't think I have ever seen the lds church leadership process described quite like that. Is this how the Quorum of the 12 historically arrives at its "revelations"????????
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Lem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 2:50 am
MG 2.0 wrote:

Wow. "politicking," "dissension," "smoke filled...back room negotiations," with the canonization of lds scripture 'ramrodded' through? By the current Prophet, no less?

I don't think I have ever seen the lds church leadership process described quite like that. Is this how the Quorum of the 12 historically arrives at its "revelations"????????
I've never heard it described like this either. Is there a good book or reference on this subject? It's fascinating if true.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:25 am
The million dollar question at the end of the day, of course, is why God let it happen. That is, if the Book of Abraham was more or less a midrashic composition why would he let things go the way they did. One possibility would be that the midrashic composition contained enough doctrinal inspiration that taught truth that it was allowed to stand. Pearls encapsulated within the messiness of the internals of an oyster, by analogy.

MG,

The Times and Seasons presented the Book of Abraham as a revelation and that’s exactly how it was both received and perceived by the Latter-day Saints.

Here is more proof to that effect:

Times and Seasons, 1 September 1842 wrote: Joseph Smith Papers

But if we believe in present revelation, as published in the Times and Seasons last spring, Abraham, the prophet of the Lord, was laid upon the iron bedstead for slaughter; and the book of Jasher, which has not been disproved as a bad author, says he was cast into the fire of the Chaldees.

Thus, the Book of Abraham published in the earlier edition is likened to revelation.

Interesting enough, I can tell you that the Lion Bed in Facsimile No. 1, is definitely not made of “iron”. Joseph Smith was mistaken about that. It was made of wood. So, if Smith was wrong about the physical composition of the Lion Bed then it makes us wonder what else he was wrong about. Frankly, when it comes to Facsimile No. 1, Smith was wrong about all of it.

Nonetheless, this is a clear example how the saints viewed the Book of Abraham that was published in the Times and Seasons as revelation.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
I would like to have been in SLC during the time leading up to the vote to canonize the PofGP, including the Book of Abraham. What ‘politicking’ went on behind the scenes? What did that vote look like? Unanimous? Any dissenting votes?

For the life of me, I can’t figure why the October 1880 Conference is not in the archives and yet the April 1880 Conference is available for review. I recall reading that the vote to canonize the Pearl of Great Price was unanimous. Here is an interesting clip located on the Church website that discusses several historical events involving Conference:

Kenneth W. Godfrey wrote:In October 1880, Elder George Q. Cannon, then First Counselor to the First Presidency, held up the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price before the members and explained that new material had been added since the original canonization of the Doctrine and Covenants in Kirtland. The brethren felt it wise, he continued, “to see whether the conference will vote to accept these books and their contents as from God, and binding upon us as a people and as a Church.” Thus the Articles of Faith became binding scripture upon the Latter-day Saints when the Saints voted to accept them at the October 1880 conference.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
And up to this point we don’t have any first person testimony from Joseph Smith that the Book of Abraham was destined to be scripture like unto the Book of Mormon. Interestingly, Joseph had much to say about the scriptural authority of the Book of Mormon.

I love to repeat how Joseph Smith’s right arm man (Second Elder of the Church) Oliver Cowdery published an official statement representing the prophet’s views on the papyrus which rolls were said to contain the books of Abraham & Joseph. How was the Church to view these new finds?

MESSENGER AND ADVOCATE December 1835 Oliver Cowdery p.236 wrote: I might continue my communication to a great length upon the different figures and characters represented upon the two rolls, but I have no doubt my subject has already become sufficiently prolix for your patience: I will therefore soon cease for the present. – When the translation of these valuable documents will be completed, I am unable to say; neither can I give you a probable idea how large volumes they will make; but judging from their size, and the comprehensiveness of the language, one might reasonable expect to see a sufficient to develop much upon the mighty acts of the ancient men of God, and of his dealing with the children of men when they saw him face to face. Be there little or much, it must be an inestimable acquisition to our present scriptures, fulfilling, in a small degree, the word of the prophet: for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea.

Here we see that these documents can be quantified in volume size and will contain mighty acts of the ancient men of God, and of his dealings with the children of men when they saw him face to face. Then notice that Oliver says this must be an “acquisition to our present scriptures”. One gets the impression that brother Oliver is telling the Church that more scripture is coming just as soon as the prophet can translate it! Joseph Smith was in the business of restoring lost scripture. That is exactly what he did with the Book of Mormon and now he could do the same with the books of Abraham & Joseph!
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 am

The Times and Seasons presented the Book of Abraham as a revelation and that’s exactly how it was both received and perceived by the Latter-day Saints.

Here is more proof to that effect:

Times and Seasons, 1 September 1842 wrote: Joseph Smith Papers

But if we believe in present revelation, as published in the Times and Seasons last spring, Abraham, the prophet of the Lord, was laid upon the iron bedstead for slaughter; and the book of Jasher, which has not been disproved as a bad author, says he was cast into the fire of the Chaldees.
Who wrote that article? Whoever wrote it believed that the serialization of the life and times of Abraham contained the word of the Lord. No doubt there were others that believed so. As I’ve already said, there’s no reason that a midrashic composition, as we would describe it today, cannot also contain inspired/inspirational text and doctrinal exposition. And it’s important to remember that whoever wrote this article wrote it in third person. Unless, that is, Joseph Smith himself wrote it.
Shulem wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:34 am
Thus, the Book of Abraham published in the earlier edition is likened to revelation.

…the saints viewed the Book of Abraham that was published in the Times and Seasons as revelation.
This journalist/writer seemed to think so. But again, as I’ve repeatedly said, there doesn’t seem to be any proof/reason to believe that these writings were considered for canonization by either Joseph Smith or Brigham Young.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 5:24 am
Who wrote that article? Whoever wrote it believed that the serialization of the life and times of Abraham contained the word of the Lord. No doubt there were others that believed so. As I’ve already said, there’s no reason that a midrashic composition, as we would describe it today, cannot also contain inspired/inspirational text and doctrinal exposition. And it’s important to remember that whoever wrote this article wrote it in third person. Unless, that is, Joseph Smith himself wrote it.

The September 1, 1842 edition of the Times and Seasons in which you question the authorship came just months after Joseph Smith assumed full authority and editorship of the Times and Seasons and did so via the Revelation that I cited earlier. Smith gave the Revelation to the Twelve to publish the Book of Abraham as a testimony to the world. Smith claimed full responsibility for the content in these editions of the official Church periodical. The following clip bears witness that Smith was in complete charge of the testimony born to the world regarding revelation given to the world via the Times and Seasons:

A look at the opening statement of the Times and Seasons, 1 September 1842 will show that the Book of Abraham was given as a revelation to the Church and was considered to be on par with the scriptures:

TIMES AND SEASONS. CITY OF NAUVOO, THURSDAY, SEPT. 1, 1842. wrote:
PERSECUTION OF THE PROPHETS.
Since an attempt has been made by Missouri to arrest, or rather kidnap Joseph Smith, the prophet, we have heard many curious surmises; and lest some, who ought to know better, should cheat themselves into perdition, we have thought it would be no more than righteous to lay the matter before our readers in its true light. There is a strange notion afloat among the saints and sinners relative to the purity of the prophets. Some suppose, and some believe that the prophets were perfect and holy—and every body knew them to be so, and venerated them as the Lord’s annointed; but let us examine the scriptures and learn how the prophets sent at various times by the Lord, were treated by the saints and the wicked world. As to those who professed to have the knowledge of God, and be governed by revelation, we can not give a better sample than one that fell from the mouth of Jesus to the Jews—as follows:— Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers! how can ye escape the damnation of hell? Wherefore, behold, I send unto you prophets, and wise men, and scribes; and some of them ye shall kill and crucify; and some of them shall ye scourge in your synagogues, and persecute them from city to city; that upon you may come all the righteous blood shed upon the earth, from the blood of righteous Abel unto the blood of Zacharias, son of Barachias, whom ye slew between the Temple and the altar.
Abel was slain for his righteousness, and how many more up to the flood is not of much consequence to us now. But if we believe in present revelation, as published in the Times and Seasons last spring, Abraham, the prophet of the Lord, was laid upon the iron bedstead for slaughter; and the book of Jasher, which has not been disproved as a bad author, says he was cast into the fire of the Chaldees. Moses, the man of God, who killed an Egyptian persecutor of the children of Israel, was driven from his country and kindred. Elijah had to flee his country, for they sought his life,—and he was fed by ravens. Daniel was cast into a den of lions: Micah was fed on the bread of affliction; and Jeremiah was cast into the filthy hole under the Temple; and did these afflictions come upon these prophets of the Lord on account of transgression? No! It was the iron hand of persecution—like the chains of Missouri! And mark—when these old prophets suffered, the vengeance of God, in due time, followed and left the wicked opposers of the Lord’s annointed like Sodom and Gomorrah; like the Egyptians; like Jezebel, who was eaten by dogs; and like all Israel, which were led away captive, till the Lord had spent his fury upon them—even to this day.
Let us come into new Testament times—so many are ever praising the Lord and his apostles. We will commence with John the Baptist. When Herod’s edict went forth to destroy the young children, John was about six months older than Jesus, and came under this hellish edict, and Zachariah caused his mother to take him into the mountains, where he was raised on locusts and wild honey. When his father refused to discover his hiding place, and being the officiating high priest at the Temple that year, was slain by Herod’s order, between the porch and the altar, as Jesus said. John’s head was taken to Herod, the son of this infant murderer, in a charger—notwithstanding there was never a greater prophet born of a woman than him!
Jesus, the son of God was crucified with his hands and feet nailed to the wood!

1) Joseph Smith is chief editor of the Times and Seasons
2) Joseph Smith and those with him at the Times and Seasons make a declaration
3) “Let us examine the scriptures”
4) Those scriptures include the recent revelation of the Book of Abraham
5) The content of the Book of Abraham is on par with the rest of scripture

Chapter 1 of the Book of Abraham makes it clear that the very Book of Abraham is a derivative of the original scriptures had by the early Patriarchs and that Abraham was adding to that record. Hence, it is all scripture!

“Record” = scripture

Abraham 1:28 wrote:But I shall endeavor, hereafter, to delineate the chronology running back from myself to the beginning of the creation, for the records have come into my hands, which I hold unto this present time.
Abraham 1:31 wrote:But the records of the fathers, even the patriarchs, concerning the right of Priesthood, the Lord my God preserved in mine own hands; therefore a knowledge of the beginning of the creation, and also of the planets, and of the stars, as they were made known unto the fathers, have I kept even unto this day, and I shall endeavor to write some of these things upon this record, for the benefit of my posterity that shall come after me.

And now, lest there be any confusion as to WHO the author of the article in the Times and Seasons is we only need turn to the last paragraph made in this fantastic article about scripture:

In the former ages of the world, before the Saviour came in the flesh, “the saints” were baptised in the name of Jesus Christ to come, because there never was any other name whereby men could be saved; and after he came in the flesh and was crucified, then the saints were baptised in the name of Jesus Christ, crucified, risen from the dead and ascended into heaven, that they might be buried in baptism like him, and be raised in glory like him, that as there was but one Lord, one faith, one baptism, and one God and father of us all, even so there was but one door to the mansions of bliss. Amen.— Ed.

“Amen” from the “ED” which is the Chief Editor, Joseph Smith.

It is all too obvious to me. Joseph Smith gave the Book of Abraham to the world as additional scripture just as he did with the Book of Mormon. It just hadn’t been put in book form yet or canonized in that fashion. But canon was not closed to Joseph Smith, not by a long shot.

Joseph Smith Papers wrote:By committing his revelations to writing and then seeing them published and canonized, Smith provided his followers with new scripture based on biblical precedents. The manuscript books featured in this volume affirm his commitment to create and preserve sacred texts and constitute a fundamental part of his effort to document his dealings with God.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG,

It’s reasonable to think that Joseph Smith naturally felt the publication of the Book of Abraham in the Times and Seasons was a precursor to canonizing the work. It can’t be argued that this was specifically stated but it can be shown that it was implied and that the general attitude of the Church was that the work was a revelation and a sacred record penned by Abraham and is therefore scripture or the word of God.

What did Joseph Smith say about canon? In a series of doctrinally related tongue in cheek questions and answers, Smith made a definitive statement revealing that the canon of the Church was an open affair.

Elders’ Journal, October 1837 wrote:
Nineteenth—“Is not the canon of the Scriptures full?”

If it is, there is a great defect in the book, or else it would have said so.

The prophet asserts that canon is an open book and that nobody with any authority ever said it was closed. Hence, the saints had the Bible, Book of Mormon, and other latter-day revelations such as had in the D&C. It’s reasonable to think that the Book of Abraham could have been incorporated into a book after it was first introduced in published form in the Times and Seasons. Smith elected not to formalize the affair at that stage of time.