Shulem, Would you rather talk about Nibley in Celestial or in Telestial?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Cultellus

Shulem, Would you rather talk about Nibley in Celestial or in Telestial?

Post by Cultellus »

Everyone is welcome. Every opinion is welcome.* Therefore, do not "de-invite" anyone or suggest that they go elsewhere.
Last edited by Cultellus on Mon Sep 13, 2021 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Re: Shulem, Would you rather talk about Nibley in Celestial or in Telestial?

Post by Shulem »

Cultellus wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:28 pm
Hey Shulem,

If you were to tell us more about Hugh Nibley, would you rather do it here or where you can be unhinged?

I have lengthy experience in talking about Hugh Nibley's Book of Abraham apologetics on the old Mormon Discussion board as well as the old FAIR board. I have a heavy set of hinges and they can bend multiple ways in any given moment. Pivot here or pivot there, in an instant I can go from one extreme to another, suddenly, and in a flash.

Now, I really don't have desire right now to talk about Hugh Nibley either here or there unless the discussion involves certain people that I have a desire to engage. I hope that answers your question to your satisfaction. You are welcome to express or tell the board what you know or think about Hugh Nibley either in this forum or the one down below.

Thank you for your consideration.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

I recently finished the newest book on Nibley "Hugh Nibley Observed," and thoroughly enjoyed it. I took copious notes. I also recently re-found a paper I wrote and it never saw the light of day on Nibley and his penchant to motor mouth things way out of focus and kilter. "Hughbus Niblus Locquacitus" I can't help it, the man was incredible! I love his attitude of learning and its importance. He is a perfect foil against the ridiculously of Mormon leadership discouragement of learning these days. If one can ignore Nibley's Mormon bias in his writings, there is still very much that is very useful (not necessarily accurate or correct all the time, but no one is) and enlightening. I intend on making many videos of his information as I am interacting with it. I also recently wrapped up, once again, the best of the Hugh Nibley Collected Works book The Ancient State, my most favorite one of them. It is his penchant for not getting distracted from petty unimportant things (which the world thinks is absolutely vital for success and happiness) that most intrigues me, because Mormonism as a whole has now shifted from Mantic to Sophic chasing after just those sophic things that all ancients identified as a complete waste of time. It is, to be sure, a most intriguing situation! Mormonism has made the fatal shift from Mantic to Sophic - sliding all the way down to the muddy bottom of sophistic, and has foregone and lost leadership to mere management, and sought and acquired the two things which the Book of Mormon (as Nibley so very well pointed out to the church for literally decades) warned never go after, or sure destruction will follow, power and money.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:26 pm
I recently finished the newest book on Nibley "Hugh Nibley Observed," and thoroughly enjoyed it.

You, Sofee, are without a doubt the most qualified person on this board to discuss All-Things-Nibley. I for one avoided him with a 10-foot pole back in my apologetic days because I was able to perceive that something was definitely not right with his conclusions. I marveled somewhat that the brethren had simply left poor Nibley to stand alone out in the middle of the street to be run over by an endless supply of critics. Where was there ever a prophet in Israel when you need one? Nibley was like a sacrificial lamb on Abraham's altar. It was astounding that he allowed that to take place. In spite of all his downfalls or whatever you call them, he did have courage and he did it alone without the help of prophets, seers, and revelators. Their lips were sealed shut and they looked the other way.