Goodness in many revealed

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Re: Goodness in many revealed

Post by _Amore »

Bazooka wrote:
Quasimodo wrote:I'm old, but not that old, yet.

CFR

:lol:

Back to topic again... (Adhd...cfr. ;) )
This story of Nick Vujicic and his wife gives me goose bumps - amazing!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=s3QezBvN1BE
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Quasimodo wrote:
Guilty! I have a prejudice against anyone who is bigoted. ...(snip)...

ahh the old reliable "i'm rubber you're glue" rebuttal....nice to see you stepping up your game Quasi.

Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

On topic, I offer up the story of Alan Turing, a mathematician who Winston Churchill credited with the saving of thousands of lives during World War II. Thankfully for the lives he saved, he never got the memo that homosexuals contribute nothing to society. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Brad,
I think I owe you an apology... In the heated debate I could've phrases things better... Reminding all those with adhd ;) of the topic in the other hand... Contribution in regards to marital justification.

I've noticed the projection of fear and closed mindedness in calling me names like homophobe or bigot...just for pointing out unpleasant truths/medical facts and statistics.
I have family & friends with homosexual preferences and I don't fear them. I stood up for a gay friend getting teased, & even got hit twice getting in between bullies and underdogs... & i'm a puny girl!

A coworker has homosexual preferences, and most people avoid her because she's a bit socially awkward, but I reached out to her - gave her rides home and listened to her tell me of her troubles. I've reached out to others with homosexual preferences when other didn't. Do you call that FEAR or bigotry?

Once, I was thinking about homosexuality - wondering about the 2 different arguments for and against same-sex marriage etc... and wondering why the negative aspects of homosexuality were so often ignored. And I had a spiritual experience - a picture of 2 friends that both died of AIDS fell in front of me. It was very strange, but I got this sense that they wanted me to let people know of the negative consequences of homosexual practices. Even thinking about it now gives me the chills. So, I have researched and shared what I've learned, out of love, not fear.

Back to this thread's topic...

Great idea and helps on both sides...
https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1021022489
Last edited by Guest on Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_just me
_Emeritus

Post by _just me »

Lady Gaga is such a revelation of human kindness. She has done more humanitarian work than most people. She has been able to use her celebrity to raise awareness of issues LGBT people face. She has worked with the Trevor Project and started her own Born This Way Foundation. She has raised money for AIDS/HIV and over a dozen other causes.

What an inspiration and icon of goodness.
~Those who benefit from the status quo always attribute inequities to the choices of the underdog.~Ann Crittenden
~The Goddess is not separate from the world-She is the world and all things in it.~
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Although I disagree with her stand on birth control, I am awed at the compassion Mother Teresa showed. When asked how she could work with people who were so filthy, smelly & sick (especially with leprosy) she explained how she imagined they were Christ and it came naturally.

Martin Luther King Jr. was an example of goodness, and even a prophet - who saw a vision of a better way and lead people to it - peacefully and without force.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

Amore wrote:Brad,
I think I owe you an apology... In the heated debate I could've phrases things better... Reminding all those with adhd ;) of the topic in the other hand... Contribution in regards to marital justification.

I've noticed the projection of fear and closed mindedness in calling me names like homophobe or bigot...just for pointing out unpleasant truths/medical facts and statistics.
I have family & friends with homosexual preferences and I don't fear them. I stood up for a gay friend getting teased, & even got hit twice getting in between bullies and underdogs... & i'm a puny girl!

A coworker has homosexual preferences, and most people avoid her because she's a bit socially awkward, but I reached out to her - gave her rides home and listened to her tell me of her troubles. I've reached out to others with homosexual preferences when other didn't. Do you call that FEAR or bigotry?

Once, I was thinking about homosexuality - wondering about the 2 different arguments for and against same-sex marriage etc... and wondering why the negative aspects of homosexuality were so often ignored. And I had a spiritual experience - a picture of 2 friends that both died of AIDS fell in front of me. It was very strange, but I got this sense that they wanted me to let people know of the negative consequences of homosexual practices. Even thinking about it now gives me the chills. So, I have researched and shared what I've learned, out of love, not fear.

Back to this thread's topic...

Great idea and helps on both sides...
https://m.Facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 1021022489

I don't think you owe me an apology, but I very much appreciate the olive branch. I'd like to continue the conversation you started here in a new thread. Would it be okay with you if I copied and pasted your post above into a new thread?

Thanks.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Upon becoming a mother, I had a major paradigm change - I saw each person in a new way - like they could've been my child - that they were someone's child - as loveable as my sweet little one. I felt a deeper love - a striving for what's best - for everyone. Similar to how they say in the temple, Eve, is a symbolic representation of all women - mothers of ALL living.

So many people have treated my kids as if they were their own - and it really warms my heart! Also, when I was a "troubled teen" - there were some people who saw through my BS and believed in the goodness in me, as if I were their daughter, which inspired me to be better. I just listened to this song and thought of parents who have realized each person was a little one, so inherently lovable as their own... And projected the love they had for their own child on all who are or were children.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0NyTZPH5q4
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

Amore wrote:Image
Martin Luther King Jr. was an example of goodness, and even a prophet - who saw a vision of a better way and lead people to it - peacefully and without force.

Martin Luther King was also a notoriously rampant philanderer.
In his 1986 book Bearing the Cross, David Garrow wrote about a number of extramarital affairs, including one woman King saw almost daily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut ... f_adultery
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:Martin Luther King was also a notoriously rampant philanderer.
In his 1986 book Bearing the Cross, David Garrow wrote about a number of extramarital affairs, including one woman King saw almost daily.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Lut ... f_adultery

In your opinion were you hoping to reveal "goodness" or "badness" about MLKj here?...perhaps your response will be equally revealing of yourself?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent