Faith in Doubt

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Faith in Doubt

Post by _Amore »

1) All we think is subjectively limited so all our thoughts - including doubts - are faith-based.

2) To truly be faith, there must be some doubt, otherwise it is either knowing with 100% certainty, or the belief of such & without the belief you could be wrong, you'd set yourself up for worshipping falsehoods.

Hopes?
Doubts?
:smile:
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Re: Faith in Doubt

Post by _Bazooka »

Got no idea what point you're making or what question you are asking....do I need to have faith to understand you?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Amore wrote:1) All we think is subjectively limited so all our thoughts - including doubts - are faith-based.

2) To truly be faith, there must be some doubt, otherwise it is either knowing with 100% certainty, or the belief of such & without the belief you could be wrong, you'd set yourself up for worshipping falsehoods.

Hopes?
Doubts?

Amore, I always enjoy your posts and insights...but....

the majority of readers here are not interested in (i.e. insulted by) self-inspection at the level you are suggesting.
To admit that all things are uncertain inevitably concludes with several things being "possible"...and "possible" is the most devastating word to an atheist.
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
I can tell if a person is judgmental just by looking at them
what is chaos to the fly is normal to the spider - morticia addams
If you're not upsetting idiots, you might be an idiot. - Ted Nugent
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Bazooka,
Come again in 10 years and maybe then you'll understand, I hope.
Line upon line.

Subgenius,
It was a shot in the nihilistic cult.

Seriously, though, my intent was/is to shed light on the fact that life is not black or white. No need to blindly believe any group mentality- Atheist or Mormon etc. And no need to succumb to depressingly consuming doubt that strips life of meaning. Even those who adhere to such meaningless bias are still exercising faith in such doubt, when they are as clueless as anybody else.

The way is narrow because most people want to join herd mentalities (including A-theism) rather than consider things independent of such loyalties.
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

Amore wrote:1) All we think is subjectively limited so all our thoughts - including doubts - are faith-based.

Hopes?
Doubts?

Thomas S. Monson

Faith and doubt cannot exist in the same mind at the same time, for one will dispel the other.

Someone does not agree with you.
_RockSlider
_Emeritus

Post by _RockSlider »

Joseph Smith's "Lectures on Faith" tells us that true faith requires certain knowledge (not the wishy washy definition of faith one typically hears), no doubt can exists for real/true mustard seed moving mountains level of faith to work.

So what say ye is the relationship of belief and faith?
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Themis wrote:

Hopes?
Doubts?

Thomas S. Monson

Faith and doubt cannot exist in the same mind at the same time, for one will dispel the other.

Someone does not agree with you.

I got a sense that the OP was noting how doubt is often the precursor to faith. ...or even that doubt itself is an act of faith. ...
Or are you of the idea that the OP is suggesting some sorry of cognitive dissonance. ..or rather, spiritual dissonance?
Seek freedom and become captive of your desires...seek discipline and find your liberty
_Themis
_Emeritus

Post by _Themis »

subgenius wrote:I got a sense that the OP was noting how doubt is often the precursor to faith. ...or even that doubt itself is an act of faith. ...
Or are you of the idea that the OP is suggesting some sorry of cognitive dissonance. ..or rather, spiritual dissonance?

I only showed someone does not agree.
_Bazooka
_Emeritus

Post by _Bazooka »

subgenius wrote:I got a sense that the OP was noting how doubt is often the precursor to faith. ...or even that doubt itself is an act of faith. ...

It's only Mormon doubts that one should doubt though, right?
If a Catholic has doubts about their faith because of what Mormon missionaries have told them, they should first doubt their doubts before doubting their Catholic faith, right?
That said, with the Book of Mormon, we are not dealing with a civilization with no written record. What we are dealing with is a written record with no civilization. (Runtu, Feb 2015)
_subgenius
_Emeritus

Post by _subgenius »

Bazooka wrote:

It's only Mormon doubts that one should doubt though, right?
If a Catholic has doubts about their faith because of what Mormon missionaries have told them, they should first doubt their doubts before doubting their Catholic faith, right?

I doubt that.