Take the best leave the rest

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Take the best leave the rest

Post by _Res Ipsa »

This is something I agree with you on, Amore. I’m a cafeteria human, I guess.
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_SuperDell
_Emeritus

Post by _SuperDell »

The fact leadership actively lies to try and convince you they have The Truth makes it all dirty. You buy into part of it, you buy into it all.
“Those who never retract their opinions love themselves more than they love truth.”
― Joseph Joubert
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

Amore wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 am
My approach to the church, and really everything is to take the best and leave the rest.

In your opinion and experience what is the best of the church?
And what is not good?
I so admire your perseverance, Amore. I can think of nothing you should be ashamed of. I’ve felt dupped before, but from nothing as deeply as troubling as a crisis of faith. Maybe or maybe not. I did have something happen once where I viewed my identity from a what a person I was close to thought of me. When that trust was shattered, my world came tumbling down. Not only was trust shattered, but I was shattered. In many ways, it was a crisis of identity. It took years to reach a place of peace. I suppose in some ways; some good, I’ll never be the same, yet there is still a small part of me that keeps my guard up, and sadly probably always will.

I work for an agency where employees are expected to perform to the full scope of their practice, which is a good thing, but when the workplace fosters a sense of competition and one up’edness among staff members, people get ugly and loose focus on the mission at hand. One has to take care not to get caught up in that.

in my opinion, the doctrine of the church is the problem.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

msnobody wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:04 am
Amore wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:02 am
My approach to the church, and really everything is to take the best and leave the rest.

In your opinion and experience what is the best of the church?
And what is not good?
I so admire your perseverance, Amore. I can think of nothing you should be ashamed of. I’ve felt dupped before, but from nothing as deeply as troubling as a crisis of faith. Maybe or maybe not. I did have something happen once where I viewed my identity from a what a person I was close to thought of me. When that trust was shattered, my world came tumbling down. Not only was trust shattered, but I was shattered. In many ways, it was a crisis of identity. It took years to reach a place of peace. I suppose in some ways; some good, I’ll never be the same, yet there is still a small part of me that keeps my guard up, and sadly probably always will.

I work for an agency where employees are expected to perform to the full scope of their practice, which is a good thing, but when the workplace fosters a sense of competition and one up’edness among staff members, people get ugly and loose focus on the mission at hand. One has to take care not to get caught up in that.

in my opinion, the doctrine of the church is the problem.
Thanks. Much is making the most of compromises with hubby.

Which doctrine is most problematic to you?

To me, financial corruption and cult mentality are most harmful.
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:14 pm
This is something I agree with you on, Amore. I’m a cafeteria human, I guess.
Good to find some common ground with you, ResIspa.

I believe every Mormon is a cafeteria Mormon - except maybe those who are much more blindly obedient no matter what it is.
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

I suppose if I had to choose, it would be the doctrine(s) of eternal progression and pre-existence.
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV
_msnobody
_Emeritus

Post by _msnobody »

I suppose if I had to choose, it would be the doctrine(s) of eternal progression and pre-existence.

You asked earlier,”What is the best of the church?” My answer to that the would be the people or members. :)
"The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. He fulfills the desire of those who fear him; he also hears their cry and saves them.” Psalm 145:18-19 ESV