What is the "bitter cup" in Christianity?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: What is the "bitter cup" in Christianity?

Post by _moksha »

To fully understand, one needs to meditate over this LDS koan:
The pretzel is the grand key.
When you have mastered the internal pretzelized logic, you will be permitted to enter the inner Sanctum of Apologetics found deep in the Provo Valley.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Hagoth
_Emeritus

Post by _Hagoth »

moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:43 am
To fully understand, one needs to meditate over this LDS koan:
The pretzel is the grand key.
When you have mastered the internal pretzelized logic, you will be permitted to enter the inner Sanctum of Apologetics found deep in the Provo Valley.
Pretzels and coffee? I don't think so. It's all about the donut, man: One Eternal Round.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill and Ted
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” - Mark Twain
_kairos
_Emeritus

Post by _kairos »

Whenever i hear Mormons speak of how jesus accomplished "most " of the atonement in the garden of gethesame, i haul out john 18:11 "jesus said to peter(after peter had lopped off the ear of malchus) "put away your sword into its scabbard. Shall I not drink the cup that the Father gave me?"

since the scourging and crucifixion would occur in the next 12-14 hours, that is in the future, jesus was saying in the garden he had NOT drunk the cup of his mission, that is to redeem humankind past, present and future of their sins,reconcile humankind to God and accomplish all that the atonement means(ok protestants ,catholics, Mormons etc disagree on some elements, but you get what i mean i hope).

was the cup bitter? if it means giving up one's life in an extremely suffering way physically and emotionally and every other way, i would say yes.

now why had mcconkie missed that john 18:11- he had to have if he cast his lot in the "atonement occurred in the garden" scenario.

just sayin
k
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Kairos, The Mormon idea of atonement in the garden has always struck me as odd. I could not see a purpose for such an idea beyond just being a bit different than tradition. I reread you post and found myself wondering about your question.

I think it is clearly important that the atonement was done publicly. At the least if done publicly it is something people know about unlike experience in the garden. Publicly there is the role of priest in the action suggesting sacrifice. There is also the role of Rome which connects Jesus suffering to the thousands of other individuals that Rome caused to suffer like Jesus.

I wonder if it is important that Jesus atonement is suffering he shared in kind and degree with many other people?