The Trinity Explained

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: The Trinity Explained

Post by _huckelberry »

Mittens wrote:God is three separate and distinct persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit ) Man is three separate and distinct parts ( body, soul and Spirit) This is the image which makes us like God 1X1X1= 1

There is a puzzle here creating confusion. Since when is body soul spirit of a man all the same substance? Well there is some uncertainty about what a soul and spirit are though there is room for people to propose answers as they wish. Still despite different ideas a spirit is not usually thought of as a combination of carbon oxygen nitrogen and other elements as is the body.

Or is the idea of bodies composed of atoms one of those unbiblical sciencey things.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:
Mittens wrote:God is three separate and distinct persons (Father, Son and Holy Spirit ) Man is three separate and distinct parts ( body, soul and Spirit) This is the image which makes us like God 1X1X1= 1

There is a puzzle here creating confusion. Since when is body soul spirit of a man all the same substance? Well there is some uncertainty about what a soul and spirit are though there is room for people to propose answers as they wish. Still despite different ideas a spirit is not usually thought of as a combination of carbon oxygen nitrogen and other elements as is the body.

Or is the idea of bodies composed of atoms one of those unbiblical sciencey things.

The trinity is a fiction that people are willing to kill each other over. The concept solves no problems, creates no avenue for research or data, is unfalsifiable. It's an evolved fantasy to obscure numerous logical fallacies. At this point it's basically a feature in marketing that's more sizzle than steak. :lol:

Now if humans want to acknowledge that reality is complex, that beings have many constituent and seemingly contrary parts, you will find me in agreement. But the trinity wars are artifacts of cult warfare, tribal identity signifiers without intrinsic content or worth, more valuable as weaponized against competing tribes/factions.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov wrote:The trinity is a fiction that people are willing to kill each other over. The concept solves no problems, creates no avenue for research or data, is unfalsifiable. It's an evolved fantasy to obscure numerous logical fallacies. At this point it's basically a feature in marketing that's more sizzle than steak. :lol:

Now if humans want to acknowledge that reality is complex, that beings have many constituent and seemingly contrary parts, you will find me in agreement. But the trinity wars are artifacts of cult warfare, tribal identity signifiers without intrinsic content or worth, more valuable as weaponized against competing tribes/factions.

Maksukov,

The trinity wars??? sounds like star wars. What specifically are you referring to? I know of nobody willing to kill over the doctrine of the trinity. ( except perhaps some Islamic extremist )

I agree that no objective experiment will determine the accuracy or lack of accuracy for the formulae. On the other hand I have no idea what sort logical fallacies you see the trinity evolving to obscure.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:
Maksutov wrote:The trinity is a fiction that people are willing to kill each other over. The concept solves no problems, creates no avenue for research or data, is unfalsifiable. It's an evolved fantasy to obscure numerous logical fallacies. At this point it's basically a feature in marketing that's more sizzle than steak. :lol:

Maksukov,

The trinity wars??? sounds like star wars. What specifically are you referring to? I know of nobody willing to kill over the doctrine of the trinity. ( except perhaps some Islamic extremist )

I agree that no objective experiment will determine the accuracy or lack of accuracy for the formulae. On the other hand I have no idea what sort logical fallacies you see the trinity evolving to obscure.

Disagreement with the trinity promulgated in the Constantinian era made people heretics. Heretics were targeted for torture and killing from early on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... l_heresies

There is no unitary Christian view of the trinity. The concept is sectarian, the conflicts are about internal power dynamics and not about divinity, in my opinion.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov.

Ok, so trinity wars refers to the 4 and 5th century Roman Empire and the emperor's desire to hold a fragmenting empire together.

I wonder why people found something worth arguing about there? Why not just say ok whenever the emperor changed and had a different view? This question is a different way of asking what logical fallacies were being covered over by the Trinity doctrine.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

huckelberry wrote:Maksutov.

Ok, so trinity wars refers to the 4 and 5th century Roman Empire and the emperor's desire to hold a fragmenting empire together.

I wonder why people found something worth arguing about there? Why not just say ok whenever the emperor changed and had a different view? This question is a different way of asking what logical fallacies were being covered over by the Trinity doctrine.

People fought over what day the Sabbath was on. :lol:
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

The Trinity explained below

https://i.imgur.com/tJmtomW.jpg
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:
Mittens wrote:The Trinity explained below

https://i.imgur.com/tJmtomW.jpg

https://www.unitarian.org.uk/pages/unit ... -explained
Which only goes to demonstrate that --- “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll be sure to fall for anything.”
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:
Maksutov wrote:https://www.unitarian.org.uk/pages/unitarianism-explained
Which only goes to demonstrate that --- “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll be sure to fall for anything.”

I didn't know you were a follower of Hinckley. :lol: