The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

Post by _Maksutov »

Well, there ya go. You belong to the church of the devil. :lol:

Don't feel too bad about it. You don't want to be in celestial kingdom with all of those blowhards anyway.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Do you ever get the feeling that maybe it all started out as a prank?

Some guy having a laugh telling them about the Angel Moron and seeing them lap it all up. Then actually selling them on the Book of MoreMon-ey. It is pretty funny. :lol: But apparently somebody wasn't laughing at the end of Joseph's career.
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 15

And it happened after I, Nephi, had been carried away in the Spirit, and seen all these things, I returned to the tent of my dad.

And it occurred that I noticed my brothers, and they were disputing with each other regarding those things that my dad had said to them.

Because he really spoke many great things to them, which were hard to comprehend, unless a man would inquire of the Lord; and they having stubborn hearts --- they did not look to the Lord as they ought.

And presently I, Nephi, was grieved because of the stubbornness of their hearts, and also, because of the things which I had seen, and knew they must certainly come to pass because of the great wickedness of the children of humans.

And it happened that I was overcome because of my afflictions, for I considered that my afflictions were beyond measure, because of the destruction of my people, for I beheld their fall.

And it occurred that after I had received strength I spoke to my brethren, desiring to know from them the cause of their dispute.

And they said, "Behold, we cannot understand what our father says concerning the natural branches of the olive tree, and also the Gentiles.

And I replied to them, "Have you beseeched the Lord?

And they answered, "We have not; for the Lord makes nothing known to us.

"Observe," I said to them, "Why don't you keep the commandments of the Lord? Why will you perish, because of your stubborn hearts?

Do you forget what the Lord said? If you will have stubborn hearts, and ask me in faith, believing that you will receive, diligently keeping my commandments, surely these things shall be made known to you.

Note, I told you, that the house of Israel was compared to an olive tree, by the Spirit of the Lord which was in our dad. And observe that we are not separated from the house of Israel, and aren't we a branch of the house of Israel?

And now, the thing which our dad means concerning the grafting in of the natural branches through the completeness of the Gentiles, is, that in later times, when our descendants shall dwindle in unbelief, yes, for over many years, and generations after the Messiah shall appear in body to the children of humanity, then will the complete cgospel of the Messiah come to the Gentiles, and from the Gentiles to what is left of our descendants.

And in that day our descendants shall know that they are of the house of Israel, and that they are the covenant people of the Lord. And then shall they realize and come to the knowledge of their ancestors, and also to the understanding of the gospel of their Redeemer, which was preached to their fathers by him; therefore, they shall come to the knowledge of their Redeemer and the very points of his doctrine, that they may know how to come to him and be saved.

And then at that time will they not rejoice and give praise to their eternal God, their rock and their salvation? Yes, at that time, will they not receive the strength and nourishment from the true vine? Yes, will they not come to the true fold of God?

Note, I say to you, Yes; they shall be remembered again among the house of Israel; they shall be grafted in, being a natural branch of the true olive tree...

And this is what our father means; that it will not occur until after they are scattered by the Gentiles; and he means that it shall come by the Gentiles, that the Lord may show his power to the Gentiles, for the very cause that he shall be rejected by the Jews -- the house of Israel.

Therefore, our dad has not spoken of our descendants only, but also the entire house of Israel, pointing to the covenant which should be fulfilled in the latter days; which covenant the Lord made to our father Abraham, saying, "By your descendants shall all the families of the earth be blessed.'"

And it occurred that I, Nephi, spoke a lot to them regarding these things. Yes, I spake unto them concerning the restoration of the Jews in the latter days.

And I did repeat to them the words of Isaiah, who spoke concerning the restoration of the Jews -- the house of Israel. And after they were restored they should no more be confused, neither should they be scattered again. And it occurred that I did speak many words to my brothers, that they were pacified and humbled themselves before the Lord.

And it happened that they also asked me, "What is this thing which our father saw in a dream --- the tree which he saw?"

And I said to them, "It was a representation of the tree of life."

And they said to me, "What is the rod of iron which our father saw leading to the tree?"

And I said to them that it was the word of God; and whoever hearkened to the word of God, and hold fast to it, they would never perish; neither could temptations and fiery darts of the adversary overpower them to blindness -- leading them away to destruction.

Therefore, I, Nephi, did prod them to heed the word of the Lord. Yes, I did prod them with all the energy of my soul, and with all the faculty which I possessed, that they would heed the word of God and remember to keep his commandments continually in all things.

And they said to me, "What is the meaning of the river of water which our father saw?"

And I replied that the water which my dad saw was filthiness; and he was so absorbed in other things that he didn't see the filthiness of the water.

And I said to them that it was an awful chasm, which separated the wicked from the tree of life, and the saints of God.

And I said to them that it was a representation of that awful hell, which the angel said to me was prepared for the wicked.

And I said to them that our father also saw that the justice of God divided the wicked from the righteous; and the brightness of such was like the brightness of a flaming fire, which ascends up to God forever and ever without end.

And they said to me, "Does this mean torment of the body in the days of probation, or does it mean the final state of the soul after the death of the temporal body, or does it regard things which are temporary?"

And it happened that I said to them that it was a representation of things both temporal and spiritual; for the day will arrive that they be judged regarding their works, yes, even the works which were done by temporary bodies in their days of probation.

Therefore, if they die in their wickedness they must be cast off. Also as to the things which are spiritual, pertaining to righteousness; therefore, they must be brought to stand before God, to be judged of their works. And if their works are filthy they are also filthy, and if they be filthy --- they cannot dwell in the kingdom of God; unless that kingdom of God be filthy also.

But note, I say to you, the kingdom of God is not filthy, and no unclean thing may enter into the kingdom of God; wherefore there must be a place of filthiness prepared for that which is filthy.

And there is a place prepared, yes, even that awful hell of which I have spoken, and the devil prepares it. Therefore the final state of men's souls is to dwell in the kingdom of God, or to be cast out because of that justice of which I spoke.

Therefore, the wicked are rejected from the righteous, and also from that tree of life, whose fruit is most precious and most desired above all other fruit. Yes, and it is the greatest of all the gifts of God. And this I said to my brothers. So be it.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:Well, there ya go. You belong to the church of the devil. :lol:

Don't feel too bad about it. You don't want to be in celestial kingdom with all of those blowhards anyway.

Actually, I believe that the reference is to the Roman Catholic church. Protestant denominations from the time of the Reformation all believed that the RCC was the great harlot, even to today in some circles. The Roman Catholics were despised for their idolatry of the saints including Mary (calling her the mother of God and asking her for intercession); the bestowing of salvation through the sale of indulgences; homage to statuary and paintings; the discouragement of personal Bible study; the Inquisition; priest being placed in a place of mediator (usurping Jesus Christ); transubstantiation/the perpetual re-sacrifice of Christ (body & blood/the elements) --- also known as the MASS, and finally both the spiritual and political control of the POPE.

North America didn't even accept a Roman Catholic President -- until Kennedy ---- and oddly the Bible was removed from opening exercises in public schools during his administration. I firmly believe that Eisenhower would have done something to rectify that situation. In any case, I feel that either Kennedy didn't understand the ramifications or was unwilling to rock the boat... In any case it was shortly afterwards that he was assassinated and everything was swept under the carpet.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

The Roman Catholics were despised for their idolatry of the saints including Mary (calling her the mother of God and asking her for intercession);

Reminds me of 1st Nephi 11:18 from the 1830 edition of the Book of Mormon about Mary as the mother of God.

11:18 And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin which thou seest is the mother of God after the manner of the flesh.

https://www.josephsmithpapers.org/paper ... on-1830/31
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 16

Presently, it so happened that after I, Nephi, had finished lecturing my brothers, note that they said to me, "You have told us difficult things, more than we can handle."

And it occurred that I told them that I understood that I had said difficult things regarding the wicked truthfully; and the righteous have I justified, and testified that they should be lifted up at the last day; whereas, the guilty take the truth to be difficult, for it slices them to the very core.

And now my brothers, if you were righteous and were willing to listen to the truth, and heed it, that you might walk uprightly before God, then you would not grumble regarding the truth, and say, "You say difficult things about us."

And it happen that I, Nephi, did diligently implore my brothers, to keep the commandments of the Lord.

And it occurred that they humbled themselves before the Lord; so much that I had joy and great hopes for them, that they would walk in righteous paths.

Presently, all these things were said and done as my dad dwelt lived in a tent in the valley which he labeled Lemuel.

And it happened that I, Nephi, took one of the daughters of Ishmael to wed; and also, my brothers selected daughters of Ishmael to marry; and also Zoram took the eldest daughter of Ishmael to wed.

And so my Dad fulfilled all the commands of the Lord which had been appointed him. And also, I, Nephi, had been exceedingly blessed by the Lord.

And it occurred that the voice of the Lord spoke to my dad at night, and commanded him that the following day he should journey into the wilderness.

And it happened that as my dad arose in the morning and exited the tent door, to his great astonishment he observed upon the ground a round ball of odd craftsmanship. And it was of fine brass. And inside the ball were two spindles --- and the one pointed the way we should go into the wilderness.

And it occurred that we did gather up whatever things we should carry into the wilderness, and the remainder of our provisions which the Lord had provided us. And we did collect seeds of every kind that we might carry into the wilderness.

And it happened that we did pack our tents and departed into the wilderness, across the river Laman.

And it occurred that we traveled for four days, nearly a south-southeast direction, and we pitched our tents again; and we called the location Shazer.

And it transpired that we took our bows and our arrows, and headed out into the wilderness to slay food for our families; and after did so, we returned to our families in the wilderness, to the place of Shazer. And we went again into the wilderness, following the same direction, keeping to the most fertile parts of the wilderness, which were on the borders near the Red Sea.

And it happened that we traveled for many days, hunting along the way, with our bows, arrows, stones. and slings.

And we followed the directions of the ball, which led us in the more fertile parts of the wilderness.

And after we had traveled for many days, we pitched our tents for sometime, that we might again rest ourselves and obtain food for our families.

And it came to pass that as I, Nephi, went forth to slay food, behold, I did break my bow, which was made of fine steel; and after I did break my bow, behold, my brethren were angry with me because of the loss of my bow, for we did obtain no food.

And it occurred that we returned without food to our families. And being quite tired, because of their travels, they suffered much for the lack of food.

And it transpired that Laman and Lemuel and the sons of Ishmael did begin to grumble excessively, because of their suffering and affliction in the wilderness. And also my Dad began to grumble against the Lord his God. Yes, and they were all so very upset, that they did grumble against the Lord.

Presently it happened that I, Nephi, having been afflicted with my brothers because of the loss of my bow, and their bows having lost their springs, it began to be began to be most difficult, yes, so much that we could not obtain food.

And it happened that I, Nephi, spoke a lot to my brothers, because they had closed their hearts again, even to complaining against the Lord their God.

And it transpired that I, Nephi, did make a wooden bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; whereas, I armed myself with a bow and arrow, with a sling and stones. And I said to my dad: Where shall I go to obtain food?

And it occurred that he did inquire of the Lord, for they had humbled themselves because of my words; for I said many things to them by my soul power.

And it transpired that the voice of the Lord came to my dad; and he was truly lectured because of his grumbling against the Lord, so much that he was brought down to deep sorrow.

And it happened that the voice of the Lord said to him, "Look upon the ball, and observe what is written."

And it occurred that when my father observed the things which were written upon the ball, he did fear and trembled much, and also my brothers and the sons of Ishmael and our wives.

And it happened that I, Nephi, beheld the pointers which were in the ball, that they did work according to the faith and diligence and heed which we gave them.

And there was also written upon them new writing -- plain to be read, which gave us understanding regarding the Lord's ways. And the writing changed from now and again, according to the faith and diligence which we gave it. And thus we see that by small means the Lord can bring great things.

And it transpired that I, Nephi, did go up to the mountain peaks, according to the directions which were provided on the ball.

And it occurred that I slayed wild beasts, insomuch that I obtained food for our families.

And it happened that I did return to our tents, carrying the beasts which I had killed. And presently when they saw that I had obtained food, they were filled with happiness! And it occurred that they humbled themselves before the Lord, and did give thanks to him.

And it transpired that we resumed our journey, traveling nearly the same course as at first; and after we had traveled for many days we pitched our tents again, that we might stay for a while.

And it occurred that Ishmael died, and was buried in the place which was called Nahom.

And it transpired that Ishmael's daughters mourned exceedingly, because of the loss of their father, and because of their afflictions in the wilderness. And they grumbled against my dad, because he brought them out of the land of Jerusalem, saying, "Our father is dead. Yes, and we have wandered much in the wilderness, and we have suffered much affliction, hunger, thirst, and fatigue ---and after all this suffering we must perish in the wilderness with hunger.

And this they grumbled against my dad and also against me. And they were desirous to return again to Jerusalem.

And Laman said to Lemuel and also to Ishmael's sons, "Behold, let us slay our father, and our brother Nephi, who has taken it upon himself to be our ruler and teacher --- who are his older brothers.

Now, he says that the Lord has talked with him, and also that angels have ministered to him. But note, we know that he lies to us; and he tells us these things, and he manipulates many things through his cunning arts, that he may deceive our eyes, thinking, perhaps, that he may lead us away into some strange wilderness. And after he has led us away, he has thought to make himself king and ruler over us, that he may do with us according to his will and pleasure." And after this manner did my brother Laman stir up their hearts to anger.

And it transpired that the Lord was with us, yes, even the voice of the Lord came and spoke many words to them, and did lecture them a lot. And afterwards they turned away their anger, and repented of their sins, so much that the Lord did bless us again with food, that we did not perish.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi Chapter 17

And it occurred that we continued our journey in the wilderness; and we traveled mostly eastward from that time on. And we traveled and struggled through many difficulties in the wilderness; and our women bore children there.

And so many were the blessings of the Lord upon us, that while we lived on raw meat in the wilderness, our women provided much breast milk for their children, and were strong, yes, even like the men; and they began to bear their journey without moaning.

And so we see that the commandments of God must be fulfilled. And if it be that the children of men keep the commandments of God he will nourish and strengthen them, and provide means whereby they can accomplish the thing which he has commanded them; therefore, he provided for us while we sojourned in the wilderness.

And we sojourned for many years, yes, eight years in the wilderness.

And we came to the land which we called a Bountiful, because of its abundance of fruit and wild honey --- and these things were prepared by the Lord that we would not perish. And we saw the sea, which we labeled Irreantum --- interpreted: many waters.

And it happened that we pitched our tents by the seashore; and regardless that we suffered many afflictions and difficulty, yes, so much that we cannot write them all, we were very happy when we came to the seashore; and we called the place Bountiful, because of its abundant fruit.

And it transpired that after I, Nephi, had been in the land of Bountiful for many days, the voice of the Lord came to me, saying, "Arise, and go to the mountain. And it occurred that I got up and climbed the mountain, and cried to the Lord.

And it happened that the Lord spoke unto me, saying, "You shall build a ship, according to how I shall show you, that I may carry your people across these waters."

And I said, "Lord, where shall I go that I may find ore to smelt, that I may make tools to construct the ship after the manner which you have shown me?"

And it transpired that the Lord told me where I should go to find ore, that I might make tools.

And it occurred that I, Nephi, made bellows from the skins of beasts to fan the fire. And after I had made bellows, to fan the fire, I smote two stones together to make fire.

For the Lord had not earlier allowed us to make much fire, as we journeyed in the wilderness; for he said, "I will make your food become sweet, that you don't cook it.

And I will also be your light in the wilderness; and I will prepare the way before you, if you keep my commandments; therefore, as long as you shall keep my commandments you shall be led towards the promised land; and you shall know that it is by me that you are led."

Yes and additionally the Lord said, "After you have arrived in the promised land, you shall know that I, the Lord, am God; and will deliver you from destruction; yes, I did bring you out of the land of Jerusalem."

Therefore, I, Nephi, strove to keep the commandments of the Lord, and I encouraged my brothers to  be faithful and diligent.

And it occurred that I did make tools of the ore which I smelted from the rock.

And when my brothers saw that I was about to build a ship, they began to grumble against me, saying, "Our brother is a fool, for he thinks he can build a ship; yes, and cross these great waters."

And so my brothers complained against me, and didn't want to work, for they didn't believe that I could build a ship; nor that I was instructed by the Lord.

And now it transpired that I, Nephi, was very upset because of their stubborn hearts. And when they saw that I became sorrowful they were gleeful, so much that they rejoiced regarding me, saying: "We knew that you couldn't construct a ship, because we knew that you lacked  judgment; therefore, cannot accomplish so great a task.

And you are like our father --- who is led about by the foolish imaginations of his heart. Yes, he led us out of the land of Jerusalem, and we wandered in the wilderness for all these years; and our women have slaved, being pregnant; and they have borne children in the wilderness and suffered all things, short of death; and it would have been better that they had died before they came out of Jerusalem than to have suffered all this.

Note, these many years we have suffered in the wilderness, when we might have enjoyed our possessions and the land of our inheritance. Yes, and we might have been happy.

And we know that the people who were in the land of Jerusalem were righteous; for they kept the statutes and judgments of the Lord, and all his commandments, according to the law of Moses. Therefore, we know that they are a righteous people; and our father judged them, and led us away because we listened to his words --- yes, and our brother is just like him."  And in this way my brothers grumbled and complain against us.

And it occurred that I, Nephi, spoke to them, saying, "Do you believe that our ancestors, who were the children of Israel, would have been led out of the hands of the Egyptians if they had not listened to the words of the Lord?

Yes, do you imagine that they would have been led out of bondage, if the Lord had not commanded Moses to lead them out of bondage?

Now you know that the children of Israel were in bondage; with much to do, which were hard to bear; therefore, you know that it must be a good thing for them, that they should be brought from bondage.

Now you know that Moses was commanded by the Lord to do that great work and that by his word the waters of the Red Sea were divided, and they passed through on dry ground.

But you know that the Egyptian armies of Pharaoh were drowned in the Red Sea.

And you also know that they (Israel) were fed with manna in the wilderness.

Yes, and you also know that Moses, by his word through God's power in him, smote the rock, and water emerged, that the children of Israel might quench their thirst.

And regardless of being led (the Lord their God and Redeemer, going before them, leading them by day and giving light to them nightly, and doing all things for them which were necessary for man to have), they hardened their hearts and blinded their minds, and reviled against Moses and the true and living God.

And it transpired that according to his word he destroyed for them; and lead them; and did all things for them; and nothing was accomplished unless it was by his word.

And after they had crossed the river Jordan he did make them mighty to the driving out of the children of the land, yes, to scattering them to destruction.

And now, do you suppose that the children of this land, who were in the land of promise, being driven out by our fathers   --- do you imagine that they were righteous? Note, I say to you, No.

Do you suppose that our ancestors would have been more choice than they if they had been righteous? I say unto you, Nay.

Note, the Lord esteems all flesh as one; he that is smartest is favored of God. But behold, this people rejected every word of God, and they were full of iniquity. And the full wrath of God was upon them. And the Lord cursed the land against them, and blessed it towards our ancestors. Yes, he cursed it against them to their destruction, and he did blessed it to our ancestors to their gaining power over it.

Note, the Lord created the earth that it should be inhabited; and he created his children that they should possess it.

And he raised a righteous nation, and destroyed the nations of the wicked.

And he led away the righteous into precious lands, and the wicked he destroyed, and cursed the land against them for their sake.

He rules high in the heavens, for it is his throne, and this earth is his footstool.

And he loves those who will have him for their God. Note, he loved our ancestors, and he made a covenant with them; yes, even Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and he remembered the covenants which he had made. Therefore, he brought them out of the land of Egypt.

And he did straighten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they closed their hearts, even as you have; and the Lord straightened them because of their iniquity. He sent flaming flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of or the easiness of the procedure, there were many who died.

And they closed their hearts from time to time, and they did yell at Moses, and against God also; nevertheless, you know that they were led onward by his matchless power into the land of promise.

And presently, after all these things, the time has come that they have become wicked, yes, nearly ripe, And I know they are about to be destroyed today; for I know that the day must surely come that they be destroyed, save a only a remnant, who shall be led away into captivity.

Therefore, the Lord commanded my dad to depart into the wilderness. And the Jews also sought to take away his life; yes, and you also have sought to take his life. Therefore, you are murderers in your hearts and like them.

You are swift to do iniquity but slow to remember the Lord your God. You have seen a angel, and he spoke to you. Yes, you have heard his voice now and again; and he has spoken to you in a still small voice, but you were beyond feelings, that you could not feel his words. Therefore, he has spoken to you like the voice of thunder, which caused the earth to quake as if it were to break apart.

And you also know that by the power of his almighty word he can cause the earth to pass away. Yes, you know that by his word he can cause the rough places to become smooth, and smooth places shall be broken up. Oh, then, why is it, that you be so stubborn?

Note, my soul is torn in anguish because of you, and my heart is sorrowful lest you shall be cast away forever. Note, I am full of the Spirit of God, so much so that my frame has no ability.

And presently it happened that when I had spoke these words they were angry with me, and were desirous to throw me into the ocean depths. And as they came to lay their hands upon me I spake to them, saying "In the name of the Almighty God, I command you that you do not touch me, for I am filled with God's power, even to the consumption of my flesh; and whoever shall lay his hands upon me shall shrivel even as a dried reed; and he shall be nothing before the power of God, for God shall kill him.

And it transpired that I, Nephi, said to them that they should grumble no more against their father; neither should they nor work labor for me, for God had commanded that I should build a ship

And I said to them, "If God commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.

And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has brought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me in ship building -- so that I can build a ship?"

And it happened that I, Nephi, said many things to my brothers, so much that they were confused and could not contend with me; neither did they lay their hands upon me or touch me with their fingers --- for many days. Now they didn't do this unless they should shrivel before me, so powerful was the Spirit of God; and this it brought upon them.

And it occurred that the Lord said to me, "Stretch out your hand once more towards your brothers, and they shall not shrink before you, but I will shock them," said the Lord, "and this will I do, that they may realize that I am the Lord their God."

And it so happened that I stretched out my hand to my brethren, and they did not shrive; before me; but the Lord did make them quake -- according to the word which he had said.

And presently, they said, "We know for certain that the Lord is with you, for we know that the power of the Lord has vibrated us." And they fell down before me, and were about to worship me, but I would not allow them, saying, "I'm your brother; Yes, even younger at that. Therefore, worship the Lord your God, and honor your father and mother, that your life may be long in the land which the Lord your God shall give you."
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 18

And it occurred that they worshiped the Lord, and went out with me; and we fabricated timbers of peculiar workmanship. And the Lord showed me now and then after what form I should work the timbers of the ship.

Now I, Nephi, did not shape the timbers after the form learned by men, neither did I build the ship like other humans; but I did construct it after the manner that the Lord showed me; therefore, it was of construction unknown to humans.

And I, Nephi, did go to the mount often, and prayed often to the Lord; therefore the Lord showed to me great things.

And it happened that after I had finished the ship, according to the word of the Lord, my brothers observed that it was good, and that the workmanship was exceedingly fine. Therefore, they did humble themselves again before the Lord.

And it transpired that the voice of the Lord came to my dad, that we should get up and go down into the ship.

And it occurred that the following day, after preparing everything: much fruits and meat from the wilderness, honey in abundance, and provisions according to that which the Lord had commanded us; we did go down into the ship with all our cargo and seeds, and whatever things we brought with us --- every one according to his age. Therefore, we did all go down into the ship, with our wives and children.

And presently, my dad had begotten two sons in the wilderness; the elder was named Jacob and the younger Joseph.

And it transpired after we had all gone down into the ship, and had taken with us our provisions and things commanded of us, we did embark into the sea and were driven onward before the wind towards the promised land.

And after we had been driven before the wind for many days, note, my brothers, the sons of Ishmael, and also their wives began to party; so much so, that they started dancing, singing, and to speak crudely. Yes, they did forget by what power they had been brought to this point. Yes, they were high on exceeding rudeness.

And I, Nephi, began to fear a lot that the Lord would be angry with us, and kill us because of our iniquity --- swallowed up in the depths of the sea. Therefore, I, Nephi, began to speak to them with very soberly; but well they were angry with me, saying, "We will not allow our younger brother to ruler over us.

And it happened that Laman and Lemuel took and tied me with cords, and they treated me harshly; nevertheless, the Lord did allow it that he might demonstrate his power, to fulfilling of his word which he had spoken concerning the wicked.

And it occurred that after they had bound me so that I could not move, the compass, which the Lord prepared ceased to work.

Therefore, they knew not where they should steer the ship, so there arose a great storm (yes, a great and terrible tempest) and we were driven back upon the waters for three days; and they began to be very frightened that they would drown in the sea; nevertheless, they did not untie me.

And on the fourth day we were driven back, the tempest began to worsen to excess.

And it transpired that we were about to be swallowed up in the depths of the sea. And after being driven back upon the waters for four days, my brothers began to realize that the judgments of God were upon them, and that they must die unless they repented of their iniquities. Therefore, they came to me, and untied the bands upon my wrists, and note they had swollen exceedingly; and also my ankles were very swollen, and that pain was great.

Nevertheless, I looked to my God, and I praised him all the day long, And I did not grumble against the Lord because of my troubles.

Now my dad, Lehi, said many things to them, and also to the sons of Ishmael; but, realize, they did exhale many threat against anyone speaking for me. And my parents being stricken in years, and having suffered much grief because of their children, were in despair, yes, even upon their sick-beds.

Because of their grief and added sorrow, and the iniquity of my brothers, they were pushed to the point of being carried out of this time to meet their God. Yes, their grey hairs were about to be brought down to lie in the dust. Yes, they were near to be cast with sorrow into a watery grave.

And Jacob and Joseph also, being young, having need of much nourishment, were grieved because of the sorrows of their mother. And also my wife with her tears and prayers, and my children, did not soften the hearts of my brothers that they would untie me.

And there was nothing except the power of God, which threatened them with destruction, could soften their hearts. Therefore, when they saw that they were about to be swallowed up in the depths of the sea they repented of the thing which they had done, so much so, that they untied me.

And it occurred after they untied me, behold, I took the compass, and it worked as I had need. And it happened that I prayed to the Lord; and upon praying the winds relented, and the storm ceased, and there was a great calm.

And it occurred that I, Nephi, guided the ship, that we sailed once again towards the promised land.

And it happened that after we had sailed for many a day we arrived at the promised land. And we went upon the land, and pitched our tents, and call it the promised land.

And it happened that we did begin to till the earth, and we plant seeds. Yes, we put all our seeds into the earth, which we had brought from the land of Jerusalem. And it transpired that they did grow exceedingly; therefore, we were blessed in abundance.

And it occurred that we found upon the land of promise, as we journeyed in the wilderness, that there were every sort of beasts in the forests, both cow and ox, ass and horse, goat and the wild goat, and all manner of wild animals, useful to men. And we did find all manner of ore, both of gold, silver, and copper.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 19

And it happed that the Lord commanded me, therefore; I made plates of ore that I could engrave upon them the record of my people. And upon the plates which I made I engraved my dad's record, as well as, our travels in the wilderness, and the prophecies of my father and many of my own have I engraved upon them.

And at the time I made them I didn't realize I would be commanded of the Lord to make these plates; therefore, the record of my dad, and the genealogy of his ancestors, and the greater part of all our proceedings in the wilderness are engraved upon those first plates of which I have previously mentioned. Therefore, the things which happened before I made these plates are actually more particularly revealed upon the first plates.

And after I had made these plates by way of commandment, I, Nephi, received a commandment that the ministry and the prophecies, the more plain and precious parts of them, should be written upon these plates. And the things which were written should be kept for the instruction of my people, who would possess the land, and also for other wise purpose known to the Lord.

Therefore, I, Nephi, made a record upon the other plates, which gives an account, or provides a greater account of the wars, contentions and destructions of my people. And this I did, and commanded my people what they should do after I was gone. And these plates should be handed down from one generation to another, or one prophet to another, until further commandments of the Lord.

And an account of my fabication of these plates shall be given hereafter; and then, observe, I continue according to what I said. And this I do that the most sacred things may be kept for the remembrance of my people.

Nevertheless, I don't write anything upon the plates unless I feel it's sacred. And so, if I do so erroneously, so did they err in the past; not that I would excuse myself because of other men, but because of my weakness, according to humanity, I would excuse myself.

For the things which some men esteem to be of great worth, both to the body and soul, others esteem trivial and trample it under their feet. Yes, even God of Israel do men trample under their feet; I say, trample under their feet but I would speak in other words—they trivialize him, and listen not to the voice of his counsels.

And note he comes, according to the words of the angel, in six hundred years from the time my dad left Jerusalem.

And the world, because of their iniquity, shall judge him to be a thing of no value; therefore they scourge him, and he suffers it; and they smite him, and he suffers it. Yes, they spit upon him, and he suffers it, because of his loving kindness and his long-suffering towards the children of men.

And the God of our ancestors (those led out of Egypt, out of bondage, and also were preserved in the wilderness by him), yes, the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, yields himself as a man (according to the words of the angel) into the hands of wicked men, to be lifted up, according to Zenock, and to be crucified, according to Neum, and to be buried in a sepulchral, according to Zenos, which he spoke regarding three days of darkness, which should be a sign given of his death to those inhabiting the islands of the sea, especially given to those who are of the house of Israel.

For this the prophet said, "The Lord God surely shall visit all the house of Israel at that day, some audibly, because of their righteousness, to their great joy and salvation. And others with thundering and lightning, through storm, fire, smoke, vapor of darkness, the opening of the earth, and by mountains which shall blow up.

And all these things will surely happen, says the prophet Zenos. And the rocks of the earth must split; and because of the earth's groaning, many of the kings of the islands of the sea shall be prodded by the Spirit of God, to exclaim, "The God of nature suffers."

And as for those at Jerusalem, says the prophet, they shall be whipped by all people, because they crucify the God of Israel, and turn their hearts away, rejecting signs and wonders, and the power and glory of the God of Israel.

And because they turn their hearts away, says the prophet, and despised the Holy One of Israel, they shall wander in the flesh, and perish, and become a slur and a curse, and be hated among all nations.

Nevertheless, when that day comes, says the prophet, that they no longer turn away their hearts against the Holy One of Israel, then will he remember the covenants which he made to their ancestors.

Yes, then will he remember the Islands of the sea; yes, and all the people who are of the house of Israel, will I gather in, says the Lord, according to the words of the prophet Zenos, from the four quarters of the earth.

Yes, and all the earth shall see the salvation of the Lord, saith the prophet; every nation, family, tongue and race shall be blessed.

And I, Nephi, have written these things to my people, that perhaps I might persuade them that they would remember the Lord their Redeemer.

Therefore, I speak to all the house of Israel, if it be that they should obtain these things.

Notice, I have spiritual duties, which weary me to the point that all my joints are weak, regarding those at Jerusalem. For has not the Lord been merciful, to show to me concerning them (even as he showed the ancient prophets) I should have perished to.

And he absolutely showed to the ancient prophets all things concerning them; and also he showed to many with regards to us. Therefore, it must be that we know regarding them for they are written upon the brass plates.

Now it happened that I, Nephi, did teach my brothers these things; and it came to pass that I did read many things to them, which were engraved upon the brass plates, that they might know what the Lord does in other lands, among people in years past.

And I read many things to them which were written in the books of Moses, that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read to them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah; for I did regard all scriptures to us, that it might be for our benefit and learning.

Therefore I spoke to them, saying, "Listen to what the prophet says, you being a remnant of the house of Israel --- a branch that has been broken off. Listen to the words of the prophet, which were written to all the house of Israel, and regard them for yourselves, that you may have hope as well as your relatives from whom you have been broken off; for in this manner did the prophet write.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

1st Nephi 18:
[23] And it came to pass that after we had sailed for the space of many days we did arrive at the promised land; and we went forth upon the land, and did pitch our tents; and we did call it the promised land.

It states many days, but it doesn't state exactly how many days. I do believe that it states exactly how many days in the lost 116 pages. It does state exactly how many days that it took the Jaredites to cross the ocean.

Ether 6:
[11] And thus they were driven forth, three hundred and forty and four days upon the water.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter