The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Re: The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:I dunno, I might have a burning in my bosom. Are you sure you want to go through with this? :razz:
Why not? Just reading the Book of Mormon seems to be enlightening that it is not inspired. What we have is a story based around a male character writing a journal regarding himself and his family with overtones of early American Protestant Great Awakening ideals thrown in for "evangelical" effect. The Bible is straight forward. The Book of Mormon is written with many repetitious phrases and explanations that lead nowhere, that sound much like "There were many other things but I have no space to recount them here (so I'll just leave them out)." AND "I wrote down what I felt like writing."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:
Maksutov wrote:I dunno, I might have a burning in my bosom. Are you sure you want to go through with this? :razz:
Why not? Just reading the Book of Mormon seems to be enlightening that it is not inspired. What we have is a story based around a male character writing a journal regarding himself and his family with overtones of early American Protestant Great Awakening ideals thrown in for "evangelical" effect. The Bible is straight forward. The Book of Mormon is written with many repetitious phrases and explanations that lead nowhere, that sound much like "There were many other things but I have no space to recount them here (so I'll just leave them out)." AND "I wrote down what I felt like writing."

Someone once described it as "Bible fan fiction". If somebody wanted to write a Bible-y sounding book in the early 19th century, the Book of Mormon is what you would get. No authentic information about the native Americans or the Americas but some characters and stories obviously derived from earlier examples in the Bible. :wink:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 12

It occurred that the angel said to me,"See, note your descendants, and also those of your brothers. And I looked and noted the land of promise; and I saw lots of people, yes, even as the sand of the sea.

And it happened,that I noted multitudes gathered together for war -- against each other; and I witnessed wars, rumors of wars, and great slaughters with the sword among my people.

It occurred that I saw many generations come and go, through wars and problems in the land; and I observed many cities, yes, even that I did not number them.

And it so happened that I saw a dark mist over the land of promise; and I saw lightning, and I heard thunder, and earthquakes, and all sorts of tumult; and I saw the earth and the rocks crack; and I saw mountains crumble to pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth break apart; and I saw many cities sink and many burn; and I saw many that did tumble to the ground due to the quaking.

And it occurred that after I saw these things, I saw the vapor of darkness, pass from off the earth's surface; and note, I saw multitudes who had not fallen because of the great and terrible judgments of the Lord.

And I saw the heavens open, and the Lamb of God descending from heaven; and he came down and displayed himself to them.

And I also saw and testify that the Holy Ghost fell upon twelve others; and they were ordained of God, and selected.

And the angel spoke to me saying, "Observe the twelve disciples of the Lamb, who are chosen to minister to your descendants."

And he said to me, "Do you remember the twelve apostles of the Lamb? Note, they shall judge the twelve tribes of Israel; therefore, the twelve ministers of your descendants shall be judged by them; because you are of the house of Israel.

And these twelve ministers whom you observed shall judge your descendants. And, note, they are righteous forever because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood."

And the angel said to me, "See! And I looked, and witnessed three generations pass away in righteousness; and their garments were white even like the Lamb of God." And the angel said to me, "These are made white in the blood of the Lamb, because of their faith in him."

And I, Nephi, also saw many of the fourth generation who passed away in righteousness.

And it happened that I saw the multitudes of the earth gathered together.

And the angel said to me, "Note your descendants and those of your brothers.brethren."

And it occurred that I looked and beheld my descendants gathered together in multitudes against those of my brothers. And they were gathered together to fight.

And the angel spoke to me, saying: "Observe the fountain of dirty water which your father saw --- yes, even the river of which he spoke; and the depths are there are the depths of hell.

And the mists of darkness are the temptations of the devil, which blind the eyes, and harden the hearts of the children of men, and leads them away on to broad roads, that they die and are lost.

And the large spacious building, which your father saw, is a vain imagination and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible space separates them; yes, even the word of justice from the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God (of whom the Holy Ghost bears record from the beginning of the world until now, and from this moment forward and forever."

And while the angel said these things, I noted and observed that my brother's descendants dealt with my descendants, according to the angel's word. And because of the pride of my descendants, and the devil's temptations --- I observed that my brother's descendants overpowered my descendants.

And it occurred that I noticed, and saw my brother's descendants that they concurred my descendants; and they went moved in multitudes over the face of the land.

And I saw them gathered together in multitudes; and I saw wars and rumors of wars among them; and with wars and rumors of wars I saw many generations come and go.

And the angel said to me, "Note these shall dwindle in disbelief."

And it happened that I noticed, after they had dwindled in disbelief they became a dark, and disgusting, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of evil.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 12

It occurred that the angel said to me,"See, note your descendants, and also those of your brothers. And I looked and noted the land of promise; and I saw lots of people, yes, even as the sand of the sea.

And it happened,that I noted multitudes gathered together for war -- against each other; and I witnessed wars, rumors of wars, and great slaughters with the sword among my people.

It occurred that I saw many generations come and go, through wars and problems in the land; and I observed many cities, yes, even that I did not number them.

And it so happened that I saw a dark mist over the land of promise; and I saw lightning, and I heard thunder, and earthquakes, and all sorts of noises; and I saw the earth and the rocks crack; and I saw mountains crumble to pieces; and I saw the plains of the earth break apart; and I saw many cities sink and many burn; and I saw many that did tumble to the ground due to the quaking.

And it occurred that after I saw these things, I saw the vapor of darkness, pass from off the earth's surface; and note, I saw multitudes who had not fallen because of the great and terrible judgments of the Lord.

And I saw the heavens open, and the Lamb of God descending from heaven; and he came down and displayed himself to them.

And I also saw and testify that the Holy Ghost fell upon twelve others; and they were ordained of God, and selected.

And the angel spoke to me saying, "Observe the twelve disciples of the Lamb, who are chosen to minister to your decedents."

And he said to me, "Do you remember the twelve apostles of the Lamb? Note, they shall judge the twelve tribes of Israel; therefore, the twelve ministers of your descendants shall be judged by them; because you are of the house of Israel.

And these twelve ministers whom you observed shall judge your descendants. And, note, they are righteous forever because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood."

And the angel said to me, "See! And I looked, and witnessed three generations pass away in righteousness; and their garments were white even like the Lamb of God." And the angel said to me, "These are made white in the blood of the Lamb, because of their faith in him."

And I, Nephi, also saw many of the fourth generation who passed away in righteousness.

And it happened that I saw the multitudes of the earth gathered together.

And the angel said to me, "Note your descendants and those of your brothers."

And it occurred that I looked and beheld my descendants gathered together in multitudes against those of my brothers. And they were gathered together to fight.

And the angel spoke to me, saying: "Observe the fountain of dirty water which your father saw --- yes, even the river of which he spoke; and the depths are there are the depths of hell.

And the mists of darkness are the temptations of the devil, which blind the eyes, and harden the hearts of the children of men, and leads them away on to broad roads, that they die and are lost.

And the large spacious building, which your father saw, is a vain imagination and the pride of the children of men. And a great and a terrible space separates them; yes, even the word of justice from the Eternal God, and the Messiah who is the Lamb of God (of whom the Holy Ghost bears record from the beginning of the world until now, and from this moment forward and forever."

And while the angel said these things, I noted and observed that my brother's descendants dealt with my decedents, according to the angel's word. And because of the pride of my descendants, and the devil's temptations --- I observed that my brother's descendants overpowered my descendants.

And it occurred that I noticed, and saw my brother's descendants that they concurred my decedents; and they went moved in multitudes over the face of the land.

And I saw them gathered together in multitudes; and I saw wars and rumors of wars among them; and with wars and rumors of wars I saw many generations come and go.

And the angel said to me, "Note these shall dwindle in disbelief."

And it happened that I noticed, after they had dwindled in disbelief they became a dark, and disgusting, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of evil.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 13

And it occurred that the angel spoke to me, saying, "See!" And I looked and noticed many nations and realms.

And the angel said to me, "What do you observe? And I replied, "I notice many nations and realms."

And he said to me, "These are the nations and realms of the Gentiles."

And it happened that I saw among the nations of the Gentiles the formation of a great church.

And the angel said to me, "Behold the formation of a church which is an abomination above all other churches, which slays the saints of God. even torturing them and holding them down, and yoking them with iron, and hauling them down into captivity.

And so it was that I beheld this great and abominable church; and I saw the devil that he was the author of it.

And I also saw gold, and silver, and silks, and scarlet, and finely made linen, and all sorts of precious clothing. And I saw many harlots.

And the angel said to me, "Notice the gold, and the silver, and the silks, and the scarlet, and the finely made linen, and the precious clothing, and the harlots, are the desires of this great and abominable church.

And also for worldly praise do they destroy the saints of God, and bring them down into captivity.

And it happened that I observed and noticed many waters; and they divided the Gentiles from the descendants of my brothers.

And it occurred that the angel said to me, "Note that the wrath of God is upon your brother's descendants.

And I looked and noticed a man among the Gentiles, who was separated from my brother's descendants by the waters; and I observed the Spirit of God, that it came down and motivated the man. And he ventured over many waters, even to my brother's descendants, who lived in the promised land.

And it occurred that I observed the Spirit of God, that it motivated other Gentiles; and they went out of captivity, over the many waters.

And it came to occurred that I saw many multitudes of the Gentiles upon the land of promise; and I beheld the wrath of God, that it was upon the my brother's descendants; and they were scattered before the Gentiles and killed.

And I observed the Spirit of the Lord, that it was upon the Gentiles, and they prospered and gained the land for their inheritance; and I beheld that they were white, and very fair and beautiful, like my people before they were killed.

And it happened I, Nephi, observed that the Gentiles who had left captivity, humbled themselves before the Lord; and the power of the Lord was with them.

And I beheld their mother Gentiles were gathered together on the waters, and upon the land also, to fight against them.

And I beheld that the power of God was with them, and also that the wrath of God was upon all those that were gathered together against them to fight.

And I, Nephi, observed that the Gentiles that had left being captive were delivered by the power of God out of control of all other nations.

And it occurred that I, Nephi, saw that they prospered in the land; and I saw a book, and it was carried among them.

And the angel said to me, "So you understand the meaning of the book?"

And I answered him, "No."

And he said, "Note it proceeds from the mouth of a Jew." And I, Nephi, observed it. And he said to me, "The book that you hold is a record of the Jews, which contains the covenants of the Lord, which he made to the house of Israel. And it also contains many prophecies of the holy prophets. And it is the record of the engravings which are upon the brass plates -- except there are not so many; nevertheless, they contain the covenants of the Lord, which he made to the house of Israel. Therefore, they are of great value to the Gentiles."

And the angel of the Lord said to me, "You have seen that the book proceeded from the mouth of a Jew; and as it proceeded from the mouth of a Jew it contained the complete gospel of the Lord, of whom the twelve apostles bear record; and they bear testimony according to the truth which is in the Lamb of God.

Therefore, these things go out from the Jews in purity to the Gentiles, according to the truth which is in God.

And after they go out by the leading of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, from the Jews to the Gentiles, you witness the formation of that great and abominable church, which is an abomination above all other churches; for notice, they have removed from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they removed.

And all this have they done that they might pervert the right ways of the Lord, that they might blind the eyes and harden the hearts of the children of humanity.

Therefore, you notice that after the book has gone out through the hands of the great and abominable church, that there are many plain and precious things removed from the book, which is the book of the Lamb of God.

And after these plain and precious things were removed it goes out to all the nations of the Gentiles; and upon going out to all the nations of the Gentiles, yes, even across the many waters which you observed with the Gentiles which have left captivity, you observe—because of the many plain and precious things which have been removed from the book, which were plain unto the understanding of the children of humanity, according to the plainness which is in the Lamb of God—because of these things which are removed from the gospel of the Lamb, an exceedingly great many do stumble --- insomuch that Satan holds great power over them.

Nevertheless, you noticed that the Gentiles who have departed captivity, and have been lifted up by the power of God above all other nations, upon the face of the land which is choice above all other lands, which is the land that the Lord God hath covenanted with your father that his seed should have for the land of their inheritance; therefore, you see that the Lord God will not tolerate that the Gentiles will utterly destroy the mixture of you descendants, which are among your brothers.

Neither will he tolerate that the Gentiles shall destroy your brother's descendants.

Neither will the Lord God tolerate the Gentiles to forever remain in that terrible state of blindness, which you witnessed they are in, because of the plain and most precious parts of the gospel of the Lamb which have been withheld by that abominable church, whose formation you observed.
Therefore says the Lamb of God, "I will be merciful to the Gentiles, up to the visiting of the remnant of the house of Israel in great judgment."

And it occurred that the angel of the Lord said to me, "Note, says the Lamb of God, after I have visited the remnant of the house of Israel—and this remnant of whom I speak are the descendants your father—therefore, upon visiting them in judgment, and smitten them by the hand of the Gentiles, and after the Gentiles stumble exceedingly, because of the most plain and precious parts of the gospel of the Lamb which have been withheld by that abominable church (the mother of harlots), says the Lamb—I will be merciful to the Gentiles in that day, so much so that I will bring unto them, in my own power, much of my gospel, which shall be plain and precious, saith the Lamb.

"Now notice." says the Lamb, "I will reveal myself to your descendants, that they shall record many things which I shall minister to them, which shall be plain and precious. And after your descendants are destroyed, and dwindle in unbelief, including the descendants of your brother's, note, these things shall be hid away, to appear to the Gentiles, by the gift and power of the Lamb.

And in them shall be written my gospel, says the Lamb, my rock and salvation.

And blessed are they who shall seek to bring about my Zion at that time, for they shall have the gift and power of the Holy Ghost; and if they endure to the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the eternal kingdom of the Lamb; and whoever shall proclaim peace, indeed, greetings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be.

And it happened that the remnant of my brother's descendants, and also the book of the Lamb of God, which had proceeded forth from the mouth of the Jews, that it came forth from the Gentiles to the remnant of my brother's descendants.

And after it had come to them I beheld other books, which arrived by the power of the Lamb, from the Gentiles to them, convincing Gentiles and the remnant of the descendants of my brothers, and also the Jews who were scattered upon all the face of the earth, that the records of the prophets and of the twelve apostles of the Lamb are true.

And the angel spoke to me, saying, "These final records, which you have seen among the Gentiles, shall establish the truth of the first, which are of the twelve apostles of the Lamb, and shall reveal the plain and precious things which have been taken away from them; and shall make known to all families, languages, and races, that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the world; and that all men must come to him, or they can't be saved.

And they must come according to the words established by the mouth of the Lamb; and the words of the Lamb shall be made known in the records of your descendants; as well as, in the records of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.  Therefore, they both shall be established in bone; for there is one God and one Shepherd over the entire earth.

And the time shall arrive when he shall reveal himself to all nations, both the Jews and Gentiles; and after he has revealed  himself to Jew and Gentile, then he shall reveal himself to the Gentiles and also to the Jews --- the  last shall be first, and the first shall be last.
_Dr. Shades
_Emeritus

Post by _Dr. Shades »

You know that "decedents" and "descendants" are two different words with entirely different meanings, don't you?
"Finally, for your rather strange idea that miracles are somehow linked to the amount of gay sexual gratification that is taking place would require that primitive Christianity was launched by gay sex, would it not?"

--Louis Midgley
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Dr. Shades wrote:You know that "decedents" and "descendants" are two different words with entirely different meanings, don't you?
:redface: Yes, yes, I realize I made the mistake of trusting spell check ----- HOWEVER, I can see that you are reading or you wouldn't note this error. I will now fix this. Thanks.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:
Dr. Shades wrote:You know that "decedents" and "descendants" are two different words with entirely different meanings, don't you?
:redface: Yes, yes, I realize I made the mistake of trusting spell check ----- HOWEVER, I can see that you are reading or you wouldn't note this error. I will now fix this. Thanks.

Next time use the Urim & Thummim. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:
LittleNipper wrote: :redface: Yes, yes, I realize I made the mistake of trusting spell check ----- HOWEVER, I can see that you are reading or you wouldn't note this error. I will now fix this. Thanks.

Next time use the Urim & Thummim. :lol:

Well, didn't Joseph Smith simply throw a stone in his hat? I'm only paraphrasing what Mr. Smith wrote (for some odd reason) in Old King James ----- and with terrible grammar and punctuation at that! You would think that GOD would have had Mr. Smith write in the "MODERN" English of that time. But the reality is that Hebrews never spoke in thee's and thou's and if indeed Nehpi ever existed, he didn't speak this way either ----- so, why would the LORD have Mr. Smith write in archaic English; UNLESS, it was so Mr. Smith could easily throw in plagiarized verses straight out of the KING JAMES version of the Bible without having to translate it correctly into the "modern" English. Smith simply copied what he wanted and mixed it all together and the thee's and thou's and shalt's and believeth's act as a sort of unifying goop to marry everything together...
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 14

And it will happen, that if the Gentiles listen to the Lamb of God at that time he will reveal himself to them in word, and also in power, in very deed, to the removal of their tripping hazards —

And turn away their hearts from the Lamb of God, they shall be counted among the descendants of your dad. Yes, they will be counted among the house of Israel; and they shall be a blessed people upon the promised land eternally. They will not be brought down into captivity; and the house of Israel will no more be confused.

And that great pit, which was designed for them by that large and abominable church (founded by the devil and his children, that he may lead the souls of men down to hell) —yes, that great pit which hath been designed for man's destruction, shall be filled with those who designed it ---- to their utter destruction, says the Lamb of God.  Though not the destruction of the soul, except it be cast into that hell which hath no end.

Note, this is according to the captivity of the devil, and also according to the justice of God, unto all those who work wickedness and abomination before him.

And it happened that the angel spoke to me, Nephi,  " You have seen that if the Gentiles repent it shall be well for them. And you also realize regarding the Lord's covenants to the house of Israel you heard that those that do not repent must die.

Therefore, misery to the Gentiles if it  be that they turn their hearts from the Lamb of God.

"For the time is on its way," says the Lamb of God, "that I will work a large and marvelous work among the children of humanity; a work which shall be everlasting, either one way or the other: Either convincing them of peace and eternal life, or to the deliverance of them to the hardness of their hearts and the blindness of their minds to being brought down into captivity, and destruction (both temporally and spiritually) according to the captivity of the devil, of which I have spoken."

And it occurred that when the angel spoke this, he said to me, " Do you remember the covenants of the Father of the house of Israel?" I answered him, "Yes."

And it happened that he said to me, "Look, and behold that large and abominable church, which is the mother of abominations, whose founder is the devil.

Notice there are only two churches: The one is the church of the Lamb of God, and the other is the church of the devil; therefore, whoever belongs not to the church of the Lamb of God belongs to that great church, which is the mother of abominations; and she is the whore of all the earth."

And it occurred that I observed the whore of all the earth, and she sat upon many waters; and she had dominion over the entire earth, among all nations, families, tongues, and races.

And it happened that I saw the church of the Lamb of God, and its numbers were few, because of the evil and abominations of the whore who sat upon many waters; nevertheless, I beheld that the church of the Lamb, who were the saints of God, also covered the entire face of the earth; and their dominions upon the face of the earth were small, because of the evil of the great whore whom I saw.

And it happened that I noticed that the large mother of abominations gathered multitudes upon the face of the entire earth, among all the nations of the Gentiles, to rebel against the Lamb of God.

And it occurred that I, Nephi, observed the power of the Lamb of God, that it descended on the saints of the church of the Lamb, and the covenant people of the Lord, who were scattered across the face of the earth. And they were armed with righteousness and with the power of God in great glory.

And it happened -- I observed that God's wrath was poured out upon that large and abominable church, so much so that there were wars and rumors of wars among all the nations and families of the earth.

And as the wars and rumors of wars began among all the nations which belonged to the mother of abominations, the angel spoke to me, saying, "Observe, the wrath of God is upon the mother of harlots; and realize, that you see all these things...

And when the day arrives that the wrath of God is poured out upon the mother of harlots (which is the large and abominable church of all the earth whose founder is the devil) then, that day, the work of the Father shall begin, in preparing the way for the fulfilling of his covenants, which he made to his people who are of the house of Israel.

And it occurred that the angel spoke to me, saying, "See!"

And I looked and beheld a man dressed in a white robe.

And the angel said to me, "Observe one of the twelve apostles of the Lamb.

Note, he shall see and write the finale of these things. Yes, and also many things which have occurred.

And he shall also write concerning the end of the world.

Therefore, the things he shall write are just and true. And note, they are written in the book you observed coming out of the mouth of the Jew. And at the time they come from the mouth of the Jew or, at the time the book came from the mouth of the Jew, the things which were written were plain and pure, and very precious and easy to the understanding for all men.

And note, the things which this apostle of the Lamb shall write are many things which you have observed; and clearly the remainder shall you see.

But the things which you shall observe afterwards you will not record; for the Lord God has ordained the apostle of the Lamb of God should record them.

And also others who have been, to them has he shown all things, and they have written them; and they are sealed up to appear pristine, according to the truth which is in the Lamb, in the appropriate time of the Lord, to the house of Israel.

And I, Nephi, heard and bear witness, that the name of the apostle of the Lamb was John, according to the angel's word.

And note, I, Nephi, am forbidden to record the remainder of the things which I saw and heard. Therefore the things which I have written are sufficient for me, and I have written but a small portion of the things which I saw.

And I bear witness that I saw the things which my dad saw, and the angel of the Lord did showed them to me.

Presently I will quit speaking concerning the things which I observed while I was carried away in the Spirit; and if all the things which I saw are not recorded, the things which I have written are true. And so it is. So be it.