The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Re: The Book of Mormon Paraphrased

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 20

Now hear this, Oh house of Jacob --- called Israel, and spring out of the waters of Judah, or immersion, who swear by the Lord's name, and mention the God of Israel, yet they swear neither truthfully nor righteously.

Regardless, they label themselves as of the holy city, yet they do not keep themselves connected with the God of Israel, who is the Lord of Hosts; yes, the Lord of Hosts is his name.

Note, I have presented the former things from the onset; and they proceeded from my mouth, and I showed them. I showed them suddenly.

And I did it because I knew that you are obstinate, and your neck is an iron sinew, and your brow brass.

And I have even from the onset stated to you; before it happened I showed you them; and I showed them fearing that you might remark, "My idol has accomplished them, and my carved image, and my cast image has commanded them.

You have seen and heard all this; and will you not declare them? And that I have showed you new things from this time, even secret things, and you didn't know them.

They are created now, and not from the start, even prior to the day when you didn't listen they were declared to you, lest you should say—Behold I knew them.

Yes, and you didn't listen; yes, you knew not. Yes, from that time your ear was closed; for I knew that you would deal very treacherously, and was called a transgressor from birth.

Nevertheless, for my name’s sake will I defer my anger, and for my praise will I refrain from you, not to cut you off.

Notice, I have refined you, I have chosen you in the furnace of affliction.

Yes, for my sake will I accomplish this, for I will not allow my name to be polluted, and I will not give my glory unto another.

Listen to me, Oh Jacob and Israel my called, for I am he. I am the beginning, and also the ending.

My hand has also laid the foundation of the earth, and my right hand hath spanned the heavens. I call to them and they stand united.

All you, assemble yourselves, and listen, Who among them has declared these things to them? The Lord has loved him. Yes, and he will fulfill his word which he has preached through them; and he will do his pleasure on Babylon, and his arm shall come upon the Chaldeans.

Also, says the Lord, "I the Lord. Yes, I have spoken. Yes, I have called him to preach, I have brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.

Come near to me; I have not spoken in secret; from the beginning, from the time that it was preached have I spoken; and the Lord God, and his Spirit, sent me.

And so says the Lord, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel; I have sent him, the Lord your God who taught you to profit, who led you the way you should go --- did it.

Oh that you had listened to my commandments—then you'd have peace as a river, and you righteousness as the waves of the sea.

Your descendants also would be as the sand; the offspring of you bowels like the gravel thereof; his name should not have been cut off nor destroyed from me.

Leave Babylon, flee from the Chaldeans, with a voice of singing declare this, utter to the end of the earth. Say that the Lord has redeemed his servant Jacob."

And they were not thirsty; he led them through the deserts; he caused the waters to flow out of the rock for them; he divided the rock and the waters gushed out.

And in spite of this he has done all this, and greater besides. "There is no peace for the wicked," says the Lord.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

This is great.

When you're done with the Book of Mormon, the Oahspe and the Urantia Book and the Q'ran could all use the same treatment. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 21

Again, listen Israel, all that are cast away and driven out due of the wickedness my people's pastors--- yes, all that are cast away, scattered abroad, of my people, Israel. Listen, Oh islands, to me, and listen people at a distance; the Lord has called me from the womb; from my mother's gut has he mentioned my name.

And he made my mouth like a sharp sword. In his hand's shadow he hids me, and made me a polished shaft; in his quiver he hids me.

And said to me, "You are my servant, Oh Israel, in whom I'll be glorified.

Then I said, "I have worked for nothing, I have used up my strength for nothing. Surely my judgment is with the Lord, and my work with my God.

Presently, says the Lord that shaped me from the womb, that I should be his servant bringing Jacob again to him (though Israel be scattered). Yet, will I be glorious in the eyes of the Lord, and my God shall be my power.

And he said, "It is a easy thing that thou should be my servant to raise up the tribes of Jacob, and to restore the preserved of Israel. I will also give you as a light to the Gentiles, that you may be my salvation to the farthest reaches of the earth."

The Lord says this, "The Redeemer of Israel, his Holy One, to him whom man despises, whom the nations hate, servant of rulers. Kings shall see and arise, princes also will worship, because the Lord is faithful."

The Lord said, "At an acceptable time I have heard you, oh Islands of the sea, and in a day of salvation have I helped you. And I will preserve you, and give you my servant for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit ruined heritage;

That you may say to the prisoners, "Travel; to them that sit in darkness --- show yourselves. They will feed along the way, and their pastures will be in every high place.

They will not be hungry nor thirsty, neither will heat nor the sun kill them; for he that has mercy on them will lead them, even along springs of water will he guide them.

And I will make all my mountains a path, and my highways will be exalted.

And then, oh Israel, behold, these will arrive from a distance; and note, these from the north and the west, and from the land of Sinim.

Sing, oh heavens; and be joyful, oh earth --- because the feet of those who are in the east will be established; and break forth singing, oh mountains; for they shall be hurt no more; since the Lord has comforted his people, and will have mercy upon his afflicted.

But, note, Zion has said, "The Lord has forsaken me, and my Lord has forgotten me." But he will show that he has not.

Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? Yes, they may forget, yet will I not forget you, Oh Israel.

Note, I have engraved you upon the palms of my hands. Your walls are always before me.

Your children will hurry against your attackers; and they that made waste shall part from you.

Look up and around and behold; all these congregate together, and they will come to thee. And as I exist," says the Lord, "You will surely dress with them all, like an ornament, and bind them even as a bride.

For your waste and desolate places, and the land of your destruction, will even now be too narrow because of the inhabitants, And they that swallowed you up shall be distant.

The children whom you will have, after you have lost the initial, will again in your ears say, "The place is too narrow for me; give way to me that I may live.

Then will you say in your heart, "Who has begotten me these, seeing I have lost my children, and am empty, a captive, and separating to and fro? And who has raised up these? Note, I was left alone; these, where have they been?

This says the Lord God, "Note, I will lift up my hand to the Gentiles, and set up my standard for the people; and they shall bring your sons in their arms, and your daughters shall be carried upon their shoulders.

And kings shall be your nursing fathers, and their queen your nursing mothers. They shall bow to you with their face to the ground, and lick the dirt of your feet; and you will realize that I am the Lord; for they will not be ashamed that wait for me.

For will the prey be taken from the mighty, or the lawful captives delivered?

But the Lord said, "Even the captives of the mighty shall be removed, and the prey of the terrible shall be delivered; for I will deal with him that deals with you, and I will save your descendants.

And I will feed them that oppress you with their own flesh; they shall be drunk with their own blood as with sweet wine. And all flesh shall know that I, the Lord, am your Savior and Redeemer -- the Mighty One of Jacob."
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Masochism?
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi CHAPTER 22

And presently it occurred that I, Nephi, having read these things which were scratched upon the brass plates, my brothers came to me and said, "What's the meaning of these things which you read? Note, are they to be understood as spiritual things (which will happen according to the spirit) and not the material?"

And I, Nephi, replied, "Note they were revealed to the prophet by the Spirit's voice; for by the Spirit are all things revealed to the prophets, which will happen to the children of men according to the material.

Therefore, the things of which I have read are things pertaining to the both temporal and spiritual; for it appears that Israel, sooner or later, will be scattered everywhere over the face of the earth, and among all nations.

And note, there are many already unknown among those at Jerusalem. Yes, the greater portion of all the tribes have been led away; and they are scattered across the islands of the sea; and where they are none of us knows ---  except that they have been led away.

And since they have been led away, these things have been prophesied regarding them, and also all those who will afterwards be scattered and be confused, because of the Holy One of Israel; because against him will they harden their hearts. Therefore, they will be scattered throughout all nations and shall be hated of all men.

Regardless, later they shall be care ford by the Gentiles, and the Lord has lifted up his hand upon the Gentiles and set them up as a standard. And their children have been carried in their arms, and their daughters upon their shoulders. Note these things of which are spoken are temporal, as are the covenants of the Lord with our fathers, and it regards us in the days to come, and also all our brothers who are of the nation of Israel.

And it means that the time will come that after all of Israel has been scattered and confused, that the Lord God will raise up a mighty nation among the Gentiles, yes, even upon the face of this land. And by them shall our seed be scattered.

And after our seed is scattered the Lord God will proceed to do a fantastic work among the Gentiles, which will be of great value to our descendants. Therefore, it is regarded as their being nourished by the Gentiles and being carried in their arms and on their shoulders.

And it shall also be of value to the Gentiles; and not only the Gentiles but to all the nation of Israel --- for the understanding of the covenants of the Father of heaven to Abraham, saying. 'In your seed will all the kindred of the earth be blessed.'

And I'd rather, my brothers, that you should understand that all the races of the earth cannot be blessed unless he shall uncover his arm before the nations.

Therefore, the Lord God will proceed to uncover his arm before all the nations, in bringing about his covenants and his gospel to those who are of the nation of Israel.

So, he will bring them out of captivity, and they shall be gathered together to the lands of their inheritance. And they shall be brought out of obscurity and out of darkness, and realize that the Lord is their Savior and Redeemer -- the Mighty One of Israel.

And the blood of that large and hateful church, which is the whore of all the earth, shall turn upon their own heads; for they shall fight among themselves, and the sword of their own hands shall fall upon their own heads, and they shall be drunken with their own blood.

And every nation which shall war against you, O Israel, shall be turned against each other. And they shall fall into the pit which they dug to capture the people of the Lord. And all that fight against Zion will be destroyed, and that great whore, who perverted the correct paths of the Lord, yes, that large and hateful church, shall crumble to dust and great will be its fall.

Notice, says the prophet, the time quickly arrives when Satan shall have no more power over the hearts of the children of men. For the day arrives fast that all the proud and those who do wicked deeds shall be as stubble. And the day will come that they must be consumed.

For the time soon comes that the complete wrath of God shall be poured out upon all the children of men; for he will not allow the wicked to destroy the righteous.

Therefore, he will preserve the righteous by his power, even if it so be that the his full wrath must come, and the righteous be preserved, even to the destruction of their enemies by fire. Therefore, the righteous need not fear; for the prophet says that they shall be saved, even if it so be as by fire.

Note, my brothers, I say to you, that these things must shortly come. Yes, even blood, and fire, and ash must come, and it must be upon the face of this earth. And it comes to men according to the flesh if it be that they harden their hearts against the Holy One of Israel.

Note, the righteous shall not perish, for the time surely must arrive that all who war against Zion shall be cut off.

And the Lord will surely prepare a way for his people, to the fulfilling of the words of Moses, saying, 'A prophet shall the Lord your God raise up for you, like me; him shall you hear in all things whatsoever he will say to you. And it shall occur that all those who will not hear that prophet shall be cut off from among the people.'

And presently I, Nephi, declare to you, that this prophet of whom Moses spoke was the Holy One of Israel. Therefore, he shall execute righteous judgment.

And the righteous need not fear, for they shall not be confused. But it is the kingdom of the devil, which shall be fabricated among the children of men, which kingdom is established among them which are in the flesh—

For the time Quickly shall come that all churches which are built up to gather wealth, and all those built up to gather power over the flesh, and those built up to become popular in the eyes of the world, and who seek the lusts of the flesh and the things of the world, and do all manner of iniquity; yes, all those who belong to the kingdom of the devil ---- they who need fear, tremble, and quake. They are those who must be brought to dust -- who must be consumed as stubble, and this is according to the words of the prophet.

And the time quickly arrives that the righteous must be led up as calves of the stall, and the Holy One of Israel must reign in dominion, might, power, and great glory.

And he gathers his children from across the earth and he numbers his sheep. And they know him and there shall be one fold and one shepherd. And he shall feed his sheep, and in him they shall find pasture.

And because of the righteousness of his people, Satan has no power. Therefore, he cannot be set free for the space of many years; for he has no power over the hearts of the people, for they dwell in righteousness, and the Holy One of Israel reigns.

And now regard, I, Nephi, say to you that all these things must come according to the flesh.

But note, all nations, families, tongues, and races shall dwell safely in the Holy One of Israel if it be that they repent.

And presently I, Nephi, finish, for I dare not speak further as yet concerning these things.

Therefore, my brothers, I rather that You should consider that the things which have been written upon the brass plates are true; and they testify that a man must obey the commandments of God.

Therefore, you need not imagine that I and my father are the only ones that have testified, and also taught them. Therefore, if you shall be obedient to the commandments, and endure to the end, you shall be saved at the last day. And so it is. Amen."
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I bet there's some volunteer work that you could do that would actually benefit humanity in lieu of masticating Mormonism and spitting out whatever this is. :lol: But I guess this is what Jesus would do. :lol: :lol: :lol:
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

THE SECOND BOOK OF NEPHI CHAPTER 1

And presently it occurred that after I, Nephi, finished instructing my brothers, our father, Lehi, also said much to them, and reiterated to them, how great the Lord had done by bringing them out of the land of Jerusalem.

And he spoke to them regarding their rebellion at sea, and the mercies of God in sparing their lives --- that they were not drowned.

And he also spoke to them concerning the land of promise, that they were given —how merciful the Lord had been in warning us that we should flee from the land of Jerusalem.

"Do note," said he, "I had a vision in which I know that Jerusalem is destroyed, and had we remained at Jerusalem we would also have perished."

"But," said he, "nevertheless in spite of our afflictions, we obtained a land of promise --- choice land above all others. A land the Lord God made a covenant with me that should be a land for my descendants. Yes, the Lord made a covenanted to me, and to my children forever --- including all those led out of other countries by the hand of the Lord.

Therefore, I, Lehi, prophesy by the Spirit which is in me, that none shall enter this land except they shall be brought by the hand of the Lord.

Accordingly, this land is consecrated to him whom he brings. And if it happens that they shall serve him according to his commandments, it shall be a land of liberty for them. Therefore, they shall never be brought into captivity; unless it's be because of iniquity. For if iniquity abounds the land will be cursed for their sake, but for righteous it shall be blessed forever.

And note, it is wise that this land should be kept presently from the knowledge of other nations, because, many nations would overrun the land making no room for an inheritance.

Therefore, I, Lehi, have obtained a promise that, as long as, those whom the Lord God brings out of the land of Jerusalem keep his commandments, they shall prosper in this land. And they shall be protected from all other nations, that they may possess this land themselves. And if they keep his commandments they shall be blessed upon this land, and there shall be none to bother them or take away the land of their inheritance. And they shall dwell safely forever.

But note, when the time arrives that they dwindle in belief, after having received great blessings from the hand of the Lord (having a knowledge of the creation of the earth and realizing the great and marvelous works of the Lord from the creation of the world; having power provided to do all things by faith; having all the commandments from the beginning, and having been brought by his infinite goodness to this precious land of promise) I say, if the day arrives that they will reject the Holy One of Israel, the true Messiah, Redeemer and their God, note, the judgments of him that is just shall rest upon them.

Yes, he will bring other nations to them, and will give them power, and will take away from them the lands of their possessions, and he will cause them to be scattered and harmed.

Yes, as one generation passes onto another there shall be bloodshed, and great visitations among them. Therefore, my sons, I would that you would remember; yes, I want you to listen to my words.

Oh that you would wake up as from a deep asleep --- yes, even from the sleep of hell, and shake off the terrible chains by which you are bound. These are the chains which bind the children of men, that they are carried away captive down to the eternal gulf of misery and woe.

Awake! and arise from the dirt, and hear the words of a trembling parent, whose limbs you will soon lay down in the cold and silent grave, from where no venturer can return. A few more days and I go the way of all the earth

But realize, the Lord has redeemed my soul from hell. I have beheld his glory, and I am encircled about eternally in the embrace of his love.

And I desire that you should remember to observe the statutes and the judgments of the Lord. Note, this hath been the anxiety of my soul from the start.

My heart hath been weighed down with sorrow from time to time, for I have feared that because of the hardness of your hearts the Lord your God should come pour his full wrath upon you -- that you be cut off and destroyed forever;

or, that a cursing should come upon you for many generations; and you are visited with sword, and famine, and hatred, and are led according to the manipulation and captivity of the devil.

Oh my sons, that these things might not come upon you, but rather that you might be a choice and a favored people of the Lord. But note, his will be done; for his ways are righteousness eternally.

And he has said, "As long as you shall keep my commandments you shall prosper in the land; but for as much as you will not keep my commandments you shall be cut off from my presence.

And now that my soul might have joy in you, and that my heart might leave this world with gladness because of you (that I might not be brought down with grief and sorrow to the grave) get out of the dirt, my sons, and be men. And be determined in bone mind and in one heart, united in all things, that you may not come into captivity;

That you may not be cursed stringently. And also, that you may not incur the displeasure of a just God upon you, unto destruction, even the eternal destruction of both soul and body.

Awake, my sons; put on the armor of righteousness. Shake off the chains with which you are bound, and come out of obscurity, and out of the dirt.

Rebel no more against your brother, whose views have been glorious, and who has kept the commandments from the time that we left Jerusalem; and who has been an instrument in the hands of God, in bringing us to the land of promise. If it were it not for him, we would have perished with hunger in the wilderness; nevertheless, you sought to eteal away his life; yea, and he suffered much sorrow because of you.

And I greatly fear and tremble regarding you, lest he shall suffer again; for notice, you have accused him of seeking power and authority over you; but I know that he did not seek power nor authority over you, but he sought the glory of God, and your own eternal welfare.

And you have grumbled because he has been level to you. You say that he has been strict. You say that he has been angry with you. Note however, his strictness was that of the power of the word of God, which was in him; and what you call anger was the truth, according to that of God, which he could not restrain, manifesting boldly concerning your sins.

And it has to be the power of God with him, even in his commanding you that you must obey. But note, it was not him, but it was the Spirit of the Lord in him, which opened his mouth to speak that he could not contain it.

And now my sons, Laman, Lemuel and Sam, and also my sons of Ishmael, note, if you listen to Nephi you will not perish. And I will leave you a blessing, yes, my first blessing.

But if ye will not hearken unto him I take away my afirst blessing, yea, even my blessing, and it shall rest upon him.

And Presently, Zoram, I speak to you because you are the servant of Laban; nevertheless, you have been brought out of the land of Jerusalem, and I know you are a true friend to my son Nephi forever.

Therefore, because you have been faithful your descendants shall be blessed with his, that they live in prosperity long upon the face of this land; and nothing, except iniquity among them, shall harm or disrupt their prosperity upon the face of this land forever.

Therefore, if you keep the commandments of the Lord, the Lord consecrates this land for the security of your descendants along with those of my son."
Last edited by Guest on Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

I think that LittleNipper is confusing 2nd Nephi with 1st Nephi. 1st Nephi has only 22 chapters. Link
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Brackite wrote:I think that LittleNipper is confusing 2nd Nephi with 1st Nephi. 1st Nephi has only 22 chapters. Link

Sorry, It is fixed --- thanks.