Problems thus far with the Book of Mormon!

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_huckelberry
_Emeritus

Re: Problems thus far with the Book of Mormon!

Post by _huckelberry »

Maksutov wrote:Really? Show me. Every day I post stuff to encourage people to vote against Trump.

Hillary was corrupt. Maybe not as corrupt as Trump but she played fast and loose with folks through the Global Initiative while she was Secretary of State. Did she do all the things Alex Jones and company accuse her of? Hell no. The whole Clinton body count thing is as credible as alien reptiles running the Pentagon.

Is there Democratic party corruption? Yep. Republican party corruption? Yep. Every group that obtains power is prone to it. Eternal vigilance required. Christian institutions, atheist institutions, Muslim institutions, all are run by humans and subject to human errors. That doesn't mean we have to decide to accept them. I know that humans kill each other and always have but I don't shrug at murder.

Maksutov, I apologize for misunderstanding you, I do not remember where the post is that gave me the wrong impression. It would have been related to you wise comments above about vigilance required. Thanks for the well stated comments above.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

In I Nephi chapter 16, we have a linguistic problem with the STEEL bow and bows that lost their SPRINGS. And while steel bows are mentioned in the Bible, it appears that a mistranslation is the likely explanation. HOWEVER, Joseph Smith is recorded to have stated that the Book of Mormon had not been so corrupted with such error. Yet, apparently, it was/is. Could GOD have allowed this minor misunderstanding into HIS Holy Scripture to demonstrate and expose future fraudulent claims? We still have the Hebrew and it is apparent that the actual meaning of the word translated steel was likely SERPINTINE -- or they could have just left the Hebrew word alone and highlighted. But the fact that this quirk found its way into Joseph Smith's epic should set off warning bells that in fact Mr. Smith didn't do or have what he claimed.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

In I Nephi chapter 18 we have the problem with the native animals ---goats, horses, cows... Unfortunately, the Spanish introduced these to the "New World" in the 16th Century. Is this another of Joseph Smith's perfect translation/so called "more perfect" book flubs..?
_Brackite
_Emeritus

Post by _Brackite »

LittleNipper wrote:In I Nephi chapter 16, we have a linguistic problem with the STEEL bow and bows that lost their SPRINGS. And while steel bows are mentioned in the Bible, it appears that a mistranslation is the likely explanation. HOWEVER, Joseph Smith is recorded to have stated that the Book of Mormon had not been so corrupted with such error. Yet, apparently, it was/is. Could GOD have allowed this minor misunderstanding into HIS Holy Scripture to demonstrate and expose future fraudulent claims? We still have the Hebrew and it is apparent that the actual meaning of the word translated steel was likely SERPINTINE -- or they could have just left the Hebrew word alone and highlighted. But the fact that this quirk found its way into Joseph Smith's epic should set off warning bells that in fact Mr. Smith didn't do or have what he claimed.

Wasn't steel known in the Old World around 600 BCE?? I know that steel wasn't known in the New World around 600 BCE, but I believe that steel was known in the Old World around that time.
From Wikipedia:

Steel was known in antiquity and was produced in bloomeries and crucibles.[17][18]

The earliest known production of steel is seen in pieces of ironware excavated from an archaeological site in Anatolia (Kaman-Kalehöyük) and are nearly 4,000 years old, dating from 1800 BC.[19][20] Horace identifies steel weapons such as the falcata in the Iberian Peninsula, while Noric steel was used by the Roman military.[21]

The reputation of Seric iron of South India (wootz steel) grew considerably in the rest of the world.[18] Metal production sites in Sri Lanka employed wind furnaces driven by the monsoon winds, capable of producing high-carbon steel. Large-scale Wootz steel production in Tamilakam using crucibles and carbon sources such as the plant Avāram occurred by the sixth century BC, the pioneering precursor to modern steel production and metallurgy.[17][18]

The Chinese of the Warring States period (403–221 BC) had quench-hardened steel,[22] while Chinese of the Han dynasty (202 BC – 220 AD) created steel by melting together wrought iron with cast iron, gaining an ultimate product of a carbon-intermediate steel by the 1st century AD.[23][24]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel

And steel is mentioned within the New American Standard Bible.

Nahum 2:3 (NASB)
The shields of his mighty men are colored red, The warriors are dressed in scarlet, The chariots are enveloped in flashing steel When he is prepared to march, And the cypress spears are brandished.
"And I've said it before, you want to know what Joseph Smith looked like in Nauvoo, just look at Trump." - Fence Sitter
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Oh yeah? What about the Samurai swords made with the steel from Nephite Bessemer Converters? What about the chariots made with tungsten steel and fine Corinthian leather?
What about the steel cages on Noah's ark that transported the Yeti to the Himalayas and Big Feet to North America?

I will yield the remainder of my time to Rep. Jim Jordan (R-Ohio).
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

I Nephi 23:12

I will make a man more precious than fine gold; even a man than the golden WEDGE (Translation error lifted directly from the King James version of Isaiah --- correction should be GOLD) of Ophir.
_Meadowchik
_Emeritus

Post by _Meadowchik »

LittleNipper wrote:In I Nephi chapter 18 we have the problem with the native animals ---goats, horses, cows... Unfortunately, the Spanish introduced these to the "New World" in the 16th Century. Is this another of Joseph Smith's perfect translation/so called "more perfect" book flubs..?

Speaking of errors including any presumable mistranslation errors, has anyone compared the number of errors with the Isaiah and New Testament quotations in the Book of Mormon? Just wondering if the kind of errors increases or decreases.
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

The doctrinal problem with the Book of Mormon is profound. II Nephi 2 clearly reveals a "Buddhist" philosophical thought that for GOD to exist, evil needs to have always existed. This according to the Bible is pure poppycock. God created a perfect cherub, who quite on his own decided to superseded/usurp GOD. Satan is the author of sin. The original sin was to become GOD and this developed into being contrary to the will of GOD. Sin in fact becomes worse and worse as it progresses and festers on itself. Satan then eventually feeds Eve and Adam the same lie. That lie is that GOD is standing in your way of becoming GODs yourself. Man is a created being. Satan started as a created being. Created beings cannot be become GOD. GOD was not created. We can embrace GOD and love GOD and commune with GOD; however, we can NEVER ever be GOD. Christ was GOD who became a man in order to save. GOD was never a man who became GOD...

Add to this the Gnostic belief that man had to Fall from grace in order to have a sexual relationship and sire children with Eve, and the Book of Mormon then makes heroes of both Adam and Satan. Satan entices Adam. Adam falls and only then can have sex with Eve and establish humanity? The Bible clearly indicates that Adam and Eve were intended to populate the earth. Sin, tainted the souls that should have been perfect before GOD but now needed redemption or forever be dead to GOD --- eternally separated. Adam and Eve fell from grace before they had become parents. This doesn't mean that had Adam and Eve not fallen they would never have had children. Such a view is the thing premarital sex and homosexual marriage has been established on--- HEDONISM.

I really don't believe most Mormons even know what the Book of Mormon is implying, and those that do are clearly influenced through demonic manipulation. So, not only is the Book of Mormon mythological (non-historical), but it is proving more and more to be heretical.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

LittleNipper wrote:The doctrinal problem with the Book of Mormon is profound. II Nephi 2 clearly reveals a "Buddhist" philosophical thought that for GOD to exist, evil needs to have always existed.

If you're that ignorant of Buddhism, you don't have much credibility in any other religion that you're making big pronouncements about. Show us where Buddhism is theistic. It isn't. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_LittleNipper
_Emeritus

Post by _LittleNipper »

Maksutov wrote:
LittleNipper wrote:The doctrinal problem with the Book of Mormon is profound. II Nephi 2 clearly reveals a "Buddhist" philosophical thought that for GOD to exist, evil needs to have always existed.

If you're that ignorant of Buddhism, you don't have much credibility in any other religion that you're making big pronouncements about. Show us where Buddhism is theistic. It isn't. :lol:

I, as well as, you realize that it isn't that simple; however, karma/kamma for a Buddhist plays a part between the joining of kusala and akusala, in terms of Buddhist ethics kusala and akusala are qualities of the law of kamma wherein lies the struggle between light and dark, "good" and "bad".

I'm a Christian and not a Buddhist, but I don't live under a rock. I do not pretend to know everything about every religion. Buddhists for the most part don't believe in GOD per se. However, they do regard enlightenment as something to acquire to reach a higher plateau and The Buddha is supposed to have reached some level of "divinity" through his enlightenment.