Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Re: Mormon Christ different than Traditional Christ

Post by _Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:
I have a question wrote:“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...

Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith

So why are there Russian and Roman churches? Who's the heretic?
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Amore
_Emeritus

Post by _Amore »

The Catholic church warped the idea of Christ for all. They pretty much voted on what they wanted and then would excommunicate or kill dissenters.

Common sense and intuition are needed to realize the lies from the truth. Human sacrifice: not of God. Scapegoating: anti-Christ.

Gnostics are considered the 1st Christians who considered Christ a Spirit. Then he became a spirit who appeared as a man, then a man, then a demiGod.

And it is likely the main story of Christ was borrowed from Krishna (hundreds of hears before) who also was immaculately conceived, parents went to pay taxes, babies were killed trying to kill him, hid from evil ruler who wanted to harm him, was considered demi-god and Savior, both did miracles & chose disciples to spread message, etc.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

Maksutov wrote:Who's the heretic?

Those who refuse to acknowledge Coke as the one true cola.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

moksha wrote:
Maksutov wrote:Who's the heretic?

Those who refuse to acknowledge Coke as the one true cola.

Only if you hold the bottle in the right hand. No sinister soda sipping. :geek:
_I have a question
_Emeritus

Post by _I have a question »

Mittens wrote:
I have a question wrote:“Traditional” simply means the ongoing belief or practice of a group. For instance, it’s traditional to have Turkey for Thanksgiving in the USA, but traditional to have Turkey on Christmas Day in the UK. Does that mean the USA Turkey is different than Traditional Turkey?

Traditional Christ can mean different things to different groups, but those differing groups can each claim their Christ is the Traditional one. In other words, your OP is meaningless. Now if you’d opened with “Mormon Traditional Christ is different to Protestant Traditional Christ” then perhaps you’d have the start of a discussion...

Traditional, Orthodox or mainline Christianity means what 100% of Christianity teaches. Not false heresy teachings represented by the Mormon Faith

Wait...are we now talking Traditional, Orthodox or Mainline? Because those are 3 different things. And when you say “Christianity” which bit are you referring to, as it’s a very broad Church which includes all sorts of different faith traditions?

Is the blue colour of your text and increased size, of some significance that is currently escaping me? Or are you simply compensating for an inadequately sized argument?
“When we are confronted with evidence that challenges our deeply held beliefs we are more likely to reframe the evidence than we are to alter our beliefs. We simply invent new reasons, new justifications, new explanations. Sometimes we ignore the evidence altogether.” (Mathew Syed 'Black Box Thinking')
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

I have a question wrote:
Mittens wrote:

Wait...are we now talking Traditional, Orthodox or Mainline? Because those are 3 different things. And when you say “Christianity” which bit are you referring to, as it’s a very broad Church which includes all sorts of different faith traditions?

Is the blue colour of your text and increased size, of some significance that is currently escaping me? Or are you simply compensating for an inadequately sized argument?

You're dealing with somebody without nuance or granularity or historical context. All ideologies are monolithic and generic. :lol:
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Mittens wrote:https://i.imgur.com/a2YXcCD.jpg

So what was Jesus doing in the temple? Throwing out moneychangers. But he had also taught there. He was upset with the moneychangers because he respected the temple and thought the moneychangers didn't.
_Mittens
_Emeritus

Post by _Mittens »

Maksutov wrote:
Mittens wrote:https://i.imgur.com/a2YXcCD.jpg

So what was Jesus doing in the temple? Throwing out moneychangers. But he had also taught there. He was upset with the moneychangers because he respected the temple and thought the moneychangers didn't.

Jesus was in the Jewish Temple, no Christian temples existed in the time of Jesus or the early Church :lol:
Justice = Getting what you deserve
Mercy = Not getting what you deserve
Grace = Getting what you can never deserve
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Temple is a temple, they tell me. I try to stay out of them but I have two!

Here's something I need your help with. What does this mean?