Jesus in a Bell Jar

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Welcome warm invitation

Post by _Shulem »

Wouldn't something like this serve as a better Church logo?

It's warm and inviting and reflects more accurately how Jesus might himself prefer to be portrayed.

Come follow me and join us.

Salvation is free and without price. Pay only if you can and what you feel in your heart.

My burden is easy and my yoke is light.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Graven image in stone

Post by _Shulem »

I can't believe the Church wants a new logo of me as a statue, a graven image.

The Christus statue is definitely not my favorite.

(Hang in there, Jesus. Hopefully the new logo won't last long.)
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Teaching Children about the Arch

Post by _Shulem »

A) The head of the statue is in the middle of the tomb arch entrance but isn't that just because the artist drew it that way for the purpose of making a logo?

B) It only serves to remind us of Jesus coming out of an arched tomb entrance when portraits reflect arched tombs but not square tomb entrances.

C) Except for the fact that for 3 years children of gay parents were not welcome to become members of the Church until the policy given by revelation was reversed by revelation.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Corporate BLUE

Post by _Shulem »

It's a fact that BLUE is used more than any other color for Fortune 500 Company logos, red is second. When it comes to credit cards, it's overwhelmingly blue -- so pay up!

It goes to show that the Corporation of the Church certainly follows the business trend of Corporations. Seems awfully worldly to me and could be construed as a red flag for people looking for a humble Christian church that serves people and gives generously to the needy rather than hording billions of dollars in a secret investment account wherein only a select few know about it and how much is in it.

Last edited by Guest on Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Salvation is NOT Free -- pay up or forget it!

Post by _Shulem »

In order to join this Church you must commit to paying 10 percent of your income, interest, and earnings to the Corporation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. This is nonnegotiable. Either you commit to pay for the rest of your life or you cannot join the Corporation of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Membership is NOT free but comes with a price, as stated above. Commit to pay or you cannot join.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Two for the Price of One

Post by _Shulem »

The Church could have used its unique Christian belief in plural gods wherein the Church teaches that Two-Men who have bodies of flesh and bone run the Church wherein the younger reports to the older, his Father.

If the Church had used the above for its logo then it could have got a two for one in showing the whole world that God is two people just like Joseph said when he left the grove and wrote down his testimony of Two Men who appeared to him.

Right? Wrong?

Why use a statue when you can use the Two-Men to signify the logo of Mormonism?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Changing logo format

Post by _Shulem »

Someone might ask: Why didn't the Church get it right the first time? It could be argued that if it's really Jesus's Church then he would have directed to have his name written in the appropriate format the first time around rather than having to change it later because someone came up with the idea to emphasize Jesus's name. Obviously, when the first logo was made it seems Church leaders failed to come up with the idea to emphasize Jesus's name and Jesus didn't inspire or command his Church to emphasize his name.

So, who is to say the latest version is not the best reflection of what Christ really wants? Maybe it too falls short of what Christ wants for the name of his Church and nobody has yet thought of a better idea or Jesus hasn't yet spoken up to make another change. Could it be that both logos are man made ideas and Jesus never said a word about it? The next time the Church changes the wording then that question can be raised with a more serious tone!
Last edited by Guest on Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Is the title more important than the name?

Post by _Shulem »

The name Jesus Christ doesn't receive much emphasis on the Salt Lake Temple, of all places. Not even in gold leaf is the name of C H R I S T much larger than CHURCH or SAINTS. It appears that LORD is the chief operative word at play. The title of the person receives far more emphasis then the actual name of the person. Oops?

Will the Church replace the sign and fix it to reflect more emphasis in the name?

_Shulem
_Emeritus

Graven images

Post by _Shulem »

Old Testament wrote:Thou shalt have no other gods before me. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them

The Israelites did not make images or idols of their deity wherein graven images of an anthropomorphic god representing Jehovah was strictly forbidden. Old Testament prophets were careful to steer clear from making images of Jehovah as an object of worship or reverence:
Deut 4:15,16 wrote:Take ye therefore good heed unto yourselves; for ye saw no manner of similitude on the day that the Lord spake unto you in Horeb out of the midst of the fire: Lest ye corrupt yourselves, and make you a graven image, the similitude of any figure, the likeness of male or female,
Isaiah 40:18,25 wrote:To whom then will ye liken God? or what likeness will ye compare unto him? . . . . To whom then will ye liken me, or shall I be equal? saith the Holy One.
With that said, what evidence is there that graven images of Jehovah should be made in New Testament times or even in the so-called latter-days, by Mormons or Catholics alike? It seems clear that the making of images of Jehovah is a violation of the spirit of Old Testament law that prohibits idolatry in any form. There is no biblical reference that justifies the making of a graven image of Jehovah for any purpose whatsoever.

It seems, the Mormons have violated the law of God. What scriptural precedent might suggest otherwise? When did Jesus ever command that statues of him be fashioned by the hand of man out of respectful reverence to his assumed image? Like Catholics, the Mormons have assumed to take upon themselves to craft images of Christ and adore them as works of art representing their Savior. When did Jesus ever authorize that?
_Shulem
_Emeritus

Behold the image of Christ crafted by the hand of man

Post by _Shulem »

Would Moses approve the fashioning of stone into an image of Jehovah?

No! He would not and did not!

Here we see that the Mormons have fashioned another idol statue to add to their collection of stone figures of Jesus in order to admire and show their belief in him.

From everything I've ever read in the New Testament to include the sayings of Jesus, I hardly think Jesus would approve of this graven image of him or any other for that matter. It is, at minimum, a first step towards the practice of idolatry.