“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Moksha
God

Re: White head drawn upon a black man

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:09 pm

A white man’s head upon the body of a black man is absolutely uninspiring.
Had the head remained black, there is a possibility that Brigham Young and the Quorum of the Apostles would have demanded that it be removed and the Mormon priesthood curse could have been extended to 2018.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

“Pharaoh signifies king by royal blood”

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Dec 28, 2022 5:38 pm
Informed readers know the name-title of “Pharaoh” (Great House) is misused in Joseph Smith’s translations and is an anachronism in the Book of Abraham. The very word “Pharaoh” does not belong in Abraham’s time and Smith’s definition of what it signifies is incorrect:

Abraham 1:20 wrote:Pharaoh signifies king by royal blood

And now, without further ado, I’m going to cite what I believe is the exact reference in which Smith borrowed to define “Pharaoh” in the Egyptian tongue. We need look no further than Josephus in whom Smith used to enhance his understanding of the Bible:

Josephus 6:2 wrote:Pharaoh, in the Egyptian tongue, signifies a king

Thus, Joseph Smith never properly translated anything pertaining to the Egyptian language. He simply dumped his own ideas into the mix and borrowed from others to produce his own work. He was a creative thief.
Moksha
God

Re: “King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

Post by Moksha »

New events in Egyptian archeology. Any guesses as to how Kerry Muhlestein will interpret these new discoveries and what they will prove as oh-so-true?

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/01 ... -the-dead/
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

I can’t imagine anyone outside the Mormon church caring about what Muhlestein thinks of the newly discovered papyrus or pay heed to how he deciphers the Book of the Dead. Only apologetic Mormons care about what he has to say. Facsimiles No. 1 & 3 are true representations of important elements of the Book of the Dead and what has Muhlestein done to support that? The Church owns Muhlestein and he really has no free agency or right to tell the Church that their scripture are wrong. Muhlestein is bewitched by the testimonial ghost of Joseph Smith.

It’s truly shameful how the Mormons continue to slander the beliefs of one of the greatest religions to have ever existed on the planet. It’s a perfect example in showcasing the pride of the Church and the failure to correct its errors by continuing to publish Book of Abraham garbage. The Book of Abraham *is* garbage.
bbbbbbb
Nursery

Post by bbbbbbb »

Well, I am one of those folks here who is not LDS and when I first encountered the Book of Abraham I thought it was nonsense. I still do and find it bizarre that it remains so deeply engrained within the LDS that attempts are still being made to defend it.

What the LDS probably needs now is what the RCC did in 1870 when it proclaimed its dogma of papal infallibility. Although the RCC had been issuing all manner of infallible documents over the centuries in the form of papal bulls, 1870 turned the tide by redefining papal infallibility, thus allowing it to distance itself from all the embarrassing bulls it had issued over the centuries without having to apologize for them or explain how it was that the earth had become spherical after Galileo had been excommunicated for saying it. The result was that the RCC was able to neatly relegate all those embarrassing bulls to the dustbins of the Vatican without ever needing to explain or defend them again.

If the LDS were to refine (or redefine) what it "actually" means to be a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator then it could neatly distance itself from all manner of touchy issues. Not that it hasn't already, of course, and isn't in the process of doing so (e.g.polygamy, racism, and homosexuality, to mention but three areas of "concern"). However, the LDS is still chained to its history and its documents, including the Book of Abraham.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:38 pm
It’s truly shameful how the Mormons continue to slander the beliefs of one of the greatest religions to have ever existed on the planet.
The Saints feel they must support the desecration of Anubis to show their support for Joseph Smith. Anubis had black fur and in LDS eyes, that means he was cursed. On the other hand, Siberian Huskies are exalted among dogs.

Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

bbbbbbb wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 2:46 am
Well, I am one of those folks here who is not LDS and when I first encountered the Book of Abraham I thought it was nonsense. I still do and find it bizarre that it remains so deeply engrained within the LDS that attempts are still being made to defend it.

It’s important to point out that it’s the lay members who defend the Book of Abraham from a critical point of view using apologetics. The prophets and apostles are not on record for having defended the Book of Abraham using apologetics through critical analysis or scholarly research. They are only on record for continuing to sustain the book as canon within the Pearl of Great Price. The apostles are cowards and could never answer criticisms raised by critics (such as myself) who have utterly devastated Smith’s phony restoration of Abraham’s alleged book.

The Book of Abraham is not on life support. It’s dead! It’s a stinking carcass and filled with every foul odor.

bbbbbbb wrote:
However, the LDS is still chained to its history and its documents, including the Book of Abraham.

Indeed, they are. The Book of Abraham is an indictment to the lies and coverup of Joseph Smith’s inability to translate the Egyptian language and the Church today covers those lies with an unrighteous dominion that stinks to high heaven. There really is no way to say it politely. The Book of Abraham was dead on arrival and is doomed.

I rebuke that horrible book!

I rebuke the Church for continuing to publish and sponsor those lies!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 6:33 am
Shulem wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 4:38 pm
It’s truly shameful how the Mormons continue to slander the beliefs of one of the greatest religions to have ever existed on the planet.
The Saints feel they must support the desecration of Anubis to show their support for Joseph Smith. Anubis had black fur and in LDS eyes, that means he was cursed. On the other hand, Siberian Huskies are exalted among dogs.

Are you clairvoyant?

On Saturday (just a few days ago) I adopted a beautiful blue-eyed Alaskan Husky male dog that is TWO years old.

Wow, Moksha, you must be psychic.

:shock:
bbbbbbb
Nursery

Post by bbbbbbb »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 4:40 pm
bbbbbbb wrote:

It’s important to point out that it’s the lay members who defend the Book of Abraham from a critical point of view using apologetics. The prophets and apostles are not on record for having defended the Book of Abraham using apologetics through critical analysis or scholarly research. They are only on record for continuing to sustain the book as canon within the Pearl of Great Price. The apostles are cowards and could never answer criticisms raised by critics (such as myself) who have utterly devastated Smith’s phony restoration of Abraham’s alleged book.

The Book of Abraham is not on life support. It’s dead! It’s a stinking carcass and filled with every foul odor.

bbbbbbb wrote:
However, the LDS is still chained to its history and its documents, including the Book of Abraham.

Indeed, they are. The Book of Abraham is an indictment to the lies and coverup of Joseph Smith’s inability to translate the Egyptian language and the Church today covers those lies with an unrighteous dominion that stinks to high heaven. There really is no way to say it politely. The Book of Abraham was dead on arrival and is doomed.

I rebuke that horrible book!

I rebuke the Church for continuing to publish and sponsor those lies!

Thank you for your frank response. My experience has only been with lay members of the LDS who attempt to use apologetics in defense of the Book of Abraham. My outside perception of the Apostles of the LDS is that they are primarily committed to keep the church alive and, hopefully growing and thriving, whatever it might take. That may be cynical on my part, but it is my general observation of many highly-bureaucratized denominations.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

bbbbbbb wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 10:14 pm
My outside perception of the Apostles of the LDS is that they are primarily committed to keep the church alive and, hopefully growing and thriving, whatever it might take. That may be cynical on my part, but it is my general observation of many highly-bureaucratized denominations.

I believe there are an increasing number of members of the church who would like to see the Facsimiles removed from the official publication of the Pearl of Great Price. Probably most of those members would be satisfied with retaining the chapters of the Book of Abraham with some additional explanation for how it came into existence with implication to suggest its historical authenticity.

However, once the Facsimiles are removed there will be an immediate critical analysis and backlash of that action from the critics. The Book of Abraham will continue to be a liability for the Church in general and offer absolutely nothing to aid in proselyting. The Book of Abraham in all its substance has nothing of value to any nonmember of the church.

I know as sure as I live and breathe that Smith’s Abrahamic work is not true. I know that just as sure as I know anything. The positive sureness within me about that is absolute pure knowledge and correct understanding.