“King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

John Gee

Post by Shulem »

Book of Abraham defenses built by the apologetic efforts of scholars who contribute to Pearl of Great Price Central aren’t trying to defend or justify Joseph Smith’s translations nearly as much as they are out to uphold the mission of the Church. It’s all about the Church organization, employment within the Church, to include paychecks, benefits, and retirement. I’m afraid that there really is no such thing as freedom of speech in the confines of Mormonism. Scholars must toe the line or risk retribution and shameful pushback from Church leaders and those who are in power to shame members for expressing things outside the bounds the Church has set. Apologetics must be within the bounds of faith promotion and not question the divine authenticity of established doctrines and beliefs which are sanctioned by the brethren.

I can’t imagine what it would be like to be under these kinds of restrictions. I know that if I was a scholar working for the Church trying to express the Book of Abraham’s historicity and authenticity -- I’d be miserable. It’s one thing to lie to others and quite another to lie to oneself. I could not abide that kind of torture and I believe that is exactly what has happened to John Gee. I truly feel sorry for him and will not be surprised if and when he snaps and walks away from it all. The poor guy has been stifled and kept from expressing things as he might like to because the Church looms and lords over him and his paycheck is contingent on pleasing the brethren rather than himself.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Wow, just wow.

Post by Philo Sofee »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm
Believe it or NOT!

Here is the signature line on the front page of Pearl of Great Price Central:

https://www.pearlofgreatpricecentral.org/ wrote:Building faith in Jesus Christ by making the Pearl of Great Price accessible, comprehensible, and defensible to the entire world.

How does Pearl of Great Price Central make the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3 defensible to the entire world? The WORLD rejects the Explanations of Facsimile No. 3, totally and completely. The WORLD rejects the story about how and when Egypt came into existence as outlined in Abraham chapter one.

Pearl of Great Price Central is an enemy to world scholarship and an enemy to Egyptology in general. The lines have been set. Battles have been fought and the war is over. The Book of Abraham has lost the war and the credibility of Mormon scholars is shot. Apologists deal cards based on deception and lies. Morality has gone out the window! How low can these people sink?
Let them speak, we WILL respond and THE WORLD can see where the truth stands. I for one am ALL FOR IT! Give us your VERY BEST INFORMATION PofGP Central. THE VERY BEST, and we shall return the favor.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 11:52 pm
Let them speak, we WILL respond and THE WORLD can see where the truth stands. I for one am ALL FOR IT! Give us your VERY BEST INFORMATION PofGP Central. THE VERY BEST, and we shall return the favor.

They’ve given pretty much their best and have thrown everything they can into it. They have nothing more to offer of any value in which to prove Smith was correct. Anyone with Egyptological background can immediately detect that they have spun a web using obfuscation and deflection on every point regarding Facsimile No. 3. Pearl of Great Price’s response on Joseph Smith’s Explanation for the so-called name above the head of “King Pharaoh” is not acceptable by any academic institution outside the confines of Mormonism. Thus, the Mormons have isolated themselves within ideas and explanations of false Egyptology and have altogether misrepresented the iconography and perverted the true meaning in order to promote their own faith. The Mormons have sought to supplant Facsimile No. 3 with a make-believe ancient prophet of the Jews and slander the gods of another religion. They have hacked out the snout of the god Anubis and tendered lies about him being a slave. It’s a terrible insult to people of color. Mormon racism continues to this day.

Again, I welcome readers to view a brief podcast that I recently released on this very subject.

Thank you

Facsimile No 3 Podcast #1
Last edited by Shulem on Fri May 27, 2022 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Re: “King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head”

Post by Shulem »

The Backyard Professor repeats the golden question yet again in this video clip when pointing out that Joseph Smith claimed there was a king’s name in the hieroglyphic writing. He also calls to mind how Joseph Smith turned Anubis into a slave.

click the link for the clip:

Apologists & Leaders Silly Reactions to Real Evidence
Shulem
God

Say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not

Post by Shulem »

The apostles and prophets of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints have long been aware of the controversies of the Facsimiles of the Book of Abraham and yet they continue to publish them for generations without any explanation about the explanations therein. The prophets of the Church have kept their mouths shut and have said absolutely NOTHING about the controversies in the Facsimiles. The Church has received no divine direction from God in explaining how these controversial matters can be settled through Egyptology and scholarly study. Could it be that the prophets have ever remained silent and shy away from saying anything because they are afraid? Are they afraid to remove the Facsimiles from the canon because they will have to answer for it and provide an explanation for why they did so?

The prophets have said nothing. Their lips are sealed. Their mouths are ever shut.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 5:47 pm
https://www.pearlofgreatpricecentral.org/ wrote:Building faith in Jesus Christ by making the Pearl of Great Price accessible, comprehensible, and defensible to the entire world.
I've never seen that site before. Today I read the page on Fax #3 regarding Isis.

Listen, folks. The devil is always in the details. Joe said...
King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.
Given all their desperate contortions about the "identification" with Isis with the pharaohs of Egypt, one thing stands clear... so clear that an eight year old child could pick it out...

"But, daddy, Joseph said HIS"
HIS

Checkmate.

Bill/Mike/FBO
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

bill4long wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 11:44 pm
HIS

Checkmate.

Bill/Mike/FBO

Yes, indeed. I made this point earlier in this thread but am glad you are seeing it for yourself and bringing it up again.

Thank you.

Shulem wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:36 am
I emphasize an important and definitive FACT regarding Joseph Smith’s statement about the person of Fig. 2 in whom he claimed was King Pharaoh of Egypt. I merely highlight the word in which Smith gave that defined the character by which he was revealing the person:

Joseph Smith wrote:Fig. 2. King Pharaoh, whose name is given in the characters above his head.

This leaves no room for a lady king whether Isis or any other female monarch. Joseph Smith incorrectly identified the person as a MAN. Nothing could be further from the truth!

Joseph Smith was wrong.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 1:19 am
Yes, indeed. I made this point earlier in this thread but am glad you are seeing it for yourself and bringing it up again.
Right on, right on. ;)

FBO
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

And the true knowledge shall be like unto a stone cut out of a mountain cut without hands, and roll forth til it consumes the entire universe... and all beings shall grasp its significance and rejoice in the light of knowledge and truth. (The Backyard Professor Chronicles, 3:1415)
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Is King Pharaoh included in the history courses at BYU?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace