The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
canpakes
God

Re: The Benefits of Living a Mormon Lifestyle

Post by canpakes »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
If, for example, what Mike wants to discuss is the benefit of not consuming alcohol, is that an LDS or nonLDS topic?
Technically, it’s both. : )

At the moment, I’m interpreting the purpose of this higher forum as a way to discuss topics with an eye on doing so with the most top-level behavior. Whether or not the subject touches upon LDS issues would be secondary. Shade’s decision will rule, but I don’t see this thread as ‘out of place’, given the following description:
On average, living a lifestyle free from addictive substances and LEARNING, let me say that again, LEARNING how to be happy can be one of the best decisions one can make while living here on this wonderful planet
This could cover many related topics that aren’t limited to Mormonism.

That said, regarding this part:
I look forward to sharing many articles and links on this thread in the future that may benefit anyone positively, not just Mormons.
If this new forum is intended to represent discussion with our best behavior and the best application of the rules governing the board, then we should follow UR 10 to the letter:

Do not EVER "link-and-run." If you post a link to something, always explain what's at the other end of the link, why it's important, and what you hope other readers / viewers learn from it. RULE OF THUMB: If it's not worth your time to describe it, then it's not worth our time to click on it.

Any posts featuring ‘articles and links’ should be formatted to meet all three components of that rule.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

canpakes wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:44 pm
On average, living a lifestyle free from addictive substances and LEARNING, let me say that again, LEARNING how to be happy can be one of the best decisions one can make while living here on this wonderful planet
It could, yes. But it followed a title with the word Mormon in it, an opening sentence referring to Mormon rules, and the two following sentences referencing WofW, a specifically Mormon topic. Digging out the fourth sentence, in between all these Mormon references and saying it could be unrelated to Mormonism is a bit facile. : D

But, shades will decide anyway, so no worries. :D :D
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

canpakes wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:06 pm
If, for example, what Mike wants to discuss is the benefit of not consuming alcohol, is that an LDS or nonLDS topic?
Technically, it’s both. : )

At the moment, I’m interpreting the purpose of this higher forum as a way to discuss topics with an eye on doing so with the most top-level behavior. Whether or not the subject touches upon LDS issues would be secondary. Shade’s decision will rule, but I don’t see this thread as ‘out of place’, given the following description:

That said, regarding this part:
I look forward to sharing many articles and links on this thread in the future that may benefit anyone positively, not just Mormons.
If this new forum is intended to represent discussion with our best behavior and the best application of the rules governing the board, then we should follow UR 10 to the letter:

Do not EVER "link-and-run." If you post a link to something, always explain what's at the other end of the link, why it's important, and what you hope other readers / viewers learn from it. RULE OF THUMB: If it's not worth your time to describe it, then it's not worth our time to click on it.

Any posts featuring ‘articles and links’ should be formatted to meet all three components of that rule.
Thank you canpakes. My intent for future post was to also bring up the lifestyle and vegetarian diet many Seventh Day Adventist follow and compare their diet to the Word of Wisdom. Plus other diets found around the world including many Asian diets which surpass the health benefits of the word of wisdom.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 3:23 pm

Yes, I said you read the rules correctly. But Shades also created the forum designations. As clones of Shades, I don’t think we would simply ignore our own forum descriptions. But what I think is moot, as it’s been kicked upstairs to Shades’ attention.
Got it! Thank you! If I'm in error and this thread needs to be moved, I think we need to define what a ""Mormon"" is.
LOL! Good luck with that one. The clone of Shades part requires us to consider all kinds of things that Shades has said over time in numerous posts to the mod board. And even those have evolved over time. Language is slippery, and even things that look crystal clear at first glance may actually be unclear in a specific case. It's an interesting exercise to take the rules as written and try to predict WWSD in specific cases.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:11 pm
Atlanticmike wrote:

Got it! Thank you! If I'm in error and this thread needs to be moved, I think we need to define what a ""Mormon"" is.
LOL! Good luck with that one. The clone of Shades part requires us to consider all kinds of things that Shades has said over time in numerous posts to the mod board. And even those have evolved over time. Language is slippery, and even things that look crystal clear at first glance may actually be unclear in a specific case. It's an interesting exercise to take the rules as written and try to predict WWSD in specific cases.
My mom always said I should've been a lawyer 😂.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:26 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:11 pm

What ever did you do to offend her? :lol: :lol:
he/him

Morley
God

Post by Morley »

Atlanticmike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:26 pm

Yeah, my mom was wrong about me, too.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Mormonism-related topics in the “Mormon Discussions” fora, non-Mormon discussions in the “Non-Mormon Discussions” fora.

Rule of thumb for my moderators, in whom I am well pleased: If it feels like 51% or more of the opening post is one or the other, you may move the thread accordingly.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 5:29 pm
Mormonism-related topics in the “Mormon Discussions” fora, non-Mormon discussions in the “Non-Mormon Discussions” fora.

Rule of thumb for my moderators, in whom I am well pleased: If it feels like 51% or more of the opening post is one or the other, you may move the thread accordingly.
Thanks for the quick response, Boss. Much appreciated!
he/him

Atlanticmike
God

Post by Atlanticmike »

https://youtu.be/lc12MMSJGPM

Great video explaining the health benefits of living a strict Seventh Day Adventist lifestyle. On average, SDA Members live 10 years longer then an American eating a typical American diet. Also, their faith plays a huge role apparently in their longevity.