Cognitive Bias Blues

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Cognitive Bias Blues

Post by bill4long »

I think we can all take it as a given that every human has their cognitive bias. I do. You do. We all do. What matters when having a discussion with someone two disagrees with your views, regardless of topic, is their level of open mindedness about the subject matter. Otherwise, what is the point of a discussion?

The question, "what would it take for you to change your mind?" should come up early in the dialog, I should think.

If a TBM answers, "nothing." What's the point of the dialog? Why not leave it alone? Well, maybe you continue because you think it's not really a true reflection of the person's mindset. Maybe you want to continue out of sport. Maybe their are other reasons. Whatever. Point is, why argue with people who assert their unwillingness to change their minds regardless of the objective evidence? What do you hope to gain out of the exchange?

Bill - post-Mormon of 41 years.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Physics Guy
God

Re: Cognitive Bias Blues

Post by Physics Guy »

Ehh, you can still learn about how another person thinks, even if you know in advance that you won't change their mind. Why is changing someone else's mind even important?
I was a teenager before it was cool.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Re: Cognitive Bias Blues

Post by bill4long »

Physics Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:13 pm
Ehh, you can still learn about how another person thinks, even if you know in advance that you won't change their mind. Why is changing someone else's mind even important?
Fair point.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.