Apologist Atrocities

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Apologist Atrocities

Post by bill4long »

POLL:

What are the most extremely pernicious specimens of LDS apologist atrocities that you've come across?

--Bill
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Apologist Atrocities

Post by Philo Sofee »

For me, since it is the subject most exercising me right now, it is John Gee splicing and dicing the witnesses to the papyri in illegal (unscholarly, unethical) ways in order to get them to look like they are saying something they are not. You cannot take the first half of one witness's description, and the second half of another witness's description and splice them together to mean something that neither witness ever said or meant. That methodology is so wrong it's not even wrong.

The second most heinous thing apologists have done is simply copy the above method in their own publications without looking into what the witnesses themselves said, but just trusting their own scholar associates. The three most egregious guilty are Michael Dennis Rhodes, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlstein. It is or has become inbred scholarship.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I think it is atrocious the way Pahoran and Dr. Midgley lead the Sic et Non school of piranha in circling its prey.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

A quote from Dan Vogel the other day on BYP's video comments that's worth repeating here...
I have written a response to Smoot's review of my book but have not posted it anywhere. One of the first paragraphs reads: The review is unfortunate in that Smoot never engages my arguments dealing with the reverse-translation theory of the apologists, which is mostly why I wrote the book. Of course, as a doctoral student in Semitic and Egyptian Languages and Literature at the Catholic University of America, Smoot wants to defend the Book of Abraham’s antiquity, which he does at every opportunity, even when it is irrelevant to the discussion of my book. In fact, a person reading Smoot’s review still would not know what my book is about. Moreover, he repeatedly strawmans my arguments or bashes them with ad hominem and quickly reverts to defending the Book of Abraham’s antiquity as if to say apologetic parallels to the ancient world are more important than evidence deduced directly from Smith-related documents. But this is why I wrote the book to correct this neglect or misrepresentation of Smith Egyptian-English texts. Smoot is merely attempting to continue this mistake. In fact, despite his appeals to authority, Smoot is not the right person to review my book.
(Comment from BYP's excellent video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJAL22794SE)
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
dan vogel
CTR A

Post by dan vogel »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:00 pm
For me, since it is the subject most exercising me right now, it is John Gee splicing and dicing the witnesses to the papyri in illegal (unscholarly, unethical) ways in order to get them to look like they are saying something they are not. You cannot take the first half of one witness's description, and the second half of another witness's description and splice them together to mean something that neither witness ever said or meant. That methodology is so wrong it's not even wrong.

The second most heinous thing apologists have done is simply copy the above method in their own publications without looking into what the witnesses themselves said, but just trusting their own scholar associates. The three most egregious guilty are Michael Dennis Rhodes, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlstein. It is or has become inbred scholarship.
"The three most egregious guilty are Michael Dennis Rhodes, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlstein. It is or has become inbred scholarship." I like that. It perfectly describes their method and goals.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

dan vogel wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 4:41 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:00 pm

"The three most egregious guilty are Michael Dennis Rhodes, John Gee, and Kerry Muhlstein. It is or has become inbred scholarship." I like that. It perfectly describes their method and goals.
Spot on, and in fact, will be the subject of this Sunday's Live show. I have enormous evidences showing just this that folks are going to have to see to believe.
Doctor Scratch
B.H. Roberts Chair of Mopologetic Studies

Post by Doctor Scratch »

The "Metcalfe is Butthead" acrostic has to rank pretty high on the list. I would also put their lying about the 2nd Watson Letter up there. And Dan Peterson's lying about getting paid $20,000+ to serve as Chair of FARMS. And John Gee's "two inks" gambit. And Tvetdnes's attempts to block Murphy's tenure process. There are lots to choose from.
"If, while hoping that everybody else will be honest and so forth, I can personally prosper through unethical and immoral acts without being detected and without risk, why should I not?." --Daniel Peterson, 6/4/14
K Graham
God

Post by K Graham »

John Gee's flat out lying about "red ink" is what started it all for me.
"I am not an American ... In my view premarital sex should be illegal" - Ajax18
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

K Graham wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:48 pm
John Gee's flat out lying about "red ink" is what started it all for me.
Oh I think I remember that. Do you have a link perhaps to your discussions on that one Kevin. You have such powerful rejoinders to Gee's lunacy!
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Doctor Scratch wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:17 pm
The "Metcalfe is Butthead" acrostic has to rank pretty high on the list. I would also put their lying about the 2nd Watson Letter up there. And Dan Peterson's lying about getting paid $20,000+ to serve as Chair of FARMS. And John Gee's "two inks" gambit. And Tvetdnes's attempts to block Murphy's tenure process. There are lots to choose from.
All so very, very true Dr. Scratch!