The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Signs of Our Times.

Post by Philo Sofee »

Elizabeth
Beware mis-translations of Bible, when the Bible has been deliberately altered.
Some of these omissions have profound doctrinal implications.
Yes indeed, Joseph Smith's Book of Abraham is the most egregious example of this on record, thank you for helping us be aware of this... Omissions are only a part of what Joseph Smith did in changing the scripture, additions are equally as incorrect, giving false contexts, and misreading historical issues and understanding.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Soooooo, if you don't like the NIV, then use a different translation. That's simple.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

"For the gate by which ye should enter is repentance and baptism by water; and then cometh a remission of your sins by fire and by the Holy Ghost."

2 Nephi 32:5.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1653330207

Man is accountable for shedding the blood of animals and of men. God establishes with Noah and his sons the same covenant He made with Enoch.
10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.
11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
12 And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man.
13 For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man.
14 And a commandment I give unto you, Be ye fruitful and multiply; bring forth abundantly on the earth, and multiply therein.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

2 Nephi 30

For behold, thus saith the Lord God: I will give unto the children of men line upon line, precept upon precept, here a little and there a little; and blessed are those who hearken unto MY PRECEPTS, and lend an ear unto my counsel, for they shall learn wisdom; for unto him that receiveth I will give more; and from them that shall say, We have enough, from them shall be taken away even that which they have.
Philo Sofee
God

Post by Philo Sofee »

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 6:31 pm
https://abn.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1653330207

Man is accountable for shedding the blood of animals and of men. God establishes with Noah and his sons the same covenant He made with Enoch.
10 But, the blood of all flesh which I have given you for meat, shall be shed upon the ground, which taketh life thereof, and the blood ye shall not eat.
11 And surely, blood shall not be shed, only for meat, to save your lives; and the blood of every beast will I require at your hands.
12 And whoso sheddeth man’s blood, by man shall his blood be shed; for man shall not shed the blood of man.
13 For a commandment I give, that every man’s brother shall preserve the life of man, for in mine own image have I made man.
14 And a commandment I give unto you, Be ye fruitful and multiply; bring forth abundantly on the earth, and multiply therein.
God sheds vastly more blood than man ever could, through inaction when it could do something about it, but chooses not to.
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

We were all, as mature Spirits, given the choice and opportunity to come to this Earth to occupy a mortal body in order to undertake our mortal trial as a part of our Eternal progression.
All have been given free agency to choose their thoughts and actions and will be judged accordingly.
The actions of others may cause us pain and suffering but this is an integral part of the mortal trial.
msnobody
First Presidency

Post by msnobody »

Elizabeth wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 am
Beware mis-translations of Bible, when the Bible has been deliberately altered.
Some of these omissions have profound doctrinal implications.

NIV – "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous."

NKJV –" But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust."

Mark 11:26 - major doctrinal point
NIV – MISSING.

NKJV – "But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father in heaven forgive your trespasses."

NIV denies putting gender neutral translations in its own publicity, and a feminist agenda, despite statements from individuals involved. Their own statement sounds great:

Is the NIV Gender Neutral? - NIV Bible

They claim "all [our committee] firmly believe that the original manuscripts are the inspired Word of God and completely free from error, being the work of authors who were directed by the Spirit of God (2 Peter 1:20-21, 2 Timothy 3:16). To bring any type of feminist agenda to their translation work would be to fail in their God-given calling."

Sounds great, it's almost plausible until you look outside their own publicity.

Here's one of those very people who has not brought "any type of feminist agenda" in.

1984 NIV John 14:23 'Jesus replied, “If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father
will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.'
2011 NIV John 14:23 'Jesus replied, “Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father
will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.'

This has a double problem. "We will come to him and make our home with him," could refer to Heavenly Father as much as the person who obeys Jesus' teacher, so using a plural pronoun has additional issues.

Over 60,000 words and phrases are deleted in the NIV, mostly those that do not support the mores of the translators. Entire verses are omitted:
Matthew 17:21
Matthew 23:14
Mark 7:16
Mark 9:44
Mark 9:46
Mark 11:26
Mark 15:28
Luke 17:36
John 5:3–4
Acts 8:37
Acts 15:34
Acts 24:6–8
Acts 28:29
Romans 16:24

Not even a footnote in some cases.

The NKJV and NIV disagree on many points, again, the NIV omits Christ:
“And to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things” (NIV).

“And to make all see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the ages has been hidden in God who created all things through Jesus Christ” (NKJV).

Virginia Ramey Mollenkott (see pic above): Literary consultant. Episcopal magazine, Witness (June 1991, pp. 20-23), above she admits,

From a letter she wrote to Michael J. Penfold.

1984 NIV 1 Samuel 18:2 "From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return to his
father’s house."
2011 NIV 1 Samuel 18:2 "From that day Saul kept David with him and did not let him return home
to his family."

1984 NIV Psalm 8:4 "what is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for
him?"
2011 NIV Psalm 8:4 "what is mankind that you are mindful of them, human beings that you care
for them?" (Obvious issue here is that phrase the "son of man" has particular resonance)

The NIV (2011) changes “Women” to “weaklings’ in verses like Nahum 3:13; Isa. 19:16; Jer. 50:37; and Jer.51:30.

It is documented in biblical Scripture that adding to scripture has profound and eternal implications/consequences.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

"Man was not made for the Church, the Church was made for man.”
Elizabeth
Stake President

Post by Elizabeth »

Doctrine and Covenants Section 9.

Verse 6
"Do not murmur, my son, for it is wisdom in me that I have dealt with you after this manner.”

Verses13 and 14:
"Do this thing which I have commanded you, and you shall prosper.
Be faithful, and yield to no temptation.
Stand fast in the work wherewith I have called you, and a hair of your head shall not be lost, and you shall be lifted up at the last day.
Amen.”