Joseph Smith & Entheogens by The Backyard Professor

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Father Francis
Bishop

Re: Joseph Smith & Entheogens by The Backyard Professor

Post by Father Francis »

Shulem, have you listened to any of the Mormons on Mushrooms podcasts? I think you might find them interesting.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Father Francis wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:59 pm
Shulem, have you listened to any of the Mormons on Mushrooms podcasts? I think you might find them interesting.

I have not. Is this the correct link?

https://www.mormonsonmushrooms.com/

There is also another video podcast that explores entheogen use by Joseph Smith and the early Mormons:

Did Joseph Smith Drug the Mormons? Smith Entheogen Theory Revelation Through Hallucination
Father Francis
Bishop

Post by Father Francis »

Shulem wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 3:10 pm
Father Francis wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:59 pm

I have not. Is this the correct link?

https://www.mormonsonmushrooms.com/

There is also another video podcast that explores entheogen use by Joseph Smith and the early Mormons:

Did Joseph Smith Drug the Mormons? Smith Entheogen Theory Revelation Through Hallucination
The first link you posted is the correct one. I first heard about it from a coworker who directed me to episode 20. It's about Steve Urquhart. He's a former Mormon and was a prominent Republican state legislator. Then he found mushrooms. He ended up founding a church where psilocybin is the sacrament. There's a lot of other gems in other episodes, like the returned missionary lady that tried ayahuasca even though she had never done any mind altering substances before
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Hey Philo,
Whats with the anti hippi prejudice? Their acid was as real as any you are likely to get now.Their experiences were as real as yours and you certainly did not discover some new holy dimension. Or have you decided that somehow you are in the one true trip church while there is something wrong with those other people. Do they listen to the wrong kind of music? "let us go out into the transitive nightfall of diamonds" Is dancing not spiritual?

Philo I am not being completely negative about your views but a certain amount of 1968 compitition over who had the truest trip understanding left a bit of bad taste in my mouth. Or perhaps we agree ,looking at Manson's helter skelter acid spirituality, we see that not all forms of acid sprituality are equal.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:33 am
Hey Philo,
Whats with the anti hippi prejudice?

Reminds me of blue boy. Remember that?

It's a labor of love!!!

My Name is Blue Boy - Dragnet

Yeah baby! Watch, listen, and learn.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Blue boy, I had not seen that silliness before. at least in the link Zeppelin drowns out the silly dialogue half way through.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:05 am
Blue boy, I had not seen that silliness before. at least in the link Zeppelin drowns out the silly dialogue half way through.

The creators of Dragnet obviously did their homework in enquiring what a trip on LDS would be like for a teenager tripping out on his own. In this case a teen in the midst of the 60’s counterculture revolution. I remember watching that episode when it aired for the first time as a boy and this particular episode stuck with me and made an impression. Watching Dragnet back then as well as Star Trek (shout out to RFM!) were my favorite TV experiences -- Walt Disney too on Sunday night, of course. Then bedtime!

Blue boy says:
  • Reality man, reality man. I could see the center of the earth.
  • Purple flame and pilot light all the way down.
  • Pilot light of creation and reality.
  • Even if your body does die your mind will live on.
  • The evil disbelievers, evil, evil!

Now, what if a hallucinogenic drug (acid man) was used by the brethren during the Kirtland temple late night ceremonies while in controlled conditions? Do you think they might experience a new reality? Do you think they might see a flame of fire and beings of another dimension? Angels? Might they think they too can live forever?

Yeah man, the brethren at Kirtland were tripping out. Yeah baby!
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

huckelberry wrote:
That version of Whole Lotta Love isn't Led Zeppelin. Some copy cat version. Just FYI.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

bill4long wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:14 am
huckelberry wrote:
That version of Whole Lotta Love isn't Led Zeppelin. Some copy cat version. Just FYI.

Bill4long,

I believe you’re mistaken about that. It’s actual music from the Led Zeppelin soundtrack but in a deconstructed format wherein the instruments are separated and presented in highlighted individual sound. Cleary, if you listen closely, you can hear a faint echo of Robert Plant’s wailing voice. It’s in there. John Paul Jones’s amazing bass guitar is a special feature -- LOVE IT. Bonham’s drums and Page’s guitar are also featured.

Here is another version you might enjoy and Plant’s voice is specially featured at the end.

Deconstructing Whole Lotta Love (Isolated Tracks)
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Sep 22, 2022 1:17 pm
I believe you’re mistaken about that.
The "deconstructed" Youtube is Led Zeppelin, and is isolate tracks directly from the actual studio recording.

The Dragnet version is not Led Zeppelin. Trust me.

Also the Dragnet version of the song was not actually on the Dragnet episode. Somebody put that cover version of it on that Blue Boy episode post.

Here's the original Blue Boy episode without the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eBPWwxOKwQ
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.