Shut Up, Joe! Sidney Rigdon Remains!

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Shut Up, Joe! Sidney Rigdon Remains!

Post by bill4long »

October 8, 1843, Joseph Smith raised a motion at the church's general conference to oust Sidney Rigdon from the first presidency.

Can you imagine anything like that happening today?

Here's what happened...

Joseph's motion was rejected. Yes, rejected. Joe's will not be done.

Sidney remained in the first presidency against Joe's wishes.

Doesn't that make you wonder?

Ohhhhhh, Sidney!

The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Moksha
God

Re: Shut Up, Joe! Sidney Rigdon Remains!

Post by Moksha »

Was that at a time when Joseph's actions were a bit shady and members may have thought Sidney was needed to keep him on the straight and narrow?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:32 pm
Was that at a time when Joseph's actions were a bit shady and members may have thought Sidney was needed to keep him on the straight and narrow?
I should think so. Sidney had that kind of clout. And beyond. I don't think most chapel Mormons, or post-Mormons, realize Sidney Rigdon's place in the Mormon Scheme of Things. I'm feeling he should probably get more attention.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
High Spy
Regional Representative

Post by High Spy »

bill4long wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:54 am
Moksha wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:32 pm
I should think so. Sidney had that kind of clout. And beyond. I don't think most chapel Mormons, or post-Mormons, realize Sidney Rigdon's place in the Mormon Scheme of Things. I'm feeling he should probably get more attention.
https://www.ldsfreedomforum.com/search. ... mit=Search

For logged in members of LDSFF, the link above currently shows 21 matches about “the Spirit said to me that that man Sidney Rigdon was the source of the theology in the Book of Mormon it is absolute knowledge.”
. . . * . . . . . . . . **

3*8** Knight Lion, but not Nite Lion. 🐳 gbng

Everybody's heard the whale and 8 are linked. :lol:

Choose the 🥩
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

I imagine the backyard whispering in Nauvoo was that Sidney was against secret polygamous canoodling. Although some may have viewed him as an old religious fuddy-duddy who was a killjoy for horny priesthood antics, and thus an unworthy successor to Joseph.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace