FOURTH NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI WHO IS THE SON OF NEPHI—ONE OF THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

Re: Numbers game

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:40 pm
What are the odds?

91, 110, 1005, 5400, 12000

JACKPOT BONUS!

You Win!

Dear readers,

For those who are familiar with my threads and the numerology expressed therein with regard to Joseph Smith’s borrowings from biblical numbers -- you know full well that the POWERBALL number can only be one number, a single digit -- and it expresses all things biblical which was adopted into Smith’s secret combination of One Eternal Now:

That number is:

(7)

The odds are utterly astronomical in proving Smith was a thief in the night. He used biblical numbers to advance a cause of vain claims of an ambitious desire to make him seem like he was a prophet and seer. But not so! Joseph Smith has been shown to be a fraud and I so testify that I know he was. I do so with POWER and determination with my arms and hands raised in the air. Nothing, absolutely nothing can refute this.

Amen.
Shulem
God

Re: Three Nephites

Post by Shulem »

Dear readers,

I wish to express something that I find somewhat revealing that perhaps you’ve never considered or given much thought. The character “Mormon” in the Book of Mormon who abridged the plates was a chief author within the book. He was a librarian of sorts for the entire Book of Mormon collection and he knew everything there was to know about what was written on the plates. We learn in Fourth Nephi that the three disciples who “should tarry” were ministering among the Nephites a hundred years after Christ’s visitation. Later in year 231 AD (a date also on the timeline) we are again informed that they continue to tarry in their ministry.

But with that, let’s go back to Third Nephi and recall an interesting statement made by Mormon as he was abridging the plates and relating fantastic and miraculous stories about the ministry of the three disciples.

3 Nephi 28:24,25 wrote:And now I, Mormon, make an end of speaking concerning these things for a time.

Behold, I was about to write the names of those who were never to taste of death, but the Lord forbade; therefore I write them not, for they are hid from the world.

Why did Mormon not write the names of the three disciples? He said “the Lord forbade” him. But that is a lie! The Lord never forbade anyone to record or cite the names of the three disciples. How so? This lie actually originates with Joseph Smith who was relating this information as he was dictating the story with his head in a hat. Smith claimed to translate the plates by reading words as they appeared on a stone in the bottom of his hat. But in this case, the names of the three disciples would not be made known because the Lord supposedly intervened in ancient times in order to make it a mystery.

Why?

I posit that Smith could not remember the exact names of the twelve disciples that he named earlier when dictating the text of 19:4. Later, while in contemplation and discussing the ministry of the three disciples, Mormon JOSEPH SMITH instantly realized that he couldn’t recall the names and so he popped the excuse that the Lord forbade the names be recorded within the record and that it ever remain a mystery. There really is no reason the names could not or should not be recorded other than Smith just couldn’t remember them! Thus, Smith was caught in the act of pretending to translate!

Here are the names of the twelve given earlier in the text of 19:4; note how some of them would be hard to remember after listing them just once, perhaps many days prior:

Nephi
Timothy
Jonas
Mathoni
Mathonihah
Kumen
Kumenonhi
Jeremiah
Shemnon
Jonas
Zedekiah
Isaiah

In light of this it becomes easy to see why Smith did not tell us who the three disciples were because had he done so he would have to do the following:

Joe wrote:Brother Oliver, let us break for a short while. Please turn the leaves in your manuscript back to when Jesus chose the twelve disciples and read their names. I do not recall the names and would like to have Mormon record them in this record for a testimony to the whole world.
Moksha
God

Re: FOURTH NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI WHO IS THE SON OF NEPHI—ONE OF THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST

Post by Moksha »

Shulemoniha would have made a great place name for somewhere south of the Land of Desolation. Not sure what Power Ball number would be assigned, but most likely it could be purchased at the 7-11 on the corner of 1005 Nibley Ave.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Re: FOURTH NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI WHO IS THE SON OF NEPHI—ONE OF THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 10:46 pm
Shulemoniha would have made a great place name for somewhere south of the Land of Desolation.

Well, since you put it that way we might as well consider possible full names for the twelve disciples because it’s possible the Book of Mormon simply abbreviated their real names in order to save golden plate space.

Nephihaha
Timothyleary
Jonasasshah
Mathonihah
Mathonihahaha
Kumenihah
Kumenonhihaha
Jeremiahahah
Shemnonihah
Jonasasshah II
Zedekiahah
Isaiahoopoophah
Brack
Deacon

Post by Brack »

It looks like we'll never know the names of the three Nephites. :(
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Brack wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:49 pm
It looks like we'll never know the names of the three Nephites. :(

We will also never know the number of days for Lehi’s voyage to the promised land because Smith couldn’t recall the original number recorded in the lost 116-page manuscript comprising the Book of Lehi. It’s inconceivable to think that Nephi would not have recorded that number in his historical record. It’s easy however, to point the finger at Smith for not being able to remember that detail and thus the account given of the voyage when translating with Cowdery fails to produce a number. That’s a huge red flag!

The explanation that Mormon tendered in Third Nephi about not recording the names in order to “keep them hid from the world” is a flimsy excuse on Smith’s part for forgetting the names in the first place! Then later, in Mormon chapter eight, there is a subtle hint of that failure when Moroni explains how the three disciples personally ministered to him and his father. In his next breath (verse 12) he says, “And whoso receiveth this record, and shall not condemn it because of the imperfections which are in it” as if Smith himself is recalling his inability to remember the names while translating and chalks it up as a personal imperfection known only to him!

But now we all know! Smith screwed up and tried to cover his screwup with a flimsy excuse that makes zero sense. There is no reason in heaven or on earth why the names of the three disciples could not have been recorded considering the claim that they continued to minister in the flesh to various peoples including Mormon and Moroni. Keeping the names a secret in the record is nothing more than Joseph Smith’s dirty little secret for not being able to recall them during translation. And his excuse he tendered is pathetic!
Shulem
God

400 Years

Post by Shulem »

Fourth Nephi really only serves a single purpose and that is to boil things down quickly and deplete the timeline from Christ to the fulfillment of Alma’s 400 year count-down prophecy leading to apostasy and total Nephite doom. And by golly, all of Mormon’s attention is to get that prophecy fulfilled no matter what and do it quickly. The original prophecy was given by Alma:

Alma 45:10,11 wrote:And these are the words: Behold, I perceive that this very people, the Nephites, according to the spirit of revelation which is in me, in four hundred years from the time that Jesus Christ shall manifest himself unto them, shall dwindle in unbelief.

Yea, and then shall they see wars and pestilences, yea, famines and bloodshed, even until the people of Nephi shall become  extinct—

Then, some 67 years later, the prophecy is again repeated in a voice of warning by Samuel the Lamanite:

Helaman 12 wrote:5 And he said unto them: Behold, I, Samuel, a Lamanite, do speak the words of the Lord which he doth put into my heart; and behold he hath put it into my heart to say unto this people that the sword of justice hangeth over this people; and four hundred years pass not away save the sword of justice falleth upon this people.

9 And four hundred years shall not pass away before I will cause that they shall be smitten; yea, I will visit them with the sword and with famine and with pestilence.

10 Yea, I will visit them in my fierce anger, and there shall be those of the  fourth generation who shall live, of your enemies, to behold your utter destruction; and this shall surely come except ye repent, saith the Lord; and those of the fourth generation shall visit your destruction.

Notice how Alma more or less equates a generation as a value of 100 years and four of them will eventually pass before the end comes. Fourth Nephi specifically names the “first” (verse 18) and “second” (verse 22) generation by the 100 and 200 year marks. Verse 45 alludes to the third generation saying “And it came to pass that when three hundred years had passed away”.

Moroni gets the privilege of noting the fulfillment of the 400 year prophecy and tells the tale of total doom:

Mormon 8:6 wrote: Behold, four hundred years have passed away since the coming of our Lord and Savior.

Thus we see how Fourth Nephi mainly serves to pass 286 years quickly in order to advance to the 400 year mark given by Mormon. Fourth Nephi is pretty much a quick and fast means to introduce young Mormon into the story and allow him and his son Moroni to fulfill the 400 year prophecy and close the book.

Here is the complete timeline which combines Fourth Nephi with Mormon and Moroni showing the four generations in red:

34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, (40 & 41), 42, 49, (50 & 51), 52, 59, 71, 72, 79, 100, 110, 194, 200, 201, 210, 230, 231, 244, 250, 260, 300, 305, 320, 326, 327, 330, 344, 345, 346, 349, 350, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 366, 367, 375, 379, 380, 384, 400, 420
Shulem
God

Re: 400 Years

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 7:04 pm
34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, (40 & 41), 42, 49, (50 & 51), 52, 59, 71, 72, 79, 100, 110, 194, 200, 201, 210, 230, 231, 244, 250, 260, 300, 305, 320, 326, 327, 330, 344, 345, 346, 349, 350, 360, 361, 362, 363, 364, 366, 367, 375, 379, 380, 384, 400, 420

It’s interesting to point out that the entire 400-year timeline recorded by Mormon and Moroni contains only 52 numbers and each century mark makes the list! This serves to show how Joseph Smith was keeping track of time using a base chronology punctuated by four century marks. He needed to keep the timeline relatively simple to meet the main goal in closing out 1,000 years of Nephite history. That was Smith’s intention from the very beginning!

Smith did a brilliant job in keeping track of the numbers and maintaining his chronology while dictating the story with his head in a hat. Please see my other Celestial thread entitled “600 Years in The Book of Mormon”

Bravo!
Shulem
God

BC vs. AD

Post by Shulem »

I now point out an interesting comparison between the BC timeline and the AD timeline with regard to the century marks being recorded for the thousand year duration of the Nephite saga. I’ve pointed out that each of the century marks (100, 200, 300, 400) are specifically recorded in the timeline following the coming of Christ in order to work its way forward to fulfill the 400-year prophecy of Nephite destruction due to apostasy. It’s like getting a neat checkmark each time a hundred years passes and thus Joseph Smith can check another box leading up to the final scene. All of it happens very quickly, mostly in a single chapter comprising Fourth Nephi. But notice that the 600-year BC timeline only has two century marks (200, 600), respectfully! Why does the record not record 100, 300, 400, 500 in the timeline as a commemoration or a check box for another hundred years?

Employing century marks would complicate the BC timeline and they simply aren’t needed. Recall that Nephi gave the original prophecy that Christ would be born 600 years after his father Lehi left Jerusalem. Thus, Smith started the BC timeline beginning with the date 600 BC and worked his way to the AD 1 mark by employing a chronology containing 12 numbers: 8, 30, 40, 179, 200, 238, 276, 320, 476, 509, 595, 600. The difference between the two timelines (BC & AD) is that BC works backwards and forwards in biblical chronology but AD only moves into the future. So, keeping track of the century marks in the BC timeline would have been difficult and would complicate the timeline as it relates to the stories therein.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Nov 07, 2022 11:03 pm
Mathonihahaha
This name seems to violate the Lord's displeasure with loud laughter. :lol:
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.