FOURTH NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI WHO IS THE SON OF NEPHI—ONE OF THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

What are the odds?

Post by Shulem »

Recall in my opening post I listed all of the dates that are mentioned in the Fourth Nephi account. There are a total of 31 dates, many of the earlier dates piggy back after each other. But notice how after considerable time passes which is marked as the “first generation” (100 & 110 AD) and the “second generation” (200 AD), the record then concludes with some larger gaps.

Be it as it may, there are 31 specific dates mentioned in the account:

34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, (40 & 41), 42, 49, (50 & 51), 52, 59, 71, 72, 79, 100, 110, 194, 200, 201, 210, 230, 231, 244, 250, 260, 300, 305, 320

Time Span:
320 - 34 = 286 Years

This means there is less than 11% chance that any number from 34 through 320 will be picked by the author to mark a date in Fourth Nephi and notice how 17 of the numbers is more than half of all dates less than 100. This means that only 14 possible choices are left to mark dates in a time span of 220 years which reduced the chance a number being selected to less than 7%. And of those 14 remaining dates you’ll notice that 9 of them end in zero and are therefore divisible by 10. So, from what I gather, the author was wholly determined to include the number 110 in the chronology even though the overall odds of it naturally occurring are quite small. I think the 110 sticks out like a sore thumb just as the 1,005 does elsewhere in the Book of Mormon -- see here and here.

Does anyone else see the numbers adding up as I do and catch the significance of all this? Or am I just a crazy lone wolf barking at the moon? :cry:

PS. Readers will notice I use the old AD to designate the era after Christ. It’s an old habit I’ve never been able to shake. I apologize if it irritates readers because I don’t use up-to-date designations to distinguish the era.
Shulem
God

Unnatural longevity

Post by Shulem »

The apologetic faith promoting teaching that prophets in the Book of Mormon lived extra ordinary long lives due to righteousness is a complete and utter slam on all the other prophets who lived a regular lifespan. It could be argued that longevity before and after the flood was mythical in nature and was employed to provide a supernatural condition in order to promote religion. The account of Moses and Joshua was the end of what could be construed as extra ordinary claims of long lifespans. Once the kingdoms of Israel and Judah were established, lifespans for everyone appear normal even for Eli the priest who was said to die at age 98 which is acceptable and believable. Thus, mythical long-life spans ended when Israelite chronology became contemporaneous and common with other nations whereby the kingdoms of Judah and Israel had normal life spans for everyone regardless of righteousness or who they were!

But Mormon apologists push a faith promoting idea that extraordinary long life-spans once again occur with extra righteous servants of God during Book of Mormon times for both BC & AD eras. Once again, critics can easily see how promoting the idea that some people lived for an extraordinary long period of time can be chalked up as mythical fiction! But we know that Lehi, Nephi, and a host of other super righteous characters in the Book of Mormon lived regular lifespans and that the sneaky examples Joseph Smith encrypted into his novel are a ruse.

Apologetic excuses are faith promoting nonsense.
Shulem
God

Sneaky tricks

Post by Shulem »

For me, what I find important about reading the Book of Mormon is understanding Joseph Smith’s motives and mindset for why he wrote the things he did. The examples I’ve given about Smith secretly encoding long lives into the stories causes me to pause and ask deep questions about these motives. At first glance it appears that Smith just made mistakes in his chronology and lost count of the years. I suppose that critics can have that viewpoint and be justified but I see the matter runs much deeper and after a lot of review and thought I don’t see them as errors at all. They are cold and careful calculations! I’ve counted the numbers and have matched them in such a way that I’ve come to the conclusion that Smith was just a sneaky guy that loved to weave mystery into his tales. He loved secrets and tricks! Fooling others is what he did best.

You’ll note that the accounts of Enos, Amos, and Ammaron say nothing about the long lives. The casual reader is never going to deduce the numbers to reflect that because the lifespans resulting in the secret combination of numbers is not mentioned or explained. Nothing is said about Enos, Amos, and Ammaron having lived an exceedingly long time which is the kind of language we are used to while reading the Book of Mormon. It was secreted into the text and was something Smith employed for reasons I’ve explained in this thread.

It all goes to show that Smith was sneaky, crafty, and deceptive -- a man not to be trusted.
Shulem
God

Re: What are the odds?

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:00 pm
Be it as it may, there are 31 specific dates mentioned in the account:

34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, (40 & 41), 42, 49, (50 & 51), 52, 59, 71, 72, 79, 100, 110, 194, 200, 201, 210, 230, 231, 244, 250, 260, 300, 305, 320

I’m wholly inclined to continue with the numerology and show how the first half of the numbers in the Fourth Nephi timeline are counted in what seems an organized fashion:

34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, (40 & 41), 42, 49, (50 & 51), 52, 59

The first segment accounts for the first 6 years after the appearance of Christ in America, thus the decade is wholly accounted for. But after that we are given two segments of two different decades yet curiously, they express the same numerical pattern:
  • 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39
  • (40 & 41), 42, 49
  • (50 & 51), 52, 59

Why did Joseph Smith do this? Why are these numbers written into the script in this sequence? Does anyone know?

“and forty and first, and the forty and second, yea, even until forty and nine years had passed away, and also the fifty and first, and the fifty and second; yea, and even until fifty and nine years had passed away”
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:02 am
  • (40 & 41), 42, 49
  • (50 & 51), 52, 59

Why did Joseph Smith do this? Why are these numbers written into the script in this sequence? Does anyone know?

“and forty and first, and the forty and second, yea, even until forty and nine years had passed away, and also the fifty and first, and the fifty and second; yea, and even until fifty and nine years had passed away”

However, it could be argued that the verse actually expresses the numbers in this order:

41, 42, 49
51, 52, 59

In either case, there is a pattern! And note that in the 7th decade we are given the familiar:

71, 72, 79

What is going on here?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:31 am
However, it could be argued that the verse actually expresses the numbers in this order:

41, 42, 49
51, 52, 59

In either case, there is a pattern! And note that in the 7th decade we are given the familiar:

71, 72, 79

What is going on here?

There is no question or doubt about it. The author (Joseph Smith) is counting numbers and keeping things consistent in his head and in a manner that rings his little bell while making up stories. Two decades bear the same pattern of numbers and then we skip forward and the pattern emerges again before the so-called first generation runs out.

Smith was counting numbers and playing games with them as well as the text.

I hope others here can see this. It’s right in front of your eyes!
Shulem
God

Re: FOURTH NEPHI THE BOOK OF NEPHI WHO IS THE SON OF NEPHI—ONE OF THE DISCIPLES OF JESUS CHRIST

Post by Shulem »

Marcus wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 5:08 pm
Looking forward to reading more, as usual. :D

So, what do you think of them apples? I’ve sliced and diced Joe Smith’s apples in perfect order and size.

;)
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Shulem wrote:
41, 42, 49
51, 52, 59
71, 72, 79

The above combination of numbers representing decades in the first generation is quite telling if you ask me. It shows the author was very cognizant of his numbers and expressed this set in an orderly fashion in covering a forty-year timespan. Apologists will simply say that Mormon was abridging the record and utilized some dates in which to tell the story while advancing through the timeline. But in reality, Joseph Smith’s face was buried in a hat and he drew those numbers of his own accord to keep track of the years. It was for Smith’s own purpose that he called those numbers out. To think that a genuine ancient historian is recording dates in that order is quite a stretch and exhibits an excessive and unnecessary overuse of numbers. It seems Smith overused numbers in order to add content to a storyline he didn’t want to spend time explaining!

It would have been much simpler and efficient had the author used the numbers 50, 60, 80 to express the passing of forty years. But we are not dealing with an ancient author recording an actual record on precious gold plates in which every particle of space is precious. We are dealing with Joseph Smith babbling onward and moving his story forward in his own way. This example makes this plainly obvious. All of it is pure fiction.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
41, 42, 49
51, 52, 59
71, 72, 79
Lotto numbers for the New York State Power Ball?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Numbers game

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:49 pm
Shulem wrote:
41, 42, 49
51, 52, 59
71, 72, 79
Lotto numbers for the New York State Power Ball?

SERIOUSLY though, Moksha knows just as well as anyone on this forum the things I’ve submitted and contributed to the cause in understanding how Mormon scripture is shown to be a fraud. Not just shown, but proven by all odds and being a direct contradiction to truth and light. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt and with every fiber of my being and every ounce or essence of who I am (a soul) that the Church is indubitably a fraud. I know that just as surely as I know the sun shines and that I live and have a being. It is perfect knowledge void of all faith in things that are false. No conman, false prophet or tricky apologist is ever going to persuade me to deny the light which shines brilliantly and gloriously in my soul and mind. I have the truth and have been made free!

This thread has showcased how the very important number of (110) was utilized by Joseph Smith in order to make his own tale of fiction seem livelier by typifying that number from Joseph of Egypt. And again, Joseph of Egypt is typified again when the age of (91) was also borrowed (see “Enos” in the note at the bottom of the opening post). BOTH numbers were taken by Joseph Smith to form a secret combination in producing a psychological subconscious effect on the mind to influence the reader to accept Smith’s fictitious stories.

And if that is not enough, I’ve also explained here on this board how Joseph Smith stole the number (1005) from King Solomon in order to provide a subconscious prop to boost the appearance of a story told in the Book of Mormon. An entire thread in the Terrestrial Forum entitled “Solomon's 1,005 Songs = Alma's 1,005 martyred Lamanites and 230,000 Lucky Charms” is devoted to this effort.

So, roll the numbers for yourself and see how they pop up and expose Joseph Smith in playing with numbers in order to make himself look amazing. Several other numbers have also been counted and highlighted in my threads. But I’ve exposed his fraud and have called his bluff!

Joseph Smith, I caught you. You’re busted, my friend.

;)

What are the odds?

91, 110, 1005, 5400, 12000

JACKPOT BONUS!

You Win!
Last edited by Shulem on Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.