Mormons WHO SHOT JOSEPH AND HYRUM

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
SolveMormonism
Nursery

Mormons WHO SHOT JOSEPH AND HYRUM

Post by SolveMormonism »

For the past few weeks I have been looking at John M. Wills and William Vorhees, two of the four shooters outside the jailer's bedroom door at Carthage Jail. John M. Wills was the 'ex-Mormon preacher' who was interviewed by George T.M. Davis, the mayor of Alton, the following morning. He lived in Walker Township. William Vorhees of adjacent Bear Creek was baptized in Ohio in 1833 with his parents and siblings; they all remained in the church and later went to Manti.
Today's surprise: on the 1842 tax list for Hancock County, it turned out that Wills had almost 1,700 acres across five sections. Not bad for a (roughly) 30-year-old. Not bad for the four shooters described by several lazy writers as 'ne'er-do-wells in it for the whiskey.'
My question: has anyone looked more closely at Wills? If he had a falling out with Joseph Smith Jr., when did it happen?
The best I have come up with is, since Wills was married in Hancock County in 1837, he likely became a Mormon after the group at Bear Creek; they were baptized in 1840. The last I found of him was a newspaper mention Sept. 25, 1845. He was sick at the time; Mormons from Nauvoo with acting sheriff Jacob Backenstos drove away his cattle and stole his honey. He must have died within two years, because his wife remarried in the county Sept. 12, 1847. No mention in probate or a gravesite.
Would be exremely interested in exchanging with someone who has looked at him.
My material is a free online book, www.thefaceofpopularexcitement.com and it has an e-mail link.
Thanks
Joe