What Are Your "Beliefs" (the Most Active Commenters)?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Free Ranger
Deacon

Re: What Are Your "Beliefs" (the Most Active Commenters)?

Post by Free Ranger »

Gadianton wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:22 pm
Res wrote: "that isn't real Mormonism" and "it's still Mormonism and Mormonism is bad." Unfortunately, it's what people do. Personally, I think what you've done is exactly what everyone does: constructs a personal philosophy or belief system out of different ideas.
Free wrote:middle ways and moderate views are often hated by the extremists. Orthodox Mormon Apologists of course detest my views because I reject the historicity of the Book of Mormon, etc.,
Free wrote:]So I was just trying to figure out if I could share some alternative points of view in the "exmormon community" on how to interpret "Mormonism" in a pragmatic humanistic kind
I think the extreme left on this board is open to "pragmatic" Mormonism, if only for the fact that the New Maxwell Institute does the very same thing that Free is talking about, and the anti-apologists on this board root for the New MI against the apologists, and so if I were a pragmatic Mormon encountering folks on this board telling me that my beliefs were "bad" (in the moral sense), I would go to Google and find something similar published by the New MI and force the critic to say something bad about the new MI. "middle way", pragmatic, postmodernist, or existentialist interpretation of Mormonism or religion almost always bring the practitioner to the political left and so in general, it would be strange for an extreme leftist on this board to find moral fault with a person advocating Mormon pragmatism, which generally includes tolerance and inclusion. However, I can think of two main exceptions to this.

1) At least half the time, Mormon pragmatism is really just a bizarre rebranding of Mormon fundamentalism. At BYU, in a phil class I took, a fantastic teacher in terms of lecture quality explained enthusiastically, that Kierkegaard's ideas are "right there in Alma 32!" And then for the next set of lectures, on Nietzsche, this teacher had another professor come in who specialized in Nietzsche, and he enthusiastically taught the depths of which Nietzsche can help us understand the gospel of Jesus Christ and be better Christians. Superficially, this approach does liberalize belief including being more inclusive of others. But in reality, it's repackaging Mormon fundamentalism for two reasons.
--a) All of these reactions to philosophy undercut traditional ideas about certainty, and cue DCP, religion can be another category of knowledge that science doesn't have access to. Science can be a religious institution filled with fundamentalists at heart and so on, these theories become a epistemic protection for religious belief so that critics can't prove them wrong. It's part of the battle for ultimately being right.

--b) Kierkegaard was a devoted Christian, but harshly critical Christian culture. Nietzsche is much less friendly to theology, but Mormons point out that Mormonism isn't theological, and doesn't contain the corruptions of Greek philosophy, and that Nietzsche rightfully held Christianity in contempt while the restoration fixes all of these criticisms. So it's a backhanded way of proving themselves right. Also, by finding the Book of Mormon filled with existentialist philosophy, it's just another "how could he (Joseph) have known!" argument. In other words, look at all this deep contemplation in Mormon scripture; therefore, Mormonism must be true! Look at mfb over at FAIR, all he talks about is nuanced belief and pragmatism ala Wittgenstein, yet, he's a total obnoxious zealot for traditional Mormonism.

2) I've pointed out more than once that while we give a pass to the new MI for offering a more tolerant Mormonism, if folks were to read the fine print, it's pretty nutty stuff. Few if any on the extreme left here arrived where they are at by studying philosophy. Inclusivity as a result of postmodern investigations into religion is the right outcome, but getting from point A to point B might be incomprehensible and uninteresting for most, and so someone who comes onto the board getting really technical with pragmatism and related subjects could encounter resistance simply because the participants are either unfamiliar with these kinds of arguments or think these arguments lack merit. A pragmatist usually arrives left but not always, and there are other ways to arrive left aside from pragmatism.

I have the opposite history of free. I started out, beginning with that class I mentioned, as "middle way" Mormon hoping to save faith and interest in the faith by postmodernist enlightenment, but that lasted maybe 3-4 years max and I ended up as a basic atheist (not new atheist).
I hear what you are saying, but it does not apply to me: I am a different animal than the Mormon apologists and LDS Fundamentalists and I don't even fit the Maxwell Institute (new MI) mold. Just go to the table of contents to the right of my blog and read through my Sex, Gods, and Zion (see http://emergentmormon.blogspot.com/ ) where I reject the shaming Purity Culture of Brighamite Mormonism, and present a more body-affirming view in "the spirit of" Nietzche's Life Affirmation. See my blog series on Joseph and Nietzche to see my views on Nietzche and Smith.

You brought up the left. I have moved from a moderate liberal and center-left, voting Democrat in every election so far, to in just the last five years moving to center-right, just like Elon Musk and Bill Maure and Joe Rogan (to name a few well known political commentators), and others. I am not unique in this. This happened with me due changes with the New Leftism which feels more and more dogmatic and religious and anti free speech, just like I felt as a devout temple Mormon. But I don't want to get off topic. The main reason I moved to more moderate politically is mostly because of reading Nietzsche and absorbing his philosophy of radical aristocracy as he called it, and his emphasis on rank order as he puts it, which while of course I don't completely agree with (and am not a Nietzchean!), it did lead me to think more in terms of biological life affirmation. So his emphasis on the affirmation of biological life, as he wanted to endorse the family unit and respect for fathers and strongly endorses traditional marriage in his Zarathustra, all of that has led me to be slightly more conservative, mostly because Nietzsche opened my eyes to the problem with leveling ideologies at odds with reality and The Government seeking to force utopian fantasies he covers in his writings. I agree with Nietzsche that a culture is only as strong as the healthy mythology upholding the family unit and stable fathers and mothers and the hero in one's soul. So while I have moved toward a "spiritual pragmatism" I have not moved further left politically but more moderate or in the middle with a slightly more conservative view due to reading Nietzsche himself which is ironic I know given his reputation as a famous atheist. But it's actually not that ironic when one engages Nietzchean scholarship more in-depth and realizes that Nietzche was actually a rather quasi "religious" or "spiritual" person in many ways, or at least he saw the existential and physiological benefits of what Joseph Campbell would later refer to as the Monomyth and Hero's Journey, which is a subject for a whole other thread.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

My beliefs, to point to a location:
I am a Christian believer. I accept Nicene creed and see Jesus as fully human who died and rose from the dead. I am not a fundamentalist, I do not believe in verbal inerrancy for the Bible. I do believe in Inspiration and that the Holy Spirit uses the Bible in calling us.

I believe in science because the world we live in was created by God and is thus a revelation of God to us.

I believe all religions have some reflections of our human spiritual awareness and wisdom. They also are limited and may be distorted. I believe Christianity has an opening to a central life giving wisdom which can enliven all the worlds wisdom. It is also capable of distortion like any religion. It can be harmed by ignorance fear greed and lust for power over others. Christianity is always in need of renewal, improved understanding and honesty.

Thinking of Books freethinker mentioned, I like Marcus Borg some, I am very put off by Spong.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

You brought up the left
Actually, I think you brought up leftist posters here several times and so I was responding to that.
aas he wanted to endorse the family unit and respect for fathers and strongly endorses traditional marriage in his Zarathustra
Well, he did live in the 1800s.
I have not moved further left politically but more moderate or in the middle with a slightly more conservative view due to reading Nietzsche himself which is ironic I know given his reputation as a famous atheist
As you point out, he wasn't a typical atheist; most positivists don't get from point A to point B deconstructing Greek mythology.

Given his strong appeal to Nazi philosophers, I think it's fair to say it's not ironic when his readers move to the right. Mainstream (left) academicians will say that Nietzsche was abused, and many will also say you can separate Heidegger's philosophy from Heidegger the Nazi. One thing Jacques Derrida said that I agree with is an author is in some way responsible for mis-readings. An extreme example for the sake of illustration would be with the Book of Mormon and "cursed with a dark skin".

The racism in the Book of Mormon seems par for the course for its time. Apologists advance technical arguments to try and get the Book of Mormon off the hook, and show that we're misreading these passages -- it's not literally talking about dark skins. Okay, suppose they are right. God is all-knowing, and he knew that the Book of Mormon would be brought forth in a time when its translation will sound trivially racist and right at home. God is quite responsible for these mis-readings for not inspiring his prophets to phrase these passages differently so it's clear skin color isn't what they are talking about.
Free Ranger
Deacon

Post by Free Ranger »

huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:24 pm
My beliefs, to point to a location:
I am a Christian believer. I accept Nicene creed and see Jesus as fully human who died and rose from the dead. I am not a fundamentalist, I do not believe in verbal inerrancy for the Bible.... I believe Christianity has an opening to a central life giving wisdom which can enliven all the worlds wisdom. ...

Thinking of Books freethinker mentioned, I like Marcus Borg some, I am very put off by Spong.
Good to know. Thanks for sharing. I really like what you said here when you wrote, "I believe Christianity has an opening to a central life giving wisdom which can enliven all the worlds wisdom. ..." I completely agree.

I respect all beliefs and want Christianity to grow more in our culture given what I see as a decline in family stability, which has led a lot of other atheists to come to similar conclusions as I have recently. I have no idea if Christ literally resurrected but I like the way Marcus Borg explains his beliefs on that matter, it's similar to my own.
John Spong is definitely more critical and is off putting to many, and having read most of his books, even I was like what are you doing? with what may have been his last book Unbelievable; I mean he seemed to want to gut any last vestiage of supernaturalism from Christianity, which even I was like that's too far. But for me, as a long time atheist, his approach was more digestable as a skeptic than other versions of Christianity being offered to me. It was through mostly Spong that I first learned to greater appreciate the metaphorical and midrashic methods of interpreting the Bible, which led me to move beyond Spong and do a deep dive into biblical scholarship on midrash, which was very helpful in changing my point of view and appreciate the Bible more as "inspired literary art," as I see it now. For example, these articles were helpful to me personally in reconstructing my Christian faith/lifestance and approaching scripture differently:

> Scripturalized Narrative in the Gospel of Mark and the Second Temple Period (SBL Annual Meeting, 2020) by Nathanael Vette. This short article does an excellent job summarizing how the Gospel of Mark is largely a midrashic or a narrative scripturalization of Old Testament texts.

> Scripturalization in Mark’s Crucifixion Narrative by Mark Goodacre

> Any article summarizing Richard Hay's books on Figural Reading

> Midrash in the New Testament Posted on February 17, 2014 by jesuswithoutbaggage

> Midrash in the New Testament by Kasper Bro Larsen

> Midrash and the New Testament: A Methodology for the Study of Gospel Midrash by Miguel Pérez Fernández. See page 367 of the ebook Pdf online. If link does not work, search Google for the book The New Testament and Rabbinic Literature: Supplements to the Journal for the Study of Judaism, Editor Hindy Najman Volume 136.

> The Interpretation of Scripture: The Use of the Old Testament in the New. See: https://biblicalstudies.org.uk/int_otnt.php This has links to several Articles on Midrash or Figural Reading of the Hebrew Bible into the New Testament)

I share this because it may be helpful to you and for anyone interested in understanding my point of view and how I have been able to interpret the Bible in this way and thus value the artistic beauty and developing ethics in the Bible, and then also appreciate Mormon scripture on similar grounds.
Free Ranger
Deacon

Post by Free Ranger »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 12:12 am
You brought up the left
Actually, I think you brought up leftist posters here several times and so I was responding to that.
aas he wanted to endorse the family unit and respect for fathers and strongly endorses traditional marriage in his Zarathustra
Well, he did live in the 1800s.
I have not moved further left politically but more moderate or in the middle with a slightly more conservative view due to reading Nietzsche himself which is ironic I know given his reputation as a famous atheist
As you point out, he wasn't a typical atheist; ...
... An extreme example for the sake of illustration would be with the Book of Mormon and "cursed with a dark skin".
Dr. Shades recently asked me in a recent thread my take on the issue of "skin" in the Book of Mormon. The response below is basically what I commented to him. I have approached that subject on and off for many years, mostly as an exmormon taking the position that Joseph Smith was a racist and the Book of Mormon is racist and must be tossed out as racist nonsense. However, about two years ago I decided to reinvestigate the subject. And it was actually a never-Mormon's book, Make Yourselves Gods by Peter Coviello, that tackles the issue of race in the Book of Mormon as a non-biased academic, that led me to reassess my position on the subject of race in the Book of Mormon. I'm currently writing a document to formulate my thoughts and opinions on the matter, that I do not intend to publish to make money or anything, but which I put together for myself, but I'm not confident with the manuscript to publish a link to to share yet but here is my working abstract summary:

Abstract (Brief Summary):

After studying the issue on and off for years now, I truly think that when Joseph Smith dictated the Book of Mormon to his scribes, either naturally or through supernatural inspiration (or a combination of both, as LDS scholar Blake Ostler believes), he did not mean those words that mention "dark skin" to be racist; but that he was actually trying to counteract the racism of his day. It was a never-Mormon named Peter Coviello who led me to this conclusion. Coviello's book Make Yourselves Gods, led me to rethink things.
This document presents two plausible views.

In Part One, I will argue that the language of "skins" in the Book of Mormon is entirely metaphorical and has nothing to do with skin color or pigmentation. In other words, every time "skin" is mentioned it has nothing to do with race or skin color. I will argue this point forcefully in Part One and believe it is a plausible theory, and a view held by many LDS scholars.

In Part Two, I will discuss the various views among scholars, that some of the characters in the Book of Mormon might be conveying racist points of view. The benefits of addressing this theory is that it is the interpretation of most non-Mormons who approach the text and it's the initial surface reading interpretation by most readers during a first reading of the text. Thus by dealing with the idea that the characters in the book are conveying racial stereotypes head on, one appears more serious about truly revealing the true meaning and intention of the text rather than being an "apologetic" Defender of the Faith in a biased attempt to be faith-promoting at any cost.

So I will incorporate these theories and provide what I currently think is the most likely view, which is that Joseph Smith used "racist sounding" language in the Book of Mormon but it was meant to echo or mirror the common views of racist white Protestants in his day, in order to actually criticize and condemn the racism of his day. This view is complex and I explore it in greater detail in the Second Part of this document. But for the sake of brevity, here is a snapshot summary of Part Two:

It has become very clear to me that while someone can certainly assign various motives to Joseph Smith throughout his career, which everyone from Fawn Brody to Dan Vogel have done, in the end the consensus among objective scholars is that especially in the beginning of his career as a prophet, Joseph Smith had noble intentions. Setting aside Dan Vogel's theory for Joseph's justification for his writing pseudepigraphy and midrash because anything that promotes Christ he considered good, what I see consistently in his Scriptures he produced is a criticism of injustice/unfairness and un-equity. His vision of the good society (Zion) is a society of the "pure in heart," where this no more rich or poor and class divisions, as presented in the Book of Moses chapter 7. So I cannot read hundreds of pages of Joseph Smith writing about equity and justice and having compassion for others, and him repeatedly criticizing the rich and greedy and those who want to feel superior to others, and then just readily assume all of the passages on "skin" in the Book of Mormon are Joseph Smith acting like a rabid racist. I just can't read through all the scriptures and revelations that consistently condemns attitudes of supremacy and classism and all are equal as children of God, and nonchalantly consider it as a possibility that Joseph intended to produce a racist text with a racist message.
Even when I was a disgruntled ex-Mormon atheist I did not believe that, even though many or most exmormons jump to that conclusion. For it just came off to me as a non sequitur, in other words it just does not follow after objectively absorbing the mountains of evidence in Joseph Smith's only own scriptural productions.
When you combine the Mormon scriptural record with Joseph Smith's personal life, one sees a clear trajectory of Joseph Smith being either anti-racist and moving more and more away from the racist ideas of his day and time; which is the exact opposite of what we later see with Brigham Young.
So in Part Two, we will see that Joseph Smith was likely writing a kind of pseudepigrapha and/or midrash, and he felt inspired to synthesize several ideas. I think he had a kind of photographic memory and knew the New Testament like the back of his hand. I think what he could have been doing was taking the racism of his day in the 1820s, when many or most Protestants believed that Native Americans were savage "red skin" people (othering them as "Other"), and turning their racism against them.
The latest theory on this subject from an LDS scholar, as of 2023, is the following: Understanding the Lamanite Mark by Clifford P. Jones (Interpreter: A Journal of Latter-day Saint Faith and Scholarship 56 (2023): 171-258) at https://journal.interpreterfoundation.o ... nite-mark/
A short summary of Clifford Jones' article by Kyler Rasmussen can be read here: https://interpreterfoundation.org/inter ... dark-mark/
Based on Clifford Jones' scholarship, Smith also may have been thinking in terms of their tattoos that often covered their whole bodies so that they appeared to have a "skin of blackness," on their face included. See these links:
https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... popup=true

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/ne ... popup=true

https://www.larskrutak.com/blog-post-1/

https://misterroadtripper.files.wordpre ... ree-23.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_u63pVkkok

At least one white woman also had a tribal tattoo as well:

https://octaviasvintage.wordpress.com/2012/11/09/1773/

Note, I am not 100% committed to the theory that the "skins of blackness" was tattoos, but reading Jone's article leads me to think it is a plausible theory. But whether or not the tattoo theory is correct, does not change my thesis in this document.
Despite what some exmormons think, Joseph Smith was clearly a true Christian, as even the exmormon historian Dan Vogel argues. As a genuine Christians I think Joseph really believed that Protestants shouldn't treat Native Americans as savages. I think he either truly believed that they (Native Americans) were actually Israelites, or he believed that giving them this noble identity would reverse the racism he was seeing among Protestants. As Dan Vogel argues, Joseph Smith would create a dramatic story for the greater good of promoting "Christ," which was thus always good in his mind. Joseph was all about equity and "esteeming your neighbor/brother as yourself," a theme he repeats all throughout his revelations and scriptural productions.
I think that when Joseph Smith had read New Testament passages like by their fruits you shall know them, and let your light shine, that these verses inspired him to create a story about a tree that produces bright shining "white"-lighted fruit and the fruit's skins/peeling had an aura/ambience of purity/holiness. This shining fruit tree metaphor, early on in the Book of Mormon, became the basis for discussing the "skins" of others throughout the rest of the book.
I think Joseph Smith intended the words skin(s) to be thought of synonymously with fruit peeling and inner spiritual transformation. When a Christian had the "baptism of fire," Joseph reasoned that their inner nature becomes molded into a pure bright white-lighted spirit-body, which Paul talks about but in terms of eventually fully putting on/wearing a new spiritual body (pneumatic body) in the resurrection (see 1 Cor. 15). However, prior to the resurrection Paul taught that the Christian has received God's divine "seed," via the pneuma (or Holy Spirit) that is forming a new pure/holy pneumatic-body within their body of fallible flesh. This process of inner implanting of the seed/Word is often described in the Gospels as a holy being shining bright like a light and thus glowingly "white" in appearance. Joseph read these Pauline passages on a glorified body within the converted Christian, and the Gospel metaphors of a Vine, fruit, and shining disciples, and spoke instead in terms of skin(s) becoming holy/pure/white and one's countenance metaphorically shines bright like this shining "white"-lighted fruit in the Book of Mormon. This is why Jesus' countenance shines upon his disciples and he appears as bright white-light (signifying his purity and holiness), in the Book of Mormon. This is why I think Joseph Smith changed the word "white" to purity in a later edition of the Book of Mormon. I think he did that because he realized other Mormons, who most often converted from Protestantism, were not getting the message.
As a religious genius, as Harold Bloom considered Joseph Smith, I think he combined these metaphors and used the Protestant's racist language against them by using ambiguous language like "skins," to get them to stop thinking in terms of literal skin and to move toward thinking of skins as a metaphor for one's countenance either being like a ripe and "alive" peeling, full of Life (see John 10:10), or dwindling in unbelief causing a withering effect in the language of scales of darkness/blindness or being like "chaff" (outer skin of corn or grain) mentioned in the Book of Mormon (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaff).
So the Book of Mormon was Joseph Smith trying to use these New Testament metaphors to unconsciously change the mind of white Protestants so that what they saw as "red skin" ("non-white" skin) among the Native Americans (or plausibly black ink tattoos that covered their bodies giving them the appearance of a "skin of blackness"), would be thought of as a result of their past wicked traditions (breaking the Law of Moses as Israelites), and that ultimately, even though these racist ideas were deeply ingrained in their consciousness, that they should move beyond it and not judge the Native Americans if they are true Christians.
I think the stories about the Lamanites' "skin" becoming "white" was likely intended to have an ambiguous dual meaning in order to "work upon the hearts" of white Protestants (compare D&C 19: 6-12), as Joseph was dealing with their racism that caused white Protestants to exclude Native Americans from the Christian fold. So just as the language of a permanent eternal hell in the Book of Mormon is not meant to be taken literally as D&C 19 explains, the language of skins on a surface reading is a message to white Protestants who are basically being played by the Nephites: who at certain points judge the Lamanites based on the appearance of their skins. Joseph is then intending to "work upon the hearts" of the reader and convince the white Protestants to no longer think in terms of "red skins," and they as perceived "whites" are more pure and holy as "white people," by having the Protestant reader unconsciously identify with the seemingly "righteous" Nephites who themselves are scolded for their judgment of the appearance of the Lamanites; and the Nephites' pride, un-equity, and racism ultimately gets them annihilated, thus it's a cautionary tale.
The intended effect is for the reader to move from the surface reading of the word "skins," that is meant to be ambiguous, and thus at times sounds like (or unclearly echoes) the racism of the white Protestants of the day through the Nephite characters; but as the book's full narrative unfolds cover to cover the reader is supposed to move beyond their white Protestant racism. As the text "works upon their hearts'' they are meant to ideally realize that the underlying message of the book in full is that they are to reinterpret what they see as skin ("white" or "red" skin) and their judging Native Americans on their outward appearance as red skinned and savage is ultimately un-Christ-like; and they should instead interpret skins as the inner skin of the pure/holy soul indwelt by Christ. So that the white Protestant reader instead thinks of skin as skin-peeling on fruit, recalling the metaphor of the white-lighted shining fruit tree in the beginning of The Book of Mormon. From this perspective, they would start focusing on the inner soul and spiritual skin (fruit-like "peeling"/ambience) of a Native American and not their superficial outward appearance.
In the end the Book of Mormon message is anti-racism, with their being ideally no "manner of -ites," and neither "white nor black," a verse Marvin Perkins argues persuasively means neither "pure/holy nor wicked." So that Joseph is imbedding an unconscious anti-racist narrative: intended to cause the white Protestant reader to stop thinking of skin color ("red skins" or blackened skin from tattoos) as a permanent sign of un-Christian "wicked" traditions, and they as Protestants are more pure (holy/set-apart), but to instead focus on one's inner capacity for transformation through the "baptism of fire," and undergoing a process of inner purification and transformation toward growing into a peeling that resembles God's image/personage. As it says in Alma 5:19:
"I say unto you, can ye look up to God at that day with a pure heart and clean hands? I say unto you, can you look up, having the image of God engraven upon your countenances?"
Note that the original doctrine published in 1835, in the fifth Lecture on Faith, basically explains that the Son (Jesus) as a personage of tabernacle, is the express image and likeness of the personage of the Father. This emphasis on appearance and likeness could further support the interpretation of the Book of Mormon talk of skins and countenance as meaning developing this inner spiritual transformation and having the Mind/Spirit (or Pneuma) of the Father, as a way of developing the shining star-like Pauline pneumatic-body within, so that you appear in the same likeness as the personage/image of the Father and Son as as an equally bright image-bearer; as if you have an outer fruit peeling of glowing white/pure light emanating from the your soul illuminated by Light of Christ (see D&C 88), which is metaphorically illuminating the bright white-lighted fruit tree in the Book of Mormon; and thus Christians on the true vine are to equally shine "white"/bright like pure light as if fruit-peelings of holiness while bearing fruit.
So skins is ultimately meant as a metaphor for an outward skin/peeling: that is either dwindling/rotting toward a dark and gloomy countenance as if having scales/chaff of spiritual blindness, or having a bright white-lighted fruit-like peeling/countenance of healthy ripe life, purity, and goodness.
The end message is that of not judging superficial appearances (dark and gloomy countenances) caused by wicked traditions passed on from fathers and mothers to sons and daughters causing "negative generational contagion," but that what really matters is that anyone can instantly become pure/holy through Christ, and one can instantly reverse the generational trajectory by planting the fruit-like seed of Christ (the Logos/Word) and sprout "positive generational contagion" and skin-peelings/countenances like the bright "white"-lighted fruit tree at the beginning of the Book of Mormon.
In short, stop judging and start thinking of one's skins/peeling as either Christ-infused brightness having the immortal-Life-giving nature of Christ, as one "partakes of the divine nature," or think of skins as dwindling/degenerating in unbelief and having chaff/scales of rotting spiritual blindness, as if a "skin of blackness" like on rotting fruit peelings: as the "Life" of the fruit slips away and the fruit skin becomes blackened as it's lifeforce slips away.
So the underlying message of the Book of Mormon regarding "skins" is that like the metaphors in the New Testament of the immortal-Life-giving True Vine and the branches (Christians) bearing "fruit," no matter one's outward appearance, what matters is that everyone is a child of God; and anyone and can come unto Christ and receive His Life-giving Spirit and by following Chris they too can have a shining bright countenance and a demeanor or skin/peeling of goodness.
So I think Joseph is basically "riffing" on the New Testament ideas of Christians being branches on a Vine and bearing fruit, and visions of heavenly beings appearing and glowing "white" signifying holiness and purity; as he transformed these New Testament passages into a message about Native Americans being capable of becoming just as Christian and bright and fruitful as the Protestants of his area.
This is why the Book of Mormon has a message of not judging the outward appearance of others because the true "white skins" is a skin of purity/holiness, an implanted inner white-lighted/glorious personage/image within that has been seeded and formed in the likeness and image of the personages of the Godhead (see Lecture 5 and 7), thus having God's image/personage engraven on your countenance like the outer appearance of ripe and healthy fruit appearing full of "Life." As your inwardly implanted spiritual/pneumatic skin/body (from the seed of Christ) shines through your countenance and good deeds and glorifies "the Father of Lights" (Lecture 2:2).
This is a super short summary of how I see it. This document goes into more detail. By the way there are never-Mormon scholars who have also come to this, or a similar, conclusion.
Gadianton
God

Post by Gadianton »

Note, I am not 100% committed to the theory that the "skins of blackness" was tattoos, but reading Jone's article leads me to think it is a plausible theory.
My fault for an example that was sure to derail. The point is, it doesn't matter if Jones is right. God should have been responsible enough to inspire the translator to interpret it as "ink" or "tattoo", rather than let this and other passages fly in a way that makes them sound trivially from a 19th century white Christian perspective.
Marcus
God

Post by Marcus »

I realized I put this in the wrong thread, so I'm moving it here:
Marcus wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 1:27 pm
...But then I discovered, as you have, social science research showing that religion, and specifically Mormonism, were good for people...
This is an interesting opinion. My opinion is that while some "social science research" may show that some elements of religious participation may have some positive effects in particular aspects of some people's lives, there is also significant social research showing that some elements of religious participation may also have some negative effects in particular aspects of some people's lives.

It's important to understand that the concept of "social science research" is not as, well, "scientific" as some other types of research may be. That's why I am couching my opinion regarding some of that research as just that, an opinion.

Given that this discussion is taking place in this forum, I will just say that I disagree strongly with the generalized conclusion that religion and specifically Mormonism have been shown to be "good for people." Other forums here have had plenty of very good discussion where people have been very specific about this conclusion.

Here's one from quite a few years ago, but in my opinion still extremely relevant to a discussion of the impact of religious participation and religion, in general:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=147259
An excerpt from the OP:
...[We] came into this world in possession of a highly evolved brain encased in a protective skull, and dependent on input from sensory neurons for information about the outside world. This brain can be thought of as a set of neuronal modules that evolved in response to both the social and physical environment in which humans and their ancestors developed over millions of years, and which can still be physically altered by experience during one's lifetime.

The intent here is to show that these brain structures*, or modules, especially the components of the cortex and limbic system can, and often do, work together to generate all of the reported phenomena that religionists attribute to the spirit, or consider to be spiritual.

Listings of these phenomenon, or claimed spiritual manifestations, and the explanations of how they are generated by healthy brains, as well diseased, electromagnetically stimulated, or chemically altered brains, are the subject many hundreds of research papers and any number of books.

Perceived religious experiences arising from ingesting natural products such as DMT or ayahuasca, as well as from electromagnetic stimulation of the brain using devices such as the God helmet, have been subjects of earlier posts and entire threads on MDB. This OP will be mainly focused on the religious or transcendent experiences generated by healthy and diseased brains, without exogenous chemical or electromagnetic stimulation...
If anyone's interested, there was also this more recent (but epic! 107 pages!) thread that discussed some contemporary social science research in this area:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=157279

(Be forewarned, it is not a Celestial forum discussion, being far more rollicking and boisterous. To get back to a question asked by the OP in this forum, however, many people were quite clear about their beliefs, so it's a great resource for getting to know people here.)
Free Ranger
Deacon

Post by Free Ranger »

Gadianton wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 3:29 am
Note, I am not 100% committed to the theory that the "skins of blackness" was tattoos, but reading Jone's article leads me to think it is a plausible theory.
My fault for an example that was sure to derail. The point is, it doesn't matter if Jones is right. God should have been responsible enough to inspire the translator to interpret it as "ink" or "tattoo", rather than let this and other passages fly in a way that makes them sound trivially from a 19th century white Christian perspective.
Right, I agree with you. But just to clarify my position since you are directing your comments to me, I am not a devout Mormon "true believer." So I am arguing from a more humanistic and midrashic perspective, similar to the approach to the Gospels taken by Marcus Borg, John Spong, and Richard B. Hays, etc., in that the degree of "divine intervention" is not part of my thesis, whether direct inspiration or none at all works with my thesis. I am instead focusing on the humanity of Joseph Smith and arguing that perhaps he can actually be commended if we avoid presentism and put him in his historical time and place; and how he seems to be presenting an anti-racist message, which is the view of Peter Coviello who is definetely not a Mormon, see his bio here: https://engl.uic.edu/profiles/coviello-peter/

You also narrowed in on a tiny fragment of my summary with the tattoo option, curious if you have any other input on the rest of my theory so that I can make it better or make corrections?
Free Ranger
Deacon

Post by Free Ranger »

To clarify, I am not defending or supporting any and all forms of religion or spiritual practice, only the non-toxic versions. Here are some videos by atheistic scientists and philosophers arguing the benefits of non-toxic forms of religion or spiritual practice, that combined with other books and articles I have read, changed my mind about the benefits of a heterodox spiritual practice.

Note that in one clip below you have a well known physicist saying he entertains belief in God to reduce stress at times even as an atheist and he knows its not "rational" but he doesn't give a s*** that he does. And Richard Dawkins himself doesn't even give much push back to that.

These are all fairly short clips except the last one which is an atheist speaking to a group of Jews on the benefits of religion even though the speaker is actually part of the Richard Dawkin's group, yet even he recognizes the benefits of non-toxic forms of religion:

https://youtu.be/oldj11NEsc0

https://youtu.be/1igiqYMaUTg

https://youtu.be/HOH4opPFgyY

https://youtu.be/c0_J998UD9s

https://youtu.be/0l5KwuXRsQg

https://youtu.be/thUt0TA7NL4

https://youtu.be/JpfIrg2r_p8

https://youtu.be/8BwGxji6Agw

I actually don't want to derail this thread I started but wanted to respond to something someone else wrote above. So I'm gonna start a new thread and repost this there.
ceeboo
God

Post by ceeboo »

Hey huck
huckelberry wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:24 pm
. Christianity is always in need of renewal, improved understanding and honesty.
Would you be willing to elaborate on this some more?