Is there a New Secular Quasi-Religion, If So Does It Support We Are Innately "Religious" or Ideologically Tribal?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Is their a New Secular Religion, If So Does It Support We Are Innately Religious?

Post by Res Ipsa »

Marcus wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:09 pm
We went for a hike over the weekend, and I took many spectacular pictures of very teeny tiny things. (It wasn't my photography that was spectacular, to be sure, it was the spectacular miracles i was recording!)

It was immensely satisfying, in the middle of a pretty mundane, grotesquely humid, fairly exhausting 2 1/2 hour hike. (With a slight dopamine kick in the middle when we thought we heard a bear. :shock: )

It reminded me of this, from the script Steve Martin wrote for the movie L.A. Story, wherein he shamelessly( :lol: ) cribbed from Shakespeare:
"So there I was jabbering at her about my new job as a serious newsman - about anything at all - but all I could think was wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful, and most wonderful and yet again, wonderful."
From the tiny to the immense, wonderful, wonderful, wonderful.

he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
Gadianton
God

Re: Is their a New Secular Religion, If So Does It Support We Are Innately Religious?

Post by Gadianton »

Free Rider wrote:It would also be helpful if people did not create a straw man of my position. Mentioning Hume is a far cry from a good summary of my position.
My example of YOUR position suffices, but sure, let's let YOU do the talking, not me summarizing:
Free Rider wrote: By the eye roll I take it you took issue with my statement. To clarify what I meant by that statement, it was given in the context of several examples of what I consider "religion making" throughout this entire thread. For example:
Free Rider wrote:> Do you believe that people have Free Will or are we causally Determimed by brain chemistry, genes, and the laws of physics?

If you reject Free Will am "I" actually responsible for causing you to roll your eyes? And are you determinally caused to react without freedom of will? Why roll your eyes if I can do no differently as a causal product of physics and chemistry?
^^^example from Free Rider of religious making. Belief in personal responsibility in the face of physical determinism.
Free Rider wrote:> Is there anything in your worldview or political opinions that does not completely fit into metaphysical naturalism, in other words are you constructing a political view or a morality on more emotion and is more based on the factors of your personality as Jonathan Haidt talks about? Can that construction be grounded only in the physical sciences?
^^^^YOU, Free Rider, saying if we can't GROUND EVERYTHING IN THE WORLD in the physical sciences, then we're religious.
Free Rider wrote:> The Atheist David Hume argued that we can't even know with certainty that the sun is going to come up in the morning, so to a certain degree we are engaging in worldview constructs because we need to get through the day.
Free Rider wrote:All of this is what I meant by "religion making," as I am using the term religion broadly yes.
Including David Hume...no strawman here, bro.

Since nobody can ground their entire worldview into the physical sciences nor solve the problem of induction, then as you say, we're all stuck making religion. Everything anyone ever does is religious -- according to YOU, not a strawman, unless you are a strawman of yourself.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:05 pm

Res Ipsa. that is nice to see. North Cascades I would presume though it is generic enough that it could be another location. I hope you get a chance to enjoy such a location above and away from urban tangles.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:10 am
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:05 pm

Res Ipsa. that is nice to see. North Cascades I would presume though it is generic enough that it could be another location. I hope you get a chance to enjoy such a location above and away from urban tangles.
Thanks, Huck. It's Mt. Pilchuck, one of my favorite hikes. I hiked it on my 60th birthday. I considered going up this year for my 65th, but the hideous road to the trail head is being reconstructed, so I'll have to wait. (I swear -- last time a pothole tried to swallow my car!)
he/him

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Gadianton, I can see your point I think. Free Ranger has some things he is concerned with but has presented with such a broad brush that religion become most anything and everything. At that point the category looses all evaluating use.

I think the drift towards fanaticism he is concerned with is a political process which some individuals are more susceptible to than others . It happens left and right on the extremes. I was thinking that human dependence upon stories for everyday understanding can make an overlap for religion and politics. Or perhaps a similar process for the extremes of both.
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Res Ipsa, being from the other side of the state I had to look up this mountain. It looks like a great hike relatively close at hand to the west side. May you be sure to enjoy it again.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

huckelberry wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:13 am
Res Ipsa, being from the other side of the state I had to look up this mountain. It looks like a great hike relatively close at hand to the west side. May you be sure to enjoy it again.
Thanks. In terms of views, it is the most bang for the buck that I know of. It sits away from any other peak, so the vistas of the Cascades are not obstructed by any other peaks. On a clear day, you can see from Baker to St. Helens.
he/him

Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

To the OP: No.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

""Is their a New Secular Religion, If So Does It Support We Are Innately Religious?"

Sorry to be a spelling jackass, but it's "there" not "their"

To answer your question, I think most humans have a "religious" impulse, but it's more about tribalism and ideology and trying to understand the cave of the unknown. The span of the entire gamut of human personalities from what I can tell. And, of course, I'm just one more of those humans with a point of view. So maybe I'll full of ____.

Peace
Last edited by bill4long on Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Free Ranger
Deacon

Post by Free Ranger »

bill4long wrote:
Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:19 pm
""Is their a New Secular Religion, If So Does It Support We Are Innately Religious?"

Sorry to be a spelling jackass, but it's "there" not "their"

To answer your question, I think most humans have a "religious" impulse, but it's more about tribalism and ideology.

Peace
I made the correction, thanks. I also decided to modify the title and go with Res Ipsa's use of the term "quasi-religion" in his summarization of my query.
Last edited by Free Ranger on Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.