LDS Past Stance Against Christianity

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Moksha
God

LDS Past Stance Against Christianity

Post by Moksha »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:09 am
I watched an evolution among the Mormons I grew up around. When I was a kid they absolutely denied that they were Christians and they asserted that the Book of Mormon was completely true and reliable.
The LDS anger towards Christianity stemmed from the religious officials of the 1893 World’s Parliament of Religions rejecting B.H. Roberts right to speak based on some trifling over a twin relic of barbarism. In response to the pickiness of the Christians, the Brethren cursed them and all they stood for and made the symbol of the cross verboten in the land of Zion Utah. B.H. Roberts embodied the pinnacle of LDS intellectualism and God's delegation endured a harrowing train ride all the way to Chicago, but they were being denied the chance to proclaim the everlasting Gospel to the world because of some prejudice against the Principle, yet so-called "people of color" were given honor on the speaking dais. The Brethren would not be forgiving of this slight.

Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Re: LDS Past Stance Against Christianity

Post by Moksha »

BH Roberts was responsible for a number of watershed moments within Mormonism, such as when he wanted to present a report to the Brethren on historical problems within the Church. The Brethren voted to table that report indefinitely by placing their hands on their ears, eyes, and mouths (leading to the saying, "Hear no truth, see no truth, speak no truth").

Shannon Caldwell Montez has reported about the Secret Mormon Meetings of 1922 on multi episodes of Mormon Stories and Gospel Tangents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivE1b5KLuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApMZ0A3An8
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:11 am
BH Roberts was responsible for a number of watershed moments within Mormonism, such as when he wanted to present a report to the Brethren on historical problems within the Church. The Brethren voted to table that report indefinitely by placing their hands on their ears, eyes, and mouths (leading to the saying, "Hear no truth, see no truth, speak no truth").

Shannon Caldwell Montez has reported about the Secret Mormon Meetings of 1922 on multi episodes of Mormon Stories and Gospel Tangents.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HivE1b5KLuc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BApMZ0A3An8
B.H. Roberts is an interesting character in Mormonism.
Bill_Billiams
Star B

Post by Bill_Billiams »

Moksha wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:10 am
Bill_Billiams wrote:
Sun Jul 16, 2023 10:09 am
I watched an evolution among the Mormons I grew up around. When I was a kid they absolutely denied that they were Christians and they asserted that the Book of Mormon was completely true and reliable.
The LDS anger towards Christianity stemmed from the religious officials of the 1893 World’s Parliament of Religions rejecting B.H. Roberts right to speak based on some trifling over a twin relic of barbarism. In response to the pickiness of the Christians, the Brethren cursed them and all they stood for and made the symbol of the cross verboten in the land of Zion Utah. B.H. Roberts embodied the pinnacle of LDS intellectualism and God's delegation endured a harrowing train ride all the way to Chicago, but they were being denied the chance to proclaim the everlasting Gospel to the world because of some prejudice against the Principle, yet so-called "people of color" were given honor on the speaking dais. The Brethren would not be forgiving of this slight.

I read that the LDS weren't invited? Did they just go anyway?
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Bill_Billiams wrote:
Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:51 am
I read that the LDS weren't invited? Did they just go anyway?
Parliament of Religions gained extraordinary support in a number of spiritual communities, including the non-polygamy-practicing Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Community of Christ since 2001)

The LDS Church, however, was the single American religious group that was completely denied the promised hospitality from the beginning. Barrows’s advisory board never mailed a single invitation to Latter-day Saint leaders in Utah.

Nevertheless, after reading about the proposed religious congress in a newspaper, Elder Brigham H. Roberts, a member of the First Council of the Seventy and one of the Church’s most capable and vocal apologists, saw a unique public relations opportunity in Chicago.

https://ensignpeakfoundation.org/wp-con ... igions.pdf
Prior to this snub, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir participated in the Chicago Exhibition's Music Chorus Festival at the famed Welsh Choir's invitation. The Church Presidency was on hand for that.

Those so-called "Protestants" thought themselves too righteous for a twin relic of barbarism, beyond just listening to the marvelous Tabernacle Choir.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

"World’s Parliament of Religions"

Kinda makes me wonder why the True Church leaders would care about being accepted by all those guys whom the Mormon god pronounced as teaching abominations. Did Jesus try to gain favor from the Jewish rulers and become a member of their Yahweh Priesthood Club?

Kinda reminds me of Kirk in the that Star Trek movie when asking a question of the pretend God, "what does God need with a starship?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkT1-N0VqUc

What do the Mormon pretend prophets need with the world's religious leaders?

The question answers itself.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

bill4long wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:02 am
What do the Mormon pretend prophets need with the world's religious leaders?
Acceptance? Camaraderie? Being one in the body of Christ? Joining together to perform good works? Writing Amicus Curiae briefs together to limit the rights of gays?

BH Roberts saw some wisdom in this action.
bbbbbbb
Nursery

Post by bbbbbbb »

Curiously, there was not a single Amish participant at the 1893 World Congress of Religions. I rather think that they were not in the remotest bit interested in mingling with the "English" there.
bill4long
2nd Counselor

Post by bill4long »

bbbbbbb wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 4:31 am
Curiously, there was not a single Amish participant at the 1893 World Congress of Religions. I rather think that they were not in the remotest bit interested in mingling with the "English" there.
Another thing that is perhaps noteworthy is that God Almighty didn't show up either... at least as far as I can tell.
The views and opinions expressed by Bill4Long could be wrong and are subject to change at any time. Viewer discretion is advised.
bbbbbbb
Nursery

Post by bbbbbbb »

I agree completely. ;)