River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Limnor
Nursery

Re: River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

Post by Limnor »

Joseph is Jacom, Mahah is Martin Harris, Orihah is Oliver, though Gilgah is mysterious to me.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

And so on. If you stick with the consistency that Joseph wrote himself into the book, why limit it to him alone?
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Kind of simple really. Maybe too simple.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:05 am
Pretty interesting that Parley was in Ohio.

Again, Let us see what the good book says:

Wikipedia wrote:The life of Joseph Smith, Jr. from 1831 to 1837, when he was 26–32 years old, covers the period of time from when Smith moved with his family to Kirtland, Ohio, in 1831, until he left Ohio for Missouri early in early January 1838. By 1831, Smith had already translated the Book of Mormon, and established the Latter Day Saint movement.

After receiving what Smith described as revelations, Smith and his wife Emma Hale Smith moved to Kirtland, Ohio, early in 1831, arriving about February 3.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Sure, wikipedia is solid.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Why did Joseph move to Kirtland?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:15 am
Sure, wikipedia is solid.

It is.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:24 am
Why did Joseph move to Kirtland?

He pretty much claimed to do everything based on revelation from God.

D&C Introduction wrote:These sacred revelations were received in answer to prayer, in times of need, and came out of real-life situations involving real people. The Prophet and his associates sought for divine guidance, and these revelations certify that they received it. In the revelations, one sees the restoration and unfolding of the gospel of Jesus Christ and the ushering in of the dispensation of the fulness of times. The westward movement of the Church from New York and Pennsylvania to Ohio, to Missouri, to Illinois, and finally to the Great Basin of western America and the mighty struggles of the Saints in attempting to build Zion on the earth in modern times are also shown forth in these revelations.

Smith was busy translating the Old Testament Bible in Fayette New York and received direction that it was time to split to Ohio.

D&C 37:1 (Fayette, New York, December 1830) wrote:1 Behold, I say unto you that it is not expedient in me that ye should  translate any more until ye shall go to the Ohio, and this because of the enemy and for your sakes.
3 And again, a commandment I give unto the church, that it is expedient in me that they should assemble together at the Ohio, against the time that my servant Oliver Cowdery shall return unto them.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:03 am
Frankly I have been trying to figure out how Joseph came up with the number of dead (12532). There is a burial mound near Kirtland that may have served to inform that number.

I’ve tried to figure it out too but haven’t had any luck connecting this number to a known historical source in which he may have copied as he was so wont to do in other circumstances. I’ve pretty much summed it up as a number he came up with on the top of his head but would like to think the twelve thousand may have been biblically influenced.

I have no doubt in my mind that the 1,005 was certainly taken from the Bible. But not a lot of people around here see it that way. How about you?
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 2:12 am
Joseph is Jacom, Mahah is Martin Harris, Orihah is Oliver, though Gilgah is mysterious to me.

And:

1. Laman is Laman
2. Lemuel is Lemuel
3. Sam is Sam
4. Nephi is Nephi

The (4) four sons of Lehi.

Do you have an opinion on the 1,005, Limnor?