River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Limnor
Nursery

Re: River Sidon War and Book of Mormon Blooper

Post by Limnor »

Frankly I have been trying to figure out how Joseph came up with the number of dead (12532). There is a burial mound near Kirtland that may have served to inform that number.

Perhaps Joseph visited that mound and picked a random number buried there.

The trouble is, theories such as this are akin to trying to determine where Peter Pan’s Neverland existed. Fictional works that have hints of actual events are difficult to resolve.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:54 am
Well, I believe an explanation should be consistent. I think it more likely that Joseph visited Kirtland and wrote about his experience than using Delmarva as a source.

I don’t recall Joseph ever going to Ohio prior to translating and publishing the Book of Mormon. His early travels began in Harmony Pennsylvania in 1826 where he worked and met his wife, Emma. The Susquehanna River certainly had an influence on him.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

I think more accurately it might be said that there is no evidence Joseph went to Kirtland. I’ve toyed with Oliver Cowdert or Parley P Pratt being the Alma of the story.

Evidence is nonexistent which makes it impossible to confirm, I acknowledge that.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 am
I think more accurately it might be said that there is no evidence Joseph went to Kirtland. I’ve toyed with Oliver Cowdert or Parley P Pratt being the Alma of the story.

Evidence is nonexistent which makes it impossible to confirm, I acknowledge that.

Smith first met Cowdery after he lost the 116 page manuscript and then resumed translation at about the point Alma was introduced. Smith first met the Pratts after the Book of Mormon was published.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Of course, I’ve been known to be wrong from time to time. But not very often!
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Shulem wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:19 am
Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:13 am

Smith first met Cowdery after he lost the 116 page manuscript and then resumed translation at about the point Alma was introduced. Smith first met the Pratts after the Book of Mormon was published.
So we have been told. Is that the truth? I remain skeptical.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:30 am
So we have been told. Is that the truth? I remain skeptical.

Well, let’s see what Wikipedia says:

Wikipedia wrote:Parley P. Pratt

Pratt was born in Burlington, New York, to Jared Pratt (1769–1839) and his wife, Charity Dickinson (1776–1849), a descendant of Anne Hutchinson. He married Thankful Halsey in Canaan, New York, on September 9, 1827.

The young couple migrated west, where they settled near Cleveland, Ohio, where Pratt purchased land and constructed a home. In Ohio, Pratt became a member of the Reformed Baptist Society, also called "Disciples of Christ", influenced by the preaching of Sidney Rigdon. Pratt soon left his property to take up the ministry as a profession.

While traveling to visit family in western New York, Pratt read a copy of the Book of Mormon owned by a Baptist deacon. Convinced of its authenticity, he traveled to Palmyra, and spoke to Hyrum Smith. Pratt was baptized in Seneca Lake by Oliver Cowdery on or about September 1, 1830, formally joining the church. He was also ordained to the office of elder. Continuing on to his family's home, he introduced his younger brother, Orson Pratt, to Mormonism and baptized him on September 19, 1830.
Wikipedia wrote:Oliver Cowdery

At age 20), Cowdery left Vermont for upstate New York, where his older brothers had settled. He clerked at a store for just over two years and in 1829 became a school teacher in Manchester. Cowdery lodged with different families in the area, including that of Joseph Smith, Sr., who was said to have provided Cowdery with additional information about the golden plates of which Cowdery said he had heard "from all quarters."

Cowdery met Joseph Smith, Jr. on April 5, 1829—a year and a day before the official founding of the Church of Christ—and heard from him how he had received golden plates containing ancient reformed Egyptian writings. Cowdery told Smith that he had seen the golden plates in a vision before the two had met.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Limnor wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 12:18 am
I’m fascinated with the repeated mention of four persons. Sons of Mosiah and etc.

Indeed, there seems to be a habit of “four.”

Mosiah 9:5 wrote:And it came to pass that I went again with four of my men into the city, in unto the king, that I might know of the disposition of the king, and that I might know if I might go in with my people and possess the land in peace.
Mosiah 27:34 wrote:And four of them were the sons of Mosiah; and their names were Ammon, and Aaron, and Omner, and Himni; these were the names of the sons of Mosiah.
Ether 6:14 wrote:And Jared had four sons; and they were called Jacom, and Gilgah, and Mahah, and Orihah.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Pretty interesting that Parley was in Ohio.
Limnor
Nursery

Post by Limnor »

Yeah I think Ammon is Joseph, Aaron is Parley, Omner is Oliver, and Himni is either Hyrum or Martin Harris.

But it doesn’t really matter except in the consideration of the book as a literary object.