Mormon Wealth: A Matter of Money

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Mormon Wealth: A Matter of Money

Post by NRnowlinMA »

How has the Mormon LDS Church Corporation amassed over 600 billion dollars since the advent of the 20th Century, mainly since around 1955? Since that time, an average of 50,000 fulltime Mormon agents, called missionaries, have been going throughout the world, mainly the USA, misrepresenting Mormon theology, doctrine, and history. recruiting an average of 200,000 people, mainly lukewarm Christians to Mormonism. Like I have said in my first previous post, the deception created by a presentation of five standardized lectures, called discussions, by these young Mormon agents causes people who know nothing about Mormon theology, doctrine, and history to think that Mormonism is basically Christian, while most of the truthful factual information about Mormon basic theology is not revealed by these Mormon missionary agents. But yes, these thousands of young men and women are on a fulltime mission to recruit and baptize as many tithe payers as they possibly can. After deluding a rational person into believing that Joseph Smith Jr. was a prophet and that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, these Mormon agents pursue getting these thousands of people to commit to following the commandments of the Mormon Church, one of which is to tithe, or pay to the LDS Church, a tenth of their yearly income and to abstain completely from coffee, tea, tobacco, controlled substances, and alcohol. As I came to find out from being a Mormon stake missionary from 1972 until the year 2000, the Mormon agent missionaries would not baptize an adult who would not commit to tithing and to the Mormon word of wisdom (abstinence to the above-mentioned substances.) During the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, when Internet information about Mormonism was scarce, the greatest recruiting of ignorant Christians to Mormonism occurred. The only way a person had to find out the true facts about Mormonism was to go to public and university libraries, and during the 1970s, 80s, and 90s, Mormon agent missionaries had been instructed to go into these libraries and to covertly smuggle the anti-Mormon books out of the libraries in order to destroy them. Or the missionaries around the USA would get library cards. check out the books, destroy them and then pay the cost of the books with church funds. When only 40 percent of the adults in the USA had personal computers and access to the Internet, between 1995 and 2000, Mormon missionary yearly recruitment decreased 30 percent.

Now I want you to realize why the Mormon Church Corporation maintains a well-financed fulltime missionary program year-end and year-out. Last year, 2022, the Mormon missionary recruitment was 190,000 souls throughout the world, 120,000 just in the USA and Canada. The average per capita income of these adult men and women was $70,000/year. 95 percent of these baptized Mormon recruits commit themselves to paying a full tithe of the income and eagerly give $7,000/year to the Mormon Church Corporation for an average of seven years before these people come to a knowledge and understanding of the Mormon theology, doctrine, and history they were not told prior to their baptism. 190,000 recruits x $7,000 = 1,330,000,000/year grossed by the Mormon Church Corporation. Of course, during those seven years of faithful tithing the various other contributions requested by the Mormon Church Corporation includes over $300 more per adult person each month. If you multiply 1.3 billion dollars by 30 years, you have a grand sum of 39.9 billion dollars in three decades time. So, investing 5 million dollars/year into a fulltime missionary program is chickenfeed compared to the harvested yearly ongoing figure, which amounts over a period of seven years to over 100 billion dollars of tax-free money for approximately 800,000 Mormon recruits over a period of 7 years. Currently there are approximately only 5 million totally active Mormons, called true-blue Mormons, in the world. The 15 million Mormon population claimed by Mormon Church Corporation is a misnomer, since over 300,000 recorded adult Mormons leave the Mormon Church by either total inactivity or by demanding that their names be stricken from the Mormon records. Yet, the Mormon Church Corporation combines its money received in tithing with its invested monies obtained through the stocks, bonds, and commercial investments, so, the government does not know where the Mormon Church Corporation gets its revenue. Much like the Federal Reserve, the federal government has never audited Mormon Church Corporation finances. A federal court case in the Salt Lake City Federal District Court alleging racketeering and fraud against the Mormon Church Corporation has unveiled the illegal fraudulent use of Mormon tithing monies for commercial purposes and has exposed the tip of a behemoth fraudulent iceberg that has been exposed for over three decades. The Mormon Church Corporation tells lies and material misrepresentations to gullible people every year to defraud them into joining the Mormon Church and to give that church their money. Filthy lucre is all about what the Mormon Church Corporation seeks to acquire at the expense of human souls.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Re: Mormon Wealth: A Matter of Money

Post by yellowstone123 »

Christian scripture says you cannot serve God and money. Personally, I think the church can run its operations from interest on 150 billion plus. White men love the real estate. White women love research hospitals since their friends suffer from cancers white males do not.

Recently I saw on YouTube on Ensign University. Notice it’s not a medical clinic in a poor neighborhood.

Remember, reports that Jesus read from the Isaiah scroll seeking the bind, captive and poor. When I talk about poor in the first century I picture those who beg and have no clothing. They were truly poor.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I don't think the missionary program is the profit center you make it out to be.
NRnowlinMA wrote:
Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 pm
Now I want you to realize why the Mormon Church Corporation maintains a well-financed fulltime missionary program year-end and year-out. Last year, 2022, the Mormon missionary recruitment was 190,000 souls throughout the world, 120,000 just in the USA and Canada.
According to the 2022 Statistical Report, the LDS church added 300,000 new people joined the LDS church to its official total: about 210K converts and 90K children of record.

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... conference

About 65% of the total increase came from ten countries:

United States - 41,009 - 20.8%
Philippines - 20,209 - 10.3%
Brazil - 16,283 - 8.3%
Democratic Republic of the Congo - 13,726 - 7.0%
Nigeria - 9,953 - 5.1%
Mexico - 9,424 - 4.8%
Peru - 5,530 - 2.8%
Ghana - 5,416 - 2.7%
Bolivia - 3,699 - 1.9%
Ecuador - 3,453 - 1.8%

http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/202 ... rship.html

These are total increases, meaning they include both convert baptisms and children of record. So your figure of 120,000 convert baptisms for the U.S, and Canada overstates the actual total by at least 200%.
NRnowlinMA wrote:The average per capita income of these adult men and women was $70,000/year.
Convert baptisms include children as young as eight years old, so it is not correct to describe each and every convert as an adult man or woman. I'm not sure what you are counting as average per-capita income, but if we are trying to estimate tithing payments, then nominal GDP per capita is close to the figure you cite for the U.S. and Canada. I'll use the World Bank figures listed in Wikipedia, as they are pretty complete and don't seem to include data from 2023.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_c ... per_capita

United States: 41K new members; $76K per capita GDP
Philippines: 20K new members; $3500 per capita GDP
Brazil: 16K new members; $9000 per capita GDP
DR Congo: 13K new members; $600 per capita GDP
Nigeria: 10K new members: $2000 per capita GDP
Mexico: 9K new members: $11K per capita GDP
Peru: 5.5K new members; $7K per capita GDP
Ghana: 5.5K new members; $2K
Bolivia: 3.5K new members; $4K
Ecuador: 3.5K; 6k

Given that new members in the U.S. are much more likely to result from new children of record than in other areas, the vast majority of convert baptisms come from countries with income around 10% of that in the U.S. And that's before taking the distribution of income within countries into account.
NRnowlinMA wrote: percent of these baptized Mormon recruits commit themselves to paying a full tithe of the income and eagerly give $7,000/year to the Mormon Church Corporation for an average of seven years before these people come to a knowledge and understanding of the Mormon theology, doctrine, and history they were not told prior to their baptism.
I don't know where you got your seven years figure from, but it seems to understate the well-known convert retention problem the LDS church has faced for decades.
Sociologist Armand Mauss stated that "75 percent of foreign [LDS] converts are not attending church within a year of conversion. In the United States, 50 percent of the converts fail to attend after a year."[52] This postbaptismal attrition is heavily front-loaded. Elder Dallin H. Oaks noted that "among those converts who fall away, attrition is sharpest in the two months after baptism,"[53] and missionaries report being told in the MTC that up to 80 percent of inactivity occurs within two months of baptism. In some parts of Latin America, 30 to 40 percent of new converts do not even return to church after baptism to be confirmed.[54] In contrast, Adventist News Network reported in 2001 that worldwide Seventh-day Adventist member retention rates had fallen from 81 percent in previous years to a still very impressive 78 percent at present.
https://www.cumorah.com/articles/lawOfT ... 7#ftn.id52

These comments were made around 20 years ago, and given the growth trends over that period in the LDS church's official figures, the convert retention problem hasn't gotten better.

As with other Christian denominations, growth is expected primarily in Sub-Saharan Africa, where people are very poor.

Finally, growth isn't costless. Not only do we have to deduct the direct cost of the missionary program, we have to deduct the additional costs that growth brings, both capital and operating.
NRnowlinMA wrote: recruits x $7,000 = 1,330,000,000/year grossed by the Mormon Church Corporation. Of course, during those seven years of faithful tithing the various other contributions requested by the Mormon Church Corporation includes over $300 more per adult person each month. If you multiply 1.3 billion dollars by 30 years, you have a grand sum of 39.9 billion dollars in three decades time. So, investing 5 million dollars/year into a fulltime missionary program is chickenfeed compared to the harvested yearly ongoing figure, which amounts over a period of seven years to over 100 billion dollars of tax-free money for approximately 800,000 Mormon recruits over a period of 7 years. Currently there are approximately only 5 million totally active Mormons, called true-blue Mormons, in the world. The 15 million Mormon population claimed by Mormon Church Corporation is a misnomer, since over 300,000 recorded adult Mormons leave the Mormon Church by either total inactivity or by demanding that their names be stricken from the Mormon records. Yet, the Mormon Church Corporation combines its money received in tithing with its invested monies obtained through the stocks, bonds, and commercial investments, so, the government does not know where the Mormon Church Corporation gets its revenue. Much like the Federal Reserve, the federal government has never audited Mormon Church Corporation finances. A federal court case in the Salt Lake City Federal District Court alleging racketeering and fraud against the Mormon Church Corporation has unveiled the illegal fraudulent use of Mormon tithing monies for commercial purposes and has exposed the tip of a behemoth fraudulent iceberg that has been exposed for over three decades. The Mormon Church Corporation tells lies and material misrepresentations to gullible people every year to defraud them into joining the Mormon Church and to give that church their money. Filthy lucre is all about what the Mormon Church Corporation seeks to acquire at the expense of human souls.
I'm assuming that you are referring to the Huntsman case. That's a civil case that involves the use of income from invested surplus tithing for the City Creek Mall and to prop up Beneficial Life. The District Court dismissed the case as a matter of law on summary judgment. The Ninth Circuit reversed, 2-1, the dismissal of the City Creek claim. It affirmed 3-0 the dismissal of the Beneficial Life Claim. The suit has nothing to do with the legality of the use of funds, but with whether LDS church leaders made misleading statements about which funds were used. If the Court of Appeals ruling stands, the case will be sent back to the trial court to let a jury decide the factual issues of whether the statements were misleading and whether Huntsman actually relied on them. However, the LDS church has filed a motion for en banc review by the Ninth Circuit, which means review by a larger panel of appellate judges. The 9th Circuit did not hold that the LDS church violated the law or committed fraud or made material misrepresentations. Unless the panel is reversed by an en banc panel or by the U.S. Supreme Court, a jury will make that decision.

Here's the motion for en banc review. https://bycommonconsent.files.wordpress ... on__81.pdf

I don't think that the missionary program is a giant cash machine. I think it's main function is retention of members as they transition to adulthood. That doesn't change the fact that the Corporation of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has, in my opinion, accumulated an obscene amount of wealth on the backs of its members.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

The average 1.9-million-dollar yearly investment of the Mormon Church corporation is a minor investment compared with the large dividends grossed by new recruitment tithing. I have heard several mission presidents over the past 50 years call investigators potential tithe payers, and baptized investigators committed tithe payers. A standard 80 percent of the yearly new Mormon converts from the fulltime missionary program pay a full tithe for an average of seven years, and an average of 170,000 new converts result from each year of fulltime missionary activity.

Billions of dollars result cumulatively from new convert tithe paying over a period of seven years. Seven billion dollars invested in commercial stocks and enterprise can gross nearly 1 billion dollars every two years. But you also must bear in mind that four other contributions are encouraged by SLC for all ward members to pay: 1, missionary fund, 2, chapel fund, 3, temple fund, and a category called general needs. All of these contributions are paid to the ward bishops, and the only fund that is retained and deposited by the local wards and not sent to SLC is the fast-offering fund.

So, the Mormon Church can use the accumulated tithing and contribution money for whatever purpose it wants, and, like I've said, the IRS has never audited Mormon Church corporation finances. So, SLC can use a large percentage of the general tithing fund for commercial purposes, and no one knows the difference. This is how the Mormon Church can easily be worth actually more than 7 billion dollars, with its cash holdings, property, and commercial investments all over the USA and the world. Remember that opulent Mormons such as J. Williard Marriott, the Romneys, Osmonds, etc. are known as "full-tithe payers" and the top-25 percent of the wealthiest Mormons abide as fully obedient to the Mormon temple "law of consecration" which temple-worthy Mormons swear to uphold, to regard the upbuilding of the Mormon Church as the most important money matter in life.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

The current federal class-action suit against the Mormon LDS Church Corporation in the 9th Federal District in the federal district court in SLC. the Gaddy case, has been approved to proceed: "Gaddy (LDS) Proposed Class Action Case Status - as of 03-28-2023
return | first page >>Judge Shelby has ruled on the Church’s motion to dismiss our Second Amendment Complaint. He has dismissed it in its entirety, with prejudice. You can request a copy of the ruling by clicking here.
We will appeal the issue of whether a Church can raise the First Amendment as a defense to representations by their top leaders, those who crafted the representations, when those leaders do not sincerely believe the representations which they made. The representations will include how tithing is used. The appeal is initially to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.
We will continue to post updates on this website." This is an update by Attorney Kay Burningham https://clients.kayburningham.com/?q=al ... 11&u=guest

Criminal fraud and racketeering are the primary issues in this federal class-action lawsuit, with over a half-million plaintiffs. Are the hundreds of thousands of investigators systematically contacted by fulltime Mormon missionaries deliberately defrauded on a regular basis through the misrepresentations and representations of those fulltime missionaries? The primary evidence against the Mormon Church is based upon the heretical theology contained in "Lesson 21-Man May Become Like God," from the 1984 Melchizedek Priesthood Personal Study Guide, "Seek These Commandments." "Lesson 21" was designed in 1983 to be taught to all prospective elders, or those adult men in elders quorum groups who were recently baptized, but not ordained to the office of elder to prepare them for the Mormon temple rite.

Yet, if "Lesson 21-Man May Become Like God" is read verbatim today by fulltime missionaries to unbaptized investigator men and women, the Christian-based investigators will adamantly refuse to be baptized, and will, most likely, ask the Mormons to leave their homes. Why? The Holy Spirit will bear witness to any person desiring to know if Mormonism is based upon the true gospel of grace of Jesus Christ. Since I have been circulating "Lesson 21" on the Internet, an increased awareness of polytheistic Mormon theology has been achieved among the general Christian community. Yet, hundreds of thousands of lukewarm Christians still are unaware of the blasphemous heretic doctrines of Mormonism obscured through fraudulent misrepresentation during the fraudulent discussions given by the fulltime Mormon missionaries. I have posted the PDF link to "Lesson 21" on this forum board, but I will happily do it again in this context: http://www.mormonthink.com/files/Lesson ... 201984.pdf

Mormonism, Scientology, the Jehovah's Witnesses, the Moonies, and all the phony derivatives of these blasphemous cults that seek to deceive Christians through vain philosophy and false scripture into believing that faith in the grace of Jesus holy grace is not sufficient to save a person from sin, are not of God. Their religion is deception. They are masters of deceit and fraud.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

The Gaddy case is not a class action. No class has been certified. The case never reached the point of class certification because it was dismissed for failure to state a claim on which relief could be granted. The three named plaintiffs amended the complaint twice, but could not avoid a dismissal as a matter of law.

The case is now on appeal with the 10th Circuit. Appellants’ Brian is due 11/27.

The case is fundamentally flawed because it violates the First Amendment. To the extent it copied the Huntsman claims, the dismissal of those claims may be reversed. But the theory behind the lawsuit — that challenging facts on which religious beliefs are based does not violate the church autonomy doctrine is misguided and has been from the start.
he/him

NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

Res Ipsa, the thing speaks, is sadly misinformed about the Gaddy Case and is attempting to misinform the readers of DiscussMormonism.com. Please note the following: "Gaddy (LDS) Proposed Class Action Case Status" - as of 03-28-2023
return | first page >>

Judge Shelby has ruled on the Church’s motion to dismiss our Second Amendment Complaint. He has dismissed it in its entirety, with prejudice. You can request a copy of the ruling by clicking here.

We will appeal the issue of whether a Church can raise the First Amendment as a defense to representations by their top leaders, those who crafted the representations, when those leaders do not sincerely believe the representations which they made. The representations will include how tithing is used.

The appeal is initially to the Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals.

We will continue to post updates on this website.

I know Kay Burningham personally and as a certified ABA-approved paralegal have attempted to assist her in the class-action litigation. She has declined my help. Dr. Ken Clark, who is an expert in Mormon "lying for the Lord" will probably be an expert witness for the plaintiffs when the case goes to trial. There are going to be numerous expert witnesses during the trial. I think that Judge Shelby was significantly biased and working for the Mormon Church in ruling a violation of the First Amendment. NO religious organization has license to deliberately and fraudulently deceive people into joining it with a theology and history that its executive officer, apostles and prophets, don't even believe. The Mormon Church is a racketeering group of gangsters who have systematically changed and hidden its real polytheistic theology, doctrine, and history to dupe gullible Christians into believing it is Christian. This will be established in the federal district court appeal in the 10th Circuit. It is much like an insurance company going door-to-door selling fraudulent insurance policies through the dissemination of policy information the is totally misrepresented. Much credit for this information about truth needs to be given to Swede Han Mattsson who told the truth about Mormon fraudulent misrepresentation in the New York Times and on Mormon podcasts with John Dehlin. Mattsson forced the Mormon corporation go on the defensive and publish partial truth about Mormon theology and history.

The plaintiffs in the Gaddy Case comprise about 500,000 former tithe-paying Mormons who were ripped-off by the Mormon corporation and their money used for commercial purposes to bolster the finances of the Mormon corporation. I tend to think Res Ipsa is a secret Mormon apologist who has a forked tongue.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I’m not surprised that Kay turned down your help. You clearly don’t understand the difference between a putative class action and a class action. Until a class is certified, the only plaintiffs are those with names in the caption.

Also, you aren’t an ABA approved paralegal. You might have graduated from an ABA approved paralegal program. Although your lack of understanding of how class actions work and first amendment law makes me wonder.

You do have the intolerant Christian thing down pat.
he/him

NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

Res Ipsa is obviously a Dan Peterson/Muhlstein approved apologist for the Mormon Church Corporation, probably a BYU alumnus. I have stated the true facts and very soon the Gaddy Class-Action lawsuit will go to trial in the 10th Circuit. Here is my LinkedIn CV: https://www.linkedin.com/in/norton-r-nowlin-a69b8210/
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

Kay Burningham's book, "An American Fraud. . ." is a fascinatingly good read and is based on the absolute truth about Mormonism. Many jurists have read and commented on her allegations about Mormonism, and the end-times are upon the world. Mormonism and Islam are, I believe, prophesied in the New Testament by the Apostle Paul in his epistle to the Galatians, Galatians 1:1-10. Mormonism has been changing its sordid story since 1830, but Islam has remained pretty consistent. Both heresies to Christianity claim that their capstone scriptures were brought by angles to the earth, Islam with its Gabriel and Mormonism with its Moroni. Paul stated that, "though an angel from heaven preach any other gospel than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed." And those demonic angels, not from heaven, gave their wares to the false demonic prophets Mohammed and Joseph Smith, Jr. There are only two false religions in the world today that claim angels as the source of their scripture, Islam and Mormonism, and both have captured many souls and placed them in bondage to the devil. Paul's end-time prophesies in 1 and 2 Timothy, and in Thessalonians point to Christ Jesus overcoming the devil and rapturing and saving his church, the saved of Christ, from the tribulation. I pray that Res Ipsa and all other cultists will read Kay Burningham's book and the scriptures of the Holy Bible and realize that God almighty will fulfill what has been prophesied about the condemnation of the devil's works.