Mormon Wealth: A Matter of Money

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Res Ipsa
God

Re: Mormon Wealth: A Matter of Money

Post by Res Ipsa »

The full Godwin.

What you need to realize is that the law isn’t what you wish it to be.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

The U.S. Constitution was not written by the Framers to promote and allow fraud through deliberate religious deception, but rather to promote truth and justice in the truthful practice of Judeo-Christian religion. If the Mormons want to truthful and just in their efforts to gain converts to their theology, then let them openly declare that same theology as Joe Smith, Jr., the arch-deceiver, declared it in his theological proclamations, and as his successors in the Salt Lake Valley Mormon theocracy empire, Brigham Young, et al, declared it before the federal government invaded the Salt Lake City bastion of Mormonism and before Utah became a state. Let the Christian, and non-Christian, people in the USA and around the world hear the truth proclaimed and let them choose after knowing all the facts whether to become Mormons.

Let the truth be openly declared and allow all the Christian people to know exactly the content of Mormon theology. What the Mormon corporation has done, and the exemption from fraud culpability that it claims is tantamount to a professional assassin and his boss claiming freedom from prosecution for murder for killing a person who has slain thousands of innocent people, saying, "the federal code for murder does do apply to me, because I murdered someone who needed to be killed." Or perhaps a fraudulent insurance company registered as an organized church going from house-to-house persuading people to pay a 10th of their income every year to be placed on a roster to be beamed up to nirvana in a distant future year, like 2199. What difference is there between what the Mormon missionaries don't tell Christian investigators about true Mormon theology and what that insurance company church is promising unwitting gullible people for a fee? Does the First Amendment of the Bill of Rights allow such a fraudulent church to operate? One must recall that when the Mormon Church was disfranchised by the federal government, the sum of their religious practices, including polygamy, was declared illicit and wrong. When did the federal government reverse its decision, that Mormon theology was bogus and false? All the Mormons did when Utah became a state was to take their practices underground in their belief and practice of the same theology that was practiced by Joseph Smith, Jr. in Nauvoo, Illinois and Brigham Young, and his successors in the Salt Lake Valley Mormon theocracy.

The federal laws against religious fraud have not changed. These laws have been codified and must again be applied justly and properly as they once were.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

When I was a stake missionary elder of the Mormon corporation in Philadelphia, in September 1973, I was at a social function with the Pennsylvania Mission president and several of his missionaries when I openly asked him why the investigators to Mormonism weren't told by the missionaries about the exact theology taught by Joseph Smith, Jr. in 1844 in the King Follett Discourse. I recall him looking very seriously at me and saying that such impertinent questions should not be asked by young elders. I was 22 at the time and the mission president must have been over 55. The president then said that "investigators are not ready to be told about the entire theology of the restored gospel." He followed that by saying, "if investigator Christians were told the entire body of LDS theology, they would refuse to be baptized. That is why you missionaries are told to stick to the discussions." That made me recall the history of what was told to the French people by Mormon missionaries in 1868. Mormon apostle, and future Mormon prophet, John Taylor openly lied to the French people when he publicly told them that he was a monogamist and had only one wife and deplored polygamy, when, in fact, Taylor had 12 wives in the Salt Lake Valley in Utah. Mormons even created a bogus section in the doctrines section of the "Lectures on Faith stating that the LDS Church refuted polygamy and believed it to vile and sinful. Brigham Young used copies of this bogus Mormon scripture for European missionary purposes, and later had the bogus section removed.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

In 1978, as a 17 year old there was a place called Melodyland that was right across the street from Disneyland. It was a big tent, I think more steel and cement. People were getting saved there and had a bumper sticker in the style of a fish saying saved. They had a bookstore and I went in and saw two books on Mormonism. One was Walter Martin’s Kingdom of the Cults, the other was more put together not in book form but put together by hand. It was called Mormonism -Shadows of reality. I felt so bad looking through that one. If you started to read stuff like that a young man would be ostracized, losing the friends he had grown up with. You chose the community.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.
NRnowlinMA
Nursery

Post by NRnowlinMA »

That book that you examined was "Mormonism: Shadow or Reality," and it was written by two of my friends, Gerald and Sandra Tanner, who operated the Utah Lighthouse Ministry in SLC. I have also met Dr. Walter Martin and since his death, his book "Kingdom of the Cults" has been revised and updated by his son. Both books contain the true facts about Mormon theology, doctrine, and history. The efforts of Gerald and Sandra Tanner has left a legacy of truth in their efforts to show the demonic effects of Mormon propaganda. If you have read "Mormonism: Shadow or Reality," you will note that it falls in-line with "The CES Letter" written by Jeremy Runnells. Since the closing of the Utah Lighthouse Ministry, the effect of the Tanner's publications has been greatly magnified in their influence on the de-expansion of Mormonism worldwide. I encourage every reader of and contributor to DiscussMormonism.com to purchase both of aforementioned books off the Internet.
yellowstone123
1st Counselor

Post by yellowstone123 »

NRnowlinMA wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:51 am
That book that you examined was "Mormonism: Shadow or Reality," and it was written by two of my friends, Gerald and Sandra Tanner, who operated the Utah Lighthouse Ministry in SLC. I have also met Dr. Walter Martin and since his death, his book "Kingdom of the Cults" has been revised and updated by his son. Both books contain the true facts about Mormon theology, doctrine, and history. The efforts of Gerald and Sandra Tanner has left a legacy of truth in their efforts to show the demonic effects of Mormon propaganda. If you have read "Mormonism: Shadow or Reality," you will note that it falls in-line with "The CES Letter" written by Jeremy Runnells. Since the closing of the Utah Lighthouse Ministry, the effect of the Tanner's publications has been greatly magnified in their influence on the de-expansion of Mormonism worldwide. I encourage every reader of and contributor to DiscussMormonism.com to purchase both of aforementioned books off the Internet.
Thank you for responding. I’ve seen Sandra Tanner interviewed by John D. She seems really nice. It really is people like the Tanners, Juanita Brooks and Fawn Brodie who were more interested in truth than fellowship. I take my hat off to them.
Two mottos I try to follow: 1) my hero is truth; 2) no surprises.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

NRnowlinMA wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:51 am
It was Mormonism: Shadow or Reality that finally led me to part ways with the LDS church.
he/him

Doctor Steuss
God

Post by Doctor Steuss »

Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:29 pm
It was Mormonism: Shadow or Reality that finally led me to part ways with the LDS church.
B-b-b-b-but, I thought you were a DCP-approved apologist for the LDS Church?

World shattered.
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

Doctor Steuss wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:23 pm
Res Ipsa wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:29 pm
B-b-b-b-but, I thought you were a DCP-approved apologist for the LDS Church?

World shattered.
Shh. I'm trying to reclaim my cover. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
he/him

huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

NRnowlinMA wrote:
Thu Nov 16, 2023 1:24 am
.... One must recall that when the Mormon Church was disfranchised by the federal government, the sum of their religious practices, including polygamy, was declared illicit and wrong. When did the federal government reverse its decision, that Mormon theology was bogus and false? All the Mormons did when Utah became a state was to take their practices underground in their belief and practice of the same theology that was practiced by Joseph Smith, Jr. in Nauvoo, Illinois and Brigham Young, and his successors in the Salt Lake Valley Mormon theocracy.

The federal laws against religious fraud have not changed. These laws have been codified and must again be applied justly and properly as they once were.
It is odd that I do not recall any such outlandish thing. I am aware of the general history of polygamy and the law but never have heard of this. The government deciding theology was false? that is such a bizarre thing. If it happened there is little wonder it is forgotten. What was not forgotten was legal decisions to make polygamy illegal. I understand there was threat to take the church property.