God was Sorry

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: God was Sorry

Post by High Spy »

bill4long wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:51 am
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2024 7:15 am
How do we get to this new earth?
Wishin' and hopin'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k
The Bible clearly states that the Earth shall be dissolved.

Hope means something you expect to happen and indeed every word spoken by God shall be fulfilled.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

High Spy wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:48 am
bill4long wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 1:51 am

Wishin' and hopin'?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycbgHM1mI0k
The Bible clearly states that the Earth shall be dissolved.

Hope means something you expect to happen and indeed every word spoken by God shall be fulfilled.
Got the pie thing... Happy pie day spy.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:25 am
Had to go look this up. Kind of sad.

If God was omnipotent and knew everything then why would he regret it need to repent making humans. It would certainly explain why it feels like Earth has been abandoned of Gods presence in comparison to how it appears in the Bible. Still makes me feel sadness.
That's kind of the problem, isn't it? Oversimplifying somewhat, the classical omnis are Greek phlosophical concepts that were retroactively applied to Yahweh. But the reality is that Yahweh is nothing like Aristotle's Unmoved Mover sitting outside the universe. Yahweh is much more here and now, a god who operates in and through history, in and through people. So he's already much more like us than would make many moderns comfortable,
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 pm

Why would describing a god using words like feared, repented, grieved, instil a sense of fear to maintain control? These are very human words. I don't think being made to feel guilty for making god feel grief would give the same sense of control as believing in an all powerful being. If these things were determined by the people then the people who wrote it are the sick ones. But we are taught as Mormons that the Bible isn't pure and that it has been altered by man. So... Not good really. It all just leads to confusion. I only go by what I feel in my being. Maybe God was disgusted by humans, there is a lot of evidence of this in the Bible but the verse above affects the omnipotence of what we are taught. I can't imagine a God that knows all and sees all at once would regret any creation.
Is it that hard to imagine when the world is full of parents doing their best to teach their children good values only to see them grow up into murderers anyway?
Timothy A. Griffy

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

tagriffy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:34 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:55 pm

Why would describing a god using words like feared, repented, grieved, instil a sense of fear to maintain control? These are very human words. I don't think being made to feel guilty for making god feel grief would give the same sense of control as believing in an all powerful being. If these things were determined by the people then the people who wrote it are the sick ones. But we are taught as Mormons that the Bible isn't pure and that it has been altered by man. So... Not good really. It all just leads to confusion. I only go by what I feel in my being. Maybe God was disgusted by humans, there is a lot of evidence of this in the Bible but the verse above affects the omnipotence of what we are taught. I can't imagine a God that knows all and sees all at once would regret any creation.
Is it that hard to imagine when the world is full of parents doing their best to teach their children good values only to see them grow up into murderers anyway?
I think a few parents protect said kids and would lie for them. I also think they'd be disgusted maybe but still love them. I doubt they'd decide they would want their murderous children to be executed? So would a parent give up if their kids turned out bad? Just wipe them off the earth? A God with far more knowledge and understanding who understood the processes that led their humans to do such things would have an insight that us parents don't. So to me, I find it hard to imagine an all knowing God feeling like wiping out his children because they made mistakes or they were wired in such a way that some were not right. You wouldn't throw an entire experiment out the window for some outlier results when there are plenty of positive results. You'd assume some unknown variable affected those results and you'd test more until the results were consistent enough to be worthy of publication. You'd only give up if you knew that the experiment wasn't going to work. But we are talking about God here. A God who is supposed to already know the outcome. If you knew the outcome of a trial would you be upset about the steps between if it was guaranteed to be a certain way? If you already knew everything? You would be calm and you'd do whatever you already knew was going to create that result but you wouldn't be aggrieved.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:47 pm

I think a few parents protect said kids and would lie for them. I also think they'd be disgusted maybe but still love them. I doubt they'd decide they would want their murderous children to be executed? So would a parent give up if their kids turned out bad? Just wipe them off the earth? A God with far more knowledge and understanding who understood the processes that led their humans to do such things would have an insight that us parents don't. So to me, I find it hard to imagine an all knowing God feeling like wiping out his children because they made mistakes or they were wired in such a way that some were not right. You wouldn't throw an entire experiment out the window for some outlier results when there are plenty of positive results. You'd assume some unknown variable affected those results and you'd test more until the results were consistent enough to be worthy of publication. You'd only give up if you knew that the experiment wasn't going to work. But we are talking about God here. A God who is supposed to already know the outcome. If you knew the outcome of a trial would you be upset about the steps between if it was guaranteed to be a certain way? If you already knew everything? You would be calm and you'd do whatever you already knew was going to create that result but you wouldn't be aggrieved.
First, you do have some really good points here, some of which I have to let roll around a bit.

However, I do think it should be pointed out that when push came to shove, God did not throw out the entire experiment. This is one of the basic lessons of the Flood story. No, things were not turning out the way God wanted, but God did wind up reconciling himself to humanity as it is rather than as he thought it should be. "And when the LORD smelled the pleasing odor, the LORD said in his heart, “I will never again curse the ground because of humankind, for the inclination of the human heart is evil from youth; nor will I ever again destroy every living creature as I have done" (Gen. 8:21, NRSV). I think this is interesting, that God has to reconcile himself to his own creation.

You may also remember what I said about the traditional omnis being more Greek philosophy than Israelite religion. This genuinely raises the question of whether God as depicted in Genesis knew what the outcome was going to be. I'm sure he guessed some things would go wrong. Intelligence, free will, and opposable thumbs are a really dangerous combination, after all. Also remember the stories leading up to the Flood, are meant to depict just how bad the world had become when God determined to bring the Flood. That sense may be lost on us moderns because of the mythological language of sons of God mixing with daughters of Adam and so forth. So this raises the possibility that things were (at least from God's point-of-view) far, far worse than even God himself expected.
Timothy A. Griffy

msnobody
Prophet

Post by msnobody »

“That sense may be lost on us moderns because of the mythological language of sons of God mixing with daughters of Adam and so forth.“

That’s the way I understand it too, which served to the proliferation of evil.
The LORD your God has chosen you to be a people for his treasured possession... The LORD set his love on you and chose you... The LORD has brought you out with a mighty hand and redeemed you from the house of slavery. Deut. 7