God was Sorry

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Valo
Deacon

Re: God was Sorry

Post by Valo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 am
Valo wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 12:34 pm
No, that's not it.
Yes, that is it.
You ever considered it's You that's wrong?
Whether I'm wrong or not is irrelevant. Whether the Book of Mormon is wrong is the issue at, uh, issue. You seem to believe it is. In that case, just make up whatever you want, but don't claim it has anything to do with the Book of Mormon.
Are these your commandments to me? :D
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:28 am
No, they're instructions on how to be both consistent and coherent.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:25 am
Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 7:28 am
No, they're instructions on how to be both consistent and coherent.
Gotcha. Anything else irrelevant you want to share with me today? :D
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Consistency and coherence are irrelevant to you?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:49 am
You ought to read the Book of Mormon sometime. It'll make it abundantly clear that the Jaredite barges were sea ships, not space ships. . . not to mention the fact that rocket technology wasn't available c. 2,000 years before Christ.
But weren't these saucer-shaped and plugged by huge corks at the top and bottom entry points, plus no visible means of propulsion? That made them curious ocean-going vessels and not barges intended for the Erie Canal.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:37 am
Weird that you didn't quote me. Almost like you're scared! :D

But, no, that's not it.

It's the content of your posts that are directed at me personally and speaking about me personally, that are irrelevant.

You want to try again?

That the primary events of the Book of Mormon took place in the Americas is an assumption. It is not in the texts. It is an addition given by later interpretations. It's only in the chapter headings that say "America". The Book of Mormon never mentions "America".

So it's not an established fact that the Book of Mormon events primarily take place in the Americas. It's an established tradition. But not factual.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:37 am

But, no, that's not it.

It's the content of your posts that are directed at me personally and speaking about me personally, that are irrelevant.

You want to try again?

That the primary events of the Book of Mormon took place in the Americas is an assumption. It is not in the texts. It is an addition given by later interpretations. It's only in the chapter headings that say "America". The Book of Mormon never mentions "America".

So it's not an established fact that the Book of Mormon events primarily take place in the Americas. It's an established tradition. But not factual.
My understanding is that the gold plates were found in America having been buried in America by the people living in America. I would have to re read with the perspective that it might not be America to try to visualise the possibility that it may have been written elsewhere. I'm not likely to do that. My scriptures are packed away deep in storage. If I believed the gold plates existed, I'd be inclined to experiment. I do know that the scriptures can be (hahhaha.... Have to cut in... Oli just asked why wisdom teeth called wisdom teeth? I said because they grow when people are supposed to be wise. He said but they grow the wrong way, shouldn't they be called stupidity teeth. I laughed. He said he hopes he is one of the 35% of people that don't grow wisdom teeth. Going to trust him on his statistics lol)

Forgot what I was saying... Oh... So I know, you can open the scriptures and find meaning in anything you read that can be applied to life. But can that be done with most books.
Valo
Deacon

Post by Valo »

Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 pm
Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 6:02 pm

But, no, that's not it.

You want to try again?

My understanding is that the gold plates were found in America having been buried in America by the people living in America. I would have to re read with the perspective that it might not be America to try to visualise the possibility that it may have been written elsewhere. I'm not likely to do that. My scriptures are packed away deep in storage. If I believed the gold plates existed, I'd be inclined to experiment. I do know that the scriptures can be (hahhaha.... Have to cut in... Oli just asked why wisdom teeth called wisdom teeth? I said because they grow when people are supposed to be wise. He said but they grow the wrong way, shouldn't they be called stupidity teeth. I laughed. He said he hopes he is one of the 35% of people that don't grow wisdom teeth. Going to trust him on his statistics lol)

Forgot what I was saying... Oh... So I know, you can open the scriptures and find meaning in anything you read that can be applied to life. But can that be done with most books.
Good observation as far as the gold plates. Where are they? Of course we have the story that they were taken by Moroni. But fact is they are not available to us. The Book of Mormon makes no claims as far as where it took place, etc.

There is ample evidence to indicate that in the early days of the LDS Church lots of stories and events were tall tales, fabrications, or molested truth to make the events seem more than what they were.

When we look at physical evidence, of the claims made by the book itself, it doesn't give us a name of a place we can recognize as the Americas.

Another thing that I posted earlier but it was ignores is the connection between the British Isle and the Book of Mormon. The holy grail legends etc. are very much aligned with the symbolism and ideas discussed in Ether about a vessel to cross the great deep.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Valo wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 10:22 pm
Imwashingmypirate wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 8:18 pm

Good observation as far as the gold plates. Where are they? Of course we have the story that they were taken by Moroni. But fact is they are not available to us. The Book of Mormon makes no claims as far as where it took place, etc.

There is ample evidence to indicate that in the early days of the LDS Church lots of stories and events were tall tales, fabrications, or molested truth to make the events seem more than what they were.

When we look at physical evidence, of the claims made by the book itself, it doesn't give us a name of a place we can recognize as the Americas.

Another thing that I posted earlier but it was ignores is the connection between the British Isle and the Book of Mormon. The holy grail legends etc. are very much aligned with the symbolism and ideas discussed in Ether about a vessel to cross the great deep.
Absolutely follow you on this. The danger here though is that are we adjusting the story to explain the problems away? To make it somehow still work?

I saw your mention of the UK possibly being the land but I don't have enough understanding to respond. I would have to study the Book of Mormon and research it to be able to respond to that idea. Perhaps there are people more knowledgeable than might be able to answer that. I don't see a problem in considering the possibility that America wasn't the promised land, it was just where the plates ended up. My personal problem is that I do not believe the plates existed. And so it's all defunct. It's a pointless argument. You could say Joseph Smith was inspired by God to write the Book of Mormon and so it's still the works of God just brought to us through inspiration rather than direct translation.

But then why talk about plates? Why hide the plates but not hide other documentation translated by Joseph Smith? I would need a better explanation as to why we aren't able to see the plates.
Imwashingmypirate
God

Moksha wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 12:39 pm
Dr. Shades wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 6:49 am
You ought to read the Book of Mormon sometime. It'll make it abundantly clear that the Jaredite barges were sea ships, not space ships. . . not to mention the fact that rocket technology wasn't available c. 2,000 years before Christ.
But weren't these saucer-shaped and plugged by huge corks at the top and bottom entry points, plus no visible means of propulsion? That made them curious ocean-going vessels and not barges intended for the Erie Canal.
Wouldn't the cork popping out be a source of propulsion :? ;)