Piercing Veil of Deception

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Moksha
God

Piercing Veil of Deception

Post by Moksha »

Swedish theologian Krister Stendahl said, "When you are trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies." However, doesn't that create a dilemma when a religion's adherents seem deceptive in so many ways?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Re: Piercing Veil of Deception

Post by High Spy »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:41 am
Swedish theologian Krister Stendahl said, "When you are trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies." However, doesn't that create a dilemma when a religion's adherents seem deceptive in so many ways?

Indeed it does.

Scripture cites 3 Nephi 21:9-11 and reveals a pesky little chink in the wall of deception.
Imwashingmypirate
Apostle

Post by Imwashingmypirate »

I would think it would make sense to ask both perspectives and maybe somewhere in between you'll find the answer?

If you are thinking to join a church, really you want to know how it affects the lives of those who live it because you'd be intending to live it. Ask the children (not literally, that would be weird). Children will be more honest.

I don't think they are so deceptive. I think they want to view things a particular way and are wrapped up in it. "Brainwashed" maybe. Is it really deception if they don't know they are sharing a possibly enhanced version of the truth but to them it's real?

When I was going out with the sister missionaries when I was a ward missionary as a teen, I did not ever feel like I was deceiving. I know my testimony was full of questions and holes. I only shared things from my perspective and actually sometimes, I think people appreciated that honesty. I was upfront and said I have an inquisitive mind, I question everything. I knew I enjoyed being part of the church though. Just hated that everyone could feel the spirit and I couldn't. I guess I probably wouldn't get roped into mass hysteria if it happened around me lol.
tagriffy
Deacon

Post by tagriffy »

Moksha wrote:
I would guess it depends on the reasons why one sees the adherents as being deceptive.
Timothy A. Griffy
http://tagriffy.blogspot.com

Be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

American conservatives are a paradox (if you want to be polite) or soulless expedient cynics (if you want to be accurate).--TheCriticalMind
Res Ipsa
God

Post by Res Ipsa »

I would talk to both, but that's me.
he/him
When I go to sea, don’t fear for me. Fear for the storm.

Jessica Best, Fear for the Storm. From The Strange Case of the Starship Iris.
High Spy
1st Quorum of 70

Post by High Spy »

tagriffy wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:37 pm
Moksha wrote:
I would guess it depends on the reasons why one sees the adherents as being deceptive.
Unknowingly deceptive … like Jesus said … they know not what they do …
huckelberry
God

Post by huckelberry »

Moksha wrote:
Moksha, you jogged a faint memory for me so I looked up Krister Stendahl in wikapedia.
Stendahl is credited with creating Stendahl's three rules of religious understanding, which he presented in a 1985 press conference in Stockholm, Sweden, in response to vocal opposition to the building of a temple there by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.[9] His rules are as follows:

When you are trying to understand another religion, you should ask the adherents of that religion and not its enemies.
Don't compare your best to their worst.
Leave room for "holy envy." (By this Stendahl meant that you should be willing to recognize elements in the other religious tradition or faith that you admire and wish could, in some way, be reflected in your own religious tradition or faith.)
I think these are good guides to understanding neighbors and decreasing prejudices. I do think there is a place for Res Ipsa proposal that there is value in checking the views of both friends and enemies. For understanding Mormons there have been enemies with questionable, distorted views some who spread disinformation. I recently saw a youtube presentation about Mormons by a fellow who met alligator shape shifters in the temple subbasement. That there are poor sources does not mean there is not value in other negative sources.

For understanding others I think it best to use Stendahl's guides. Then with some knowledge negative vies can be carefully considered.