New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

Post by Shulem »

Well, look at Him. His robe is fallen open –- it’s a bit sloppy looking if you ask me. It looks like a bed sheet wrapped about his Person.

I notice a nipple is exposed. Wow. That seems a bit risqué if you ask me. I think Jesus could use a haircut. He looks rather unkept with his hair in knots or dregs.

I find it somewhat unbecoming that the Mormons depict nail marks in the palms and feet of resurrected Jesus. To me, it's just wrong. The resurrected body should be glorious and perfect. Mormons and other Christians make a crude display of Christ when they depict marks in the hands and feet. I see no reason to include wounds when everyone knows who it's supposed to be. It's not necessary to include hash marks! It's crude and barbaric. Focusing on someone's mortal wounds is in poor taste. It’s a curious psychological egoism to resort to this tactic in order to focus on an image of Christ who was crucified and resurrected 2,000 years ago. I think the Church should get rid of the nail marks.
Shulem
God

Re: New Church Logo of Jesus in a Bell Jar?

Post by Shulem »

The Mormons want to appear uber-Christian and corner the market on their new image of Jesus borrowed from a statue. If the above logo is inspired from God and the Latter-day Saints are in such need of reminders of Jesus having a body, then why didn't earlier First Presidencies come up with it first? Mormons under previous Church Presidents missed out on the idea of a statue (in a bottle?) and until now the world has been deprived of Mormon symbolism that might have been expressed long ago. It seems like a modern publicity stunt to tout a new brand which excludes the word “Mormon” and to emphasize the name of Christ.

I think the new logo is overly blue. Why just blue? Why not add a little color -– the splash of life? The Bible says that God invented the rainbow after murdering everyone in the flood -– the BLUE waters of death, so why not use color to celebrate Christ coming alive again? The use of two-tone blue looks too businesslike and conservative -- a church run by businessmen and lawyers -– a corporation rather than a church.
Last edited by Shulem on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Let me out of here!

Post by Shulem »

The thought of being trapped or on display in a jar does not appeal to my senses. I think it’s a bit rude to entrap Jesus in a jar. I think the logo should be discontinued. It's crude and makes Jesus look like a prisoner to Himself. Nobody should have to be on display in a jar!

Last edited by Shulem on Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shulem
God

Time in a Bottle

Post by Shulem »

The image of Jesus in His Jar is disconcerting. His hands are stretched out as if to measure how much room He has before touching the glass. Nobody should have to live in a bottle. It's a terrible, terrible, concept.

The Mormons have goofed by putting Jesus in what appears to be a bottle. Nothing belongs in a bottle except for time itself.

“If I could save time in a bottle
The first thing that I'd like to do
Is to save every day
'Til eternity passes away
Just to spend them with you
If I could make days last forever
If words could make wishes come true”

It’s not good to depict someone in a jar which is nothing more than a glass prison.

The Church logo depicting Jesus in a jar is absolute confinement. The cold stone statue of bending Jesus within the prison of a jar appears as a lifeless stone statue having no shadow of change and no joy in which to transcend. Jesus in His bottle appears a prisoner in a haze of corporate blue. No joy. No love. No sunshine.

Shulem
God

Skip & Jump?

Post by Shulem »

I’ve heard it said that logo-Jesus appears to be skipping rope but that’s just an optical illusion. It also could be said that He appears to be contemplating jumping from off the ledge of a high clerestory window as if the hands of angels would bear Him up lest He dash a foot against a stone.

For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways. They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Church News -- 3 Key Aspects of the New Church Symbol, Its Purpose, and Use

Depicting Christ under an arch serves as a reminder of His emergence from the tomb three days after His death.
A “reminder”? Who needs to be reminded that Jesus rose from the dead after 3 days? What's with the reminder? Nobody needs to be reminded of that -- everyone already knows that, moreover, especially Christians! So why do Mormons need to be reminded by the new Church logo? What about all the Mormons who have since passed on and didn't get this little reminder of the Church Logo? Does that make them less Christian than Mormons today? Why couldn't they have a fancy new logo too? It doesn't seem fair.

This business of reminding everyone that Christ rose from the tomb in the logo is grade school stuff -- it reminds me of being in kindergarten and treated like a child. I think that's how the Church treats its members, like a group of little children who can't think for themselves and have to be constantly reminded that Jesus rose from the dead. All you have to do is read the Bible and you'll be reminded well enough.
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Depicting Christ under an arch serves as a reminder of His emergence from the tomb three days after His death.
Was the idea that the arch "serves as a reminder" conceived by the artist prior to designing the logo or after? Why do I ask? Well, because if it was after then that means the Church is just making it up as it goes along trying to paint a picture after the fact while all along acting like it’s an inspirational piece of work composed with purpose and intent in creating the original message of a reminder.

I think the design of the arch is somewhat sterile. It should be jagged and irregular as any tomb wall entrance would be in order to make it natural. The use of a perfect arch representing an earthly tomb wall is unnatural and the lack of definition of simple contour and shading to create the appearance of stone makes the whole thing appear fake. The perfect curve and shape of the line looks like it was made by a machine rather than human hands that originally carved the actual tomb entrance. In other words, it looks like it came from a cookie cutter. The claim that it represents resurrection seems like an afterthought.

I think the new Church logo is a failure and should be scrapped. The sketched image of Christ does not match the curved lines of the arch. It's out of balance with nature.
Last edited by Shulem on Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:32 pm
A “reminder”? Who needs to be reminded that Jesus rose from the dead after 3 days? What's with the reminder? Nobody needs to be reminded of that -- everyone already knows that, moreover, especially Christians! So why do Mormons need to be reminded by the new Church logo? What about all the Mormons who have since passed on and didn't get this little reminder of the Church Logo? Does that make them less Christian than Mormons today? Why couldn't they have a fancy new logo too? It doesn't seem fair.

This business of reminding everyone that Christ rose from the tomb in the logo is grade school stuff -- it reminds me of being in kindergarten and treated like a child. I think that's how the Church treats its members, like a group of little children who can't think for themselves and have to be constantly reminded that Jesus rose from the dead. All you have to do is read the Bible and you'll be reminded well enough.
I'm with you, Shulem. I really don't like this logo. It blows chunks. It is just another corporate logo. Drab, uninspired, factory-issued dreck.

The worst thing is their stupid explanation of the arch. What about Jesus as the only WAY to eternal life? An arch provides an entrance to walk through, and there is Jesus standing with open arms to welcome those who come through the arch. But they can't even be bothered to come up with interesting let alone sensible interpretations of their own corporate "art."

I think, however, that the more likely inspiration for the logo is a niche of the kind one finds in old religious architecture:

“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:I'm with you, Shulem. I really don't like this logo. It blows chunks. It is just another corporate logo. Drab, uninspired, factory-issued dreck.

Indeed, the whole logo smells like a corporate push to advertise a new brand and the blue is so over the top. Shades of blue are the only color other than the marbling of the white statue. The whole thing is rather boring and looks just like a corporate logo approved by lawyers rather than a church filled with humble followers trying to transcend the mundane business of life.

Where is the yellow? Why no orange? Dare to use red! Why no warmth from the logo? It's cold and lifeless! The coldness and sterile design of the logo is a flop. It won't last long on the Church books. It's coldness is uninviting. The impression it radiates is coldness and fails to soothe and warm the senses. It's a lifeless and spiritless drawing of a statue and fails to inspire and lift feelings of the heart and mind.
Ramus_Stein
Sunbeam

Post by Ramus_Stein »

If I may interject, I would prefer that the LDS Church use this image: