Jerusalem: First Nephi and the Historical Record

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Mig190
Nursery

Jerusalem: First Nephi and the Historical Record

Post by Mig190 »

Hi everyone,
A few months back I read a post on Reddit about the historical problems with First Nephi referencing Zedekiah. As a historian, it bothered me that I had not noticed this before. So, I researched it and wrote a paper. My intent was to share my conclusions publicly, not to publish it. Thoughts and feedback are welcomed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qwcyn5m178qbp ... d.pdf?dl=0
Shulem
God

Re: Jerusalem: First Nephi and the Historical Record

Post by Shulem »

I'm looking forward to reviewing your paper and see what comes of it.

O, LORD of the Bible! He certainly managed to find his way into the Book of Mormon in unmistakable terms in breathing his classic rebuke of threatening his chosen people with death and destruction unless they repent and do what he says. Being a member of the chosen race certainly had dreaded consequences and risks for not just a head of a household but the whole family was under an umbrella of death. Threats of destruction was Jehovah's calling card:

Nephi wrote:For it came to pass, in the commencement of the first year of the reign of Zedekiah, king of Judah, (my father Lehi having dwelt in Jerusalem in all his days;) and in that same year there came many prophets, prophesying unto the people, that they must repent, or the great city of Jerusalem must be destroyed.
Shulem
God

Must

Post by Shulem »

The Book of Mormon prophecy of Jerusalem being destroyed seemed entirely conditional and the city would be spared upon conditions of repentance. The survival of the city seems to hinge on one word, "must", which implies that the destruction of the city was entirely based on whether the Jews repent or not.

they must repent, or the great city of Jerusalem must be destroyed.

Based on the story of Lehi and his family in the wilderness followed by their perilous journey across the great deep, it seems that Laman and Lemuel were not true-blue believers and were constantly rebelling against Lehi and the more faithful son, Nephi. This being the case, it seems difficult to believe that the rebellious sons actually believed in the silly prophecies of their visionary father. Isn't that right? The sons were more interested in his property and maintaining wealth and status in Jerusalem. Doesn't the Book of Mormon adequately express the lack of faith and belief of Laman and Lemuel? That being the case, they would not have seen repentance as being a condition in which Jerusalem would be spared from foreign destruction. If they don't believe in the Lord and his mandate to repent according to visionary prophets then why would they think that the Lord could spare them? Based on the story in the Book of Mormon, reading between the lines, Laman and Lemuel weren't real believers but went along with Lehi because they really had no choice seeing he was the father of the estate and was not about to leave it into their hands and take off with just Sam and Nephi. So the story relents by dragging the unbelieving sons along.

Thus, the unbelieving sons never believed their idiot father but go along for the ride because they have no choice. And if they don't believe in the idiot dreams and prophecies of their father then they don't believe that the LORD is going to save Jerusalem from foreign invasion. So it would be like old times all over again and Laman and Lemuel could easily imagine Jerusalem getting sacked (destroyed) and the place being totally subjugated by foreign powers. Therefore, the Book of Mormon narrative about the older sons not believing that the great city Jerusalem could be destroyed is inconsistent with their beliefs and faith in the prophecy and contradicts previous historical accounts whereby Jerusalem succumbed.

When the Book of Mormon says that Laman and Lemuel "did not believe that Jerusalem, that great city, could be destroyed", it's the same as saying that Laman and Lemuel were of great faith and mightily believed in the prophecy and dreams of their father whereby Jerusalem could be spared on account of their faith and repentance. But according to the story, the older sons were not men of faith and hardly wanted to repent. So, it makes no sense that they believe Jerusalem could not fall because the LORD in whom they cared less was going to save them.

Does that help, a little, Mig190 ?

Thanks for sharing your historical context.
Shulem
God

We don't believe

Post by Shulem »

Nephi, our brother, you're fool. If you think we can build a ship and cross the great waters without being swallowed at sea, you're mistaken. If you think the LORD can save Jerusalem from the mighty armies of other nations than you're wrong again, young brother.

Jerusalem can fall just as easy as any city. God can't save it.

Shulem
God

No turning back

Post by Shulem »

Oh Nephi, there is no sense in going back. Jerusalem has probably already been sacked. The kingdom of Judah is weak and other nations know they can take it down easy enough. We might as well sail on to our deaths.

Shulem
God

Egypt bound

Post by Shulem »

Lemuel my brother, let's go to Egypt. Forget Lehi and are foolish little brother. Jerusalem is not safe anyway. Let's go back and get our things and head south to the border.

Shulem
God

The LORD can't save us

Post by Shulem »

We might as well get out of Jerusalem, my brother, Lemuel. The LORD can't save this place from itself. The kingdom of Judah is weak like a woman.

Philo Sofee
God

Re: Jerusalem: First Nephi and the Historical Record

Post by Philo Sofee »

Those are mighty fine lookin white and delightsome Jewish gents there....... :D
Shulem
God

Sariah murmers against the Lord

Post by Shulem »

Lehi, my husband, you know that Jerusalem can just as easily fall as any city in the kingdom. We are not safe. Your preaching is only going to get us into further trouble. Perhaps we should leave this place and seek safety elsewhere.

Shulem
God

Pack your bags

Post by Shulem »

Everyone knows Jerusalem is weak. Even our mighty king, righteous Josiah, has fallen at the hands of the Egyptian archers. We must depart from this place. Our sons fear for their lives and worry that the land will be overrun by foreign conquest and they will be killed in battle. We must leave this place.