“I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon”

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Kishkumen
God

Re: “I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon”

Post by Kishkumen »

What do you make of the fact that there really is very little solid evidence for the existence of Solomon’s temple, Shulem?
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

Re: “I, Nephi, did build a temple; and I did construct it after the manner of the temple of Solomon”

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:25 am
What do you make of the fact that there really is very little solid evidence for the existence of Solomon’s temple, Shulem?

Correct me if I’m wrong, my dear friend, but my understanding is that there is no solid evidence for the existence of Solomon’s temple, none at all. The original temple was completely destroyed and dismantled and to date there are no archeological remains or solid evidence that such a temple ever existed. Therefore, the only evidence we have of Solomon’s temple is found in the covers of the Bible. Is that not, correct?

Also, there is absolutely no solid evidence of Nephi’s temple and I think it safe to say that the scholarly world doesn’t consider the Book of Mormon statement of such to be any evidence at all. It’s just something Smith dreamed up in creating a fantasy to keep up with the Bible. It’s just another novel on the library shelf that has been published millions of times.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Shulem wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 1:29 pm
Correct me if I’m wrong, my dear friend, but my understanding is that there is no solid evidence for the existence of Solomon’s temple, none at all. The original temple was completely destroyed and dismantled and to date there are no archeological remains or solid evidence that such a temple ever existed. Therefore, the only evidence we have of Solomon’s temple is found in the covers of the Bible. Is that not, correct?

Also, there is absolutely no solid evidence of Nephi’s temple and I think it safe to say that the scholarly world doesn’t consider the Book of Mormon statement of such to be any evidence at all. It’s just something Smith dreamed up in creating a fantasy to keep up with the Bible. It’s just another novel on the library shelf that has been published millions of times.
Although I tend to incline in your direction as to the lack of hard evidence for the existence of a temple of Solomon, there is some suggestive stuff that I would not utterly dismiss. Still, it is interesting to think that there was no temple for Nephi to pattern his nonexistent temple after. Both are probably imaginary constructs. One patterned after the other.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Shulem
God

My testimony

Post by Shulem »

I would like to bear my testimony that I know beyond all reasonable doubt that the fictional characters of the Book of Mormon did not build a temple after the manner of the temple of Solomon as described in the Old Testament of the Bible. I know that no such thing ever happened on the American continent as described in Joseph Smith’s novel, the Book of Mormon. I know that Nephi, Sam, Zoram, Jacob, Joseph, and all the the hands available to them did not construct a house or anything like that of the biblical temple that sat majestically upon the mount in Jerusalem. It did not happen. I have a testimony and know in my heart and my mind that the claim in Smith’s story is untrue. I am grateful to have this understanding and a knowledge of the truth in being able to detect fraudulent claims and things that make no sense to those who live and walk in reality without having to have religious fantasies in order to sustain faith in things that cannot be seen or proven -- but in fact have been disproven by every conceivable and logical argument and rebuke.

Thank you for listening to my testimony. Have a great day!
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

Kishkumen wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 9:51 pm
Both are probably imaginary constructs. One patterned after the other.

That is possible. I cannot disprove this assertion.
Shulem
God

Nephite children play

Post by Shulem »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints puts on a happy and joyful showing of Nephite children playing while the temple is being built. These children look like they are dressed for their Sunday best and ready to go to church. In the meantime, Nephi, Sam, Zoram, and Jacob & Joseph are somewhere out in the stone quarries cutting blocks of stone and trying to figure out how to drag them back to the mount over yonder on the side of the hill. Nephi nearly broke his leg and is bleeding profusely. Sam pulled a muscle in his back, Zoram has severe cramps, and Jacob & Joseph desire a much needed vacation from all this work and desire to go swimming down in the bay.

Is there a doctor in the house?

Medic! We need a medic!

Youngest daughter: Daddy, Daddy, where is Daddy? I want him to see the new beads in my hair.

Mother: You will have to wait until he cuts another stone for the temple, my dear.

Son: Never mind that, let’s play ball.

Oldest daughter: I have a new silk two-piece swimsuit, let’s go swimming.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I have nothing to add but I have enjoyed this and the other 600 year thread Shulem. Both of these things were “on my shelf” from reading the Book of Mormon as a young teenager with family. The numbers and time jumps felt off when I tried to extrapolate from what was in the text.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Temple Interior - From the Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Shulem
God

Gold in abundance!

Post by Shulem »

Although the text clearly states in the same verse “save it were not built of so many precious things; for they were not to be found upon the land, wherefore, it could not be built like unto Solomon’s temple. But the manner of the construction was like unto the temple of Solomon; and the workmanship thereof was exceedingly fine”.

But what was found on the land? “GOLD”! In the very preceding verse we learn that Nephi did teach his people how to work with “gold, and of silver, and of precious ores, which were in great abundance.” Note that “GOLD” was in “GREAT ABUNDANCE” to melt and form pleasant things for God’s temple like that shown in the photo above.

Thus we see that gold was not rare in the hands of Nephi but he had plenty of gold to work with in order pour it out and make his temple extra special.