Book of Mormon Original Manuscript

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Shulem
God

Re: Book of Mormon Original Manuscript

Post by Shulem »

Moksha wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:12 pm
It would have been comforting to read, "We came ashore on a beautiful Delmarva beach."

Yeah, Lehi sailed across the Atlantic ocean and made port at DELMARVA, surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay. There on the southern tip of Virginia they made landfall and placed their seeds in the soil the moment they arrived. To this day, the Virginian island off the SE tip of the peninsula is still named "Smith". The old maps used in Joseph Smith's day also reflect the name "Smith".

Am I the only one who knows the connection? Philo, did you know that? Moksha?

I say this in the name of Joseph Smith.

Amen.

;)

Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Shulem wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:39 am
To this day, the Virginian island off the SE tip of the peninsula is still named "Smith". The old maps used in Joseph Smith's day also reflect the name "Smith".
The Interpreter Journal will add this to their Bayes Theorem hits.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

By the way, Shulem, do you have any details about the Ark of the Covenant apparently hidden in a mountainside vault in Little Cottonwood Canyon, near Salt Lake City, Utah? It is supposedly protected by a moat, lasers, Cerberus, and the most feral members of the FARMS old guard.
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

Potential Curelom on a city street: https://www.reddit.com/r/alpaca/comment ... &context=3
chrisley09
Nursery

Post by chrisley09 »

Because the Original Manuscript was dictated to the scribes in this manner, the Printer's Manuscript of the Book of Mormon was presented to the Printer without punctuation. The punctuation was chosen by a skilled printer and typesetter. 1/6 of the Original Manuscript was utilised to set type later in the Book of Mormon printing process (Helaman 13:17 to the end of the Book of Mormon).
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

chrisley09 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:46 pm
Because the Original Manuscript was dictated to the scribes in this manner, the Printer's Manuscript of the Book of Mormon was presented to the Printer without punctuation. The punctuation was chosen by a skilled printer and typesetter. 1/6 of the Original Manuscript was utilised to set type later in the Book of Mormon printing process (Helaman 13:17 to the end of the Book of Mormon).

Hello, and welcome.

I'm at a bit of a loss trying to connect your post to a previous post in which I assume you refer in perhaps countering a statement therefrom due to you using the word "Because".

Would you be so kind as to clarify the connection and your objections if there are any?

Thanks.
MG 2.0
God

Re: For Rent

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:11 pm
SECTION 124:59 wrote:Therefore, let my servant Joseph and his seed after him have place in that house, from generation to generation, forever and ever, saith the Lord.

This prophecy doesn’t seem to have been fulfilled in the manner Smith envisioned and literally ran its course after he died. The Nauvoo boarding house was never completed and ownership was assumed by Smith’s widow, Emma. The house was later converted into a residential home for Emma and her second husband. Emma recovered the deteriorated Original Manuscript from the cornerstone and surviving pieces were handed out as keepsakes to people who lived in Nauvoo. After Emma died, the mansion was purchased by the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and is owned by the Community of Christ to this day.

So, the bit about Joseph and his posterity having place in that house from generation to generation never fully materialized and at best was short lived seeing the house was never completed during the remaining years Smith was alive. As far as it being a house for Joseph’s seed from generation to generation, that’s a matter for the Community of Christ to determine -- not the Church in Utah which ultimately fled the scene.

SECTION 124:60 wrote:And let the name of that house be called Nauvoo House; and let it be a delightful habitation for man, and a resting-place for the weary traveler, that he may contemplate the glory of Zion, and the glory of this, the cornerstone thereof;

This prophecy does find some measure of fulfillment due to the efforts of the Community of Christ who preserve the home as a historic site and offer Nauvoo House Rental accommodations. Perhaps the Community of Christ is anxiously determined to find some measure of fulfillment in Smith’s earlier prophecy that it be a delightful habitation for man, and a resting-place for the weary traveler, but the cornerstone of Zion didn’t work out and ever remains unfulfilled. Sadly, unbeknown to Joseph the Seer, the original Book of Mormon manuscript was abandoned by Zion and left to rot.

Have you sorted out the meaning behind D&C 124:49? Would the meaning behind this verse have any relevance to this thread? I’ve read through the thread but haven’t seen any mention of verse 49. Maybe I missed your commentary on that verse.

49 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.
Conditional revelation. It’s a messy world we live in.

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 6:43 pm
Have you sorted out the meaning behind D&C 124:49? Would the meaning behind this verse have any relevance to this thread? I’ve read through the thread but haven’t seen any mention of verse 49. Maybe I missed your commentary on that verse.

49 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that when I give a commandment to any of the sons of men to do a work unto my name, and those sons of men go with all their might and with all they have to perform that work, and cease not their diligence, and their enemies come upon them and hinder them from performing that work, behold, it behooveth me to require that work no more at the hands of those sons of men, but to accept of their offerings.
Conditional revelation. It’s a messy world we live in.

Regards,
MG

The creative excuses tendered by the man Joseph Smith who pretended to speak for God in verse 49 are null and void. It is the creative excuse of the failure of man offering up anything he can to get out of his failed prophecy. Verse 49 is a direct contradiction to the faith and testimony of the power of Almighty God in seeing to it that his works and designs will come to pass as he says they will. It contradicts the Book of Mormon:

“I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.”

So-called “conditional prophecy” is a modern day construct proffered by apologists who recognize that Mormon prophecy does indeed fail and that words uttered from the Mormon God can be as fleeting as the wind and is only as good as the people who believe them. Verse 49 is none other than Joseph Smith covering up for his lack of vision and ability to really foresee the future as it would be. A seer will see the future as it really will be and a seer will see the past as it really was. This thread is ALL ABOUT Joseph Smith’s failures and those failures are all the proof we need that he was not speaking for God. He was speaking as a man, always, a man.

That is something for you to sort out, MG. I’ve already sorted it out. Smith was wrong in his pretended vision of the future and he had to come up with a good excuse to get out of it. Either you SEE the future or you do not. Joseph Smith did not.
MG 2.0
God

Post by MG 2.0 »

Shulem wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:35 pm

The creative excuses tendered by the man Joseph Smith who pretended to speak for God in verse 49 are null and void. It is the creative excuse of the failure of man offering up anything he can to get out of his failed prophecy. Verse 49 is a direct contradiction to the faith and testimony of the power of Almighty God in seeing to it that his works and designs will come to pass as he says they will…Smith was wrong in his pretended vision of the future and he had to come up with a good excuse to get out of it. Either you SEE the future or you do not. Joseph Smith did not.
At the time Section 124 was written did Joseph Smith know that the Nauvoo House was not going to be completed, etc.?

Regards,
MG
Shulem
God

Post by Shulem »

MG 2.0 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:47 pm
At the time Section 124 was written did Joseph Smith know that the Nauvoo House was not going to be completed, etc.?

Joseph Smith didn’t KNOW what the future would hold put had personal visions and ambitions of what he wanted the future to be. He tendered an excuse for his prophetic failure of the building of the Missouri temple by pretending to speak for the Lord yet again. All of section 124 is Joseph Smith talking to himself.

Does that answer your question?

:D