Multiple Mortal Probations

The upper-crust forum for scholarly, polite, and respectful discussions only. Heavily moderated. Rated G.
Ramus_Stein
Sunbeam

Multiple Mortal Probations

Post by Ramus_Stein »

Thanks to the great minds at DiscussMormonism.com, I have a new blog entry on multiple mortal probations:

https://steinramus.wixsite.com/restorat ... probations
If Joseph Smith believed that Michael was an exalted being--a god--who voluntarily became the mortal Adam in order to initiate the human family on earth, then why not also Gabriel? Joseph Smith loved patterns. He believed that there was a divine order of things and that events followed certain patterns. What God had approved in the past, he would surely do again, especially in the last days. Part of this eternal order of things may have been the introduction of key exalted figures, such as Michael/Adam, Jehovah/Jesus, and Gabriel/Noah, in order to undertake special missions that would bring about the salvation and exaltation of the human family. It is possible that these exalted beings who laid down their lives voluntarily were thought to be the same as the heads of dispensations, including Adam, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Jesus, and Joseph Smith himself.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Multiple Mortal Probations

Post by Kishkumen »

I look forward to reading this, Ramus. You may have something here. I am a little surprised and skeptical. Multiple mortal probations in 1830? I dunno. Seems somewhat unlikely to me. But, then, there may have been some earlier idea he had along these lines that allowed for what we see in the case of Gabriel that was later expanded. I just can't see the fully formed idea being present that early on. I don't think Smith plotted out his doctrinal views like Rowling and the Harry Potter series.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Ramus_Stein
Sunbeam

Post by Ramus_Stein »

Kishkumen wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:06 pm
I look forward to reading this, Ramus. You may have something here. I am a little surprised and skeptical. Multiple mortal probations in 1830? I dunno. Seems somewhat unlikely to me. But, then, there may have been some earlier idea he had along these lines that allowed for what we see in the case of Gabriel that was later expanded. I just can't see the fully formed idea being present that early on. I don't think Smith plotted out his doctrinal views like Rowling and the Harry Potter series.
Fair enough, Kishkumen. I am glad you are getting something out of my posts, but I expect that there will be a good deal of skepticism about my hypothesis. I am feeling my way along as I go and putting things together bit by bit. If I am right, then the evidence that I encounter will support my hypothesis. One thing I do not count on is the standard LDS interpretation of things to adequately explain it all.
Rjparkdo
Nursery

Post by Rjparkdo »

I find this an interesting topic, and one I consider as well. FYI, Julie Rowe has done a number of posts/podcasts on this topic as well.