Holland claims Protestant and Catholic Church's do not have true Christian beginnings

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
IHAQ
God

Holland claims Protestant and Catholic Church's do not have true Christian beginnings

Post by IHAQ »

One reason we do not emphasize the cross as a symbol stems from our biblical roots. Because crucifixion was one of the Roman Empire’s most agonizing forms of execution, many early followers of Jesus chose not to highlight that brutal instrument of suffering. The meaning of Christ’s death was certainly central to their faith, but for some 300 years they typically sought to convey their gospel identity through other means.6

By the fourth and fifth centuries, a cross was being introduced as a symbol of generalized Christianity, but ours is not a “generalized Christianity.” Being neither Catholic nor Protestant, we are, rather, a restored church, the restored New Testament Church. Thus, our origins and our authority go back before the time of councils, creeds, and iconography.7 In this sense, the absence of a symbol that was late coming into common use is yet another evidence that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a restoration of true Christian beginnings.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... d?lang=eng

I wonder if Nelson had the balls to explain that to the Pope when he was granted a brief audience with him?
I wonder if Holland has the balls to explain that when meeting with his Protestant and Catholic peers?
Philo Sofee
God

Re: Holland claims Protestant and Catholic Church's do not have true Christian beginnings

Post by Philo Sofee »

It is the literalness given to the meaning of the cross which throws them off to a cosmic grasp of the true cross's incredible true mythical meaning. It doesn't surprise me at all. Narrowness cannot grasp broadness.
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Re: Holland claims Protestant and Catholic Church's do not have true Christian beginnings

Post by Dr. Shades »

Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:44 pm
It is the literalness given to the meaning of the cross which throws them off to a cosmic grasp of the true cross's incredible true mythical meaning.
What is the true cross's incredible true mystical meaning?
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

Dr. Shades wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:46 pm
Philo Sofee wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 12:44 pm
It is the literalness given to the meaning of the cross which throws them off to a cosmic grasp of the true cross's incredible true mythical meaning.
What is the true cross's incredible true mystical meaning?
“Drink your Ovaltine”

At least that’s what I imagine it being if Mormonism is true.
PseudoPaul
Star B

Post by PseudoPaul »

IHAQ wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:33 am
One reason we do not emphasize the cross as a symbol stems from our biblical roots. Because crucifixion was one of the Roman Empire’s most agonizing forms of execution, many early followers of Jesus chose not to highlight that brutal instrument of suffering. The meaning of Christ’s death was certainly central to their faith, but for some 300 years they typically sought to convey their gospel identity through other means.6

By the fourth and fifth centuries, a cross was being introduced as a symbol of generalized Christianity, but ours is not a “generalized Christianity.” Being neither Catholic nor Protestant, we are, rather, a restored church, the restored New Testament Church. Thus, our origins and our authority go back before the time of councils, creeds, and iconography.7 In this sense, the absence of a symbol that was late coming into common use is yet another evidence that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is a restoration of true Christian beginnings.

I wonder if Nelson had the balls to explain that to the Pope when he was granted a brief audience with him?
I wonder if Holland has the balls to explain that when meeting with his Protestant and Catholic peers?
The LDS church doesn't bear much resemblance to any form of first century Christianity. To be fair neither does any other contemporary Christian church.
drumdude
God

Post by drumdude »

PseudoPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:17 pm
IHAQ wrote:

The LDS church doesn't bear much resemblance to any form of first century Christianity. To be fair neither does any other contemporary Christian church.
And that's not a problem for any Christian church except the ones who claim they were magically restored.
dastardly stem
God

Post by dastardly stem »

PseudoPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:17 pm
IHAQ wrote:

To be even more fair, nor did the various second century Christian groups.
“Every one of us is, in the cosmic perspective, precious. If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another.”
― Carl Sagan, Cosmos
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I really do hate crap like this. Just leave well enough alone, Elder Holland. You really don't benefit from going down that road. Nor does the LDS Church.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Dr Exiled
God

Post by Dr Exiled »

Who controls the religious myth? I guess Holland is bringing back the authority claims, somewhat. However, I'm with IHAQ and won't hold my breath on either Nelson or Holland bringing this up more publicly much less in front of other denomination leaders.
Myth is misused by the powerful to subjugate the masses all too often.
MsJack
Deacon

Post by MsJack »

He's incorrect. The cross (as a T) was around by the end of the 2nd century.

Earlier symbols include the ichthys and the anchor.

None of which are used by Mormons, so he isn't making the point that he thinks he is.
BA, Classics, Brigham Young University
MA, American Religious History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School
PhD Student, Church History, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School