Questions about BYU

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

Bond...James Bond wrote:
maklelan wrote:There are several religion classes that must be taken. This shows all the core requirements, including religion classes:

http://saas.BYU.edu/classSchedule/fall/ ... spx?lms=21

I've taken all of them and I have never once heard a testimony in any of the classes. Dr. Pike, in fact, never discusses an LDS doctrie or belief without first explaining that it is LDS and explaining what other religions believe as well.

Jeez,

If I'm reading the link correctly, you have to take 4 classes of doctrinal foundation and another 3-4 courses of religion electives. On the other hand, you can graduate after only 2 science and 2 math classes. Misplaced priorities perhaps?

Bond

It's an LDS school paid for by LDS dollars.

If students want to attend BYU, they know what they're getting into.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

liz3564 wrote:
Bond...James Bond wrote:
maklelan wrote:There are several religion classes that must be taken. This shows all the core requirements, including religion classes:

I've taken all of them and I have never once heard a testimony in any of the classes. Dr. Pike, in fact, never discusses an LDS doctrie or belief without first explaining that it is LDS and explaining what other religions believe as well.

Jeez,

If I'm reading the link correctly, you have to take 4 classes of doctrinal foundation and another 3-4 courses of religion electives. On the other hand, you can graduate after only 2 science and 2 math classes. Misplaced priorities perhaps?

Bond

It's an LDS school paid for by LDS dollars.

If students want to attend BYU, they know what they're getting into.

Hence my next post on this thread where I said private schools are private, and can do their own thing. I guess any religious school is going to have these types of things (honor codes, mandatory church?). I still think that 12-15 or more credits is too much though.

I wonder how the students feel when they go to archaelogy or history class and get a completely different story to what they just learned in religion class. Anyone get a mixed message at BYU between religion and archaeology/history/anthropology/etc class?

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_harmony
_Emeritus

Post by _harmony »

I wonder how the students feel when they go to archaelogy or history class and get a completely different story to what they just learned in religion class. Anyone get a mixed message at BYU between religion and archaeology/history/anthropology/etc class?

Bond

Well, they gutted the Sociol Sciences dept a few years ago, from what a friend of mine said.

I think most people are able to continue with their disconnect and keep compartmentalizing what they learn in class. And why would anyone go to BYU to get a degree in a social science anyway? They're much better known for their engineering and computer departments.
_Bond...James Bond
_Emeritus

Post by _Bond...James Bond »

harmony wrote: And why would anyone go to BYU to get a degree in a social science anyway? They're much better known for their engineering and computer departments.

Some people just want to go to BYU, just like some Catholics want to go to Notre Dame.

Bond
"Whatever appears to be against the Book of Mormon is going to be overturned at some time in the future. So we can be pretty open minded."-charity 3/7/07
_MormonMendacity
_Emeritus

Post by _MormonMendacity »

maklelan wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:

OH MY GOD!

How does a person like you get a license to post on the Internet????? There otta' be a law.

I don't understand what you're getting at. Someone asks a question (even if somewhat leading) and I respond with my exact and perfectly accurate perception of events that none of you are at all aware of and you accuse me of lying? I'd appreciate a little more respect. You demand it of others, why don't you show it to those who comply with those demands?

You do tend to babble a lot. I have no idea where you get "You accuse me of lying" and "You demand it of others".

Can you TRY to do more than just ramble? Find a topic and post some substance. It would entertain me quite a bit.
"Suppose we've chosen the wrong god. Every time we go to church we're just making him madder and madder" --Homer Simpson's version of Pascal's Wager
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool.
Religion is ignorance reduced to a system.
_Rollo Tomasi
_Emeritus

Post by _Rollo Tomasi »

maklelan wrote:I've taken all of them and I have never once heard a testimony in any of the classes. Dr. Pike, in fact, never discusses an LDS doctrie or belief without first explaining that it is LDS and explaining what other religions believe as well.

I enjoyed my time at BYU, but the overt "Mormony" feeling everywhere (including many non-religion classes) always bugged me. I still remember as a freshman taking a chemistry 101 class and being bewildered by the prof's continually citing to the D&C and PofGP as support for some scientific proof or theory. I was just a kid then, but I recognized the absurdity of it all. Then there are the non-religion classes where the students call the prof "Brother or Sister so-and-so," or non-religion classes where prayers were given (not many, but enough to give me the heebie-jeebies).

In many ways BYU is more like a seminary class than a university. Yes, BYU has some excellent colleges and profs (especially in the business area), but I have always expected a university to be the most open place in society to debate, discuss, explore, theorize, etc., both sides of any issue (including religion and theology), and BYU is just not that place.

Just my $.02.
"Moving beyond apologist persuasion, LDS polemicists furiously (and often fraudulently) attack any non-traditional view of Mormonism. They don't mince words -- they mince the truth."

-- Mike Quinn, writing of the FARMSboys, in "Early Mormonism and the Magic World View," p. x (Rev. ed. 1998)
_maklelan
_Emeritus

Post by _maklelan »

Rollo Tomasi wrote:In many ways BYU is more like a seminary class than a university. Yes, BYU has some excellent colleges and profs (especially in the business area), but I have always expected a university to be the most open place in society to debate, discuss, explore, theorize, etc., both sides of any issue (including religion and theology), and BYU is just not that place.

Just my $.02.

It's a university run by the church. If someone wants gay pride parades and theological speculation they should know better than to go to BYU.
I like you Betty...

My blog
_Yoda

Post by _Yoda »

MormonMendacity wrote:
maklelan wrote:
MormonMendacity wrote:

OH MY GOD!

How does a person like you get a license to post on the Internet????? There otta' be a law.

I don't understand what you're getting at. Someone asks a question (even if somewhat leading) and I respond with my exact and perfectly accurate perception of events that none of you are at all aware of and you accuse me of lying? I'd appreciate a little more respect. You demand it of others, why don't you show it to those who comply with those demands?

You do tend to babble a lot. I have no idea where you get "You accuse me of lying" and "You demand it of others".

Can you TRY to do more than just ramble? Find a topic and post some substance. It would entertain me quite a bit.

I'm really confused as to what Mak said here that was wrong or not on topic. James asked in his OP what the BYU Religion requirements were and Mak provided a link which spells out all of the BYU religion and GE requirements.

What am I missing?
_moksha
_Emeritus

Post by _moksha »

MormonMendacity wrote:

OH MY GOD!

I doubt Runtu will make such a law. Good for Makelan.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_ajax18
_Emeritus

Post by _ajax18 »

Maybe this isn't what you're asking but I always found Religion classes to be one of my few As that didn't require much work as long as I steered clear of those with General authority last names. I can't say religion really hurt my other academic pursuits.

I thought Dr. Skinner was pretty fair, and he did his best with tough questions I threw at him about the Old Testament. So much seemd downright weird. On the other hand I almost got thrown out of Dr. Dorius's D&C class for stating that there was no official stance by the church on evolution. I guess I'm embarrassed to say this but at that age I didn't understand faith promoting and basically to keep my mouth shut on philosophical questions that they weren't interested in addressing. During my teen years I was very set on the idea that the missionaries had all the answers, and for a time they did. Thankfully I found the internet. I've gotten all the depth I could handle and then some.
And when the confederates saw Jackson standing fearless as a stone wall the army of Northern Virginia took courage and drove the federal army off their land.