Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Lem
God

Re: Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

Post by Lem »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:09 pm
IHAQ, :D You're a good sport.

Let's not forget that Mr. Peterson attempted to doxx Lemmie based on 'Smokey's' bad information. As a result an innocent teacher was identified and targeted for harassment. I don't believe he apologized for that one. So forgive me when I side eye someone who claims DCP, a serial plagiarizer, doxxer, and liar is described as a genial teaching professor who is being besmirched. He's an asshole who's made a career out of being an asshole in attempt to keep people duped about his employer.

- Doc
Yes, I felt very badly for that professor. I don’t doubt she received a few utterly disingenuous or maybe just straight up hateful messages from Midgley et al. For Peterson to go on and on about Smokey the DezNat’s disinformation on that was inexcusable. And, as I have always stated, I point out his plagiarism because his plagiarism stains our joint profession. I think it was Jesse Pinkman who mostly disagreed with that, asking repeatedly why those who pointed out the plagiarism were risking “ruining his life” because the wrong people might find out about it. She never did seem to get that the only person “ruining his life” with plagiarism was the plagiarizer.
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Lol @ Plagiarizin' Peterson who obsessively follows this board:
The comments below are loosely related to my 21 March 2021 blog entry, “Mark Hofmann, the “Salamander Letter,” and Me”
https://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeters ... fmann.html

It looks like the spectre of another Peterson Plagiarism thread has scared the lazy bones into making a minimal effort on his vanity blog to source his material today.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Over at the hate board, DCP wonders if he will be missed:
I confess that, as I age and as I listen to the eulogies of good people, I begin to think occasionally about what people who actually know me might say about me when I depart this vale of tears. And about what I need to do better in order to deserve decent thoughts when I pass.

Note: I'm not talking about the small handful of people online who've been industriously demonizing me, daily, for the better part of two decades now. There's probably nothing that I can do about them -- or, perhaps better, for them -- so, on the whole, I don't lose sleep over what they say. But I hope that I can close out my life in a way that good, sincere, fair people feel at least a slight bit of wistfulness when I'm finally gone.
http://disq.us/p/2fwyx4g

I can't help DCP salvage what little remains of his legacy, but I can suggest a few ideas for his tombstone:

Last edited by Everybody Wang Chung on Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Dr. Shades
Founder and Visionary

Post by Dr. Shades »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 2:09 pm
So forgive me when I side eye someone who claims DCP, a serial plagiarizer, doxxer, and liar is described as a genial teaching professor who is being besmirched.
Let me clarify my comment: Criticizing someone for what he or she did indeed do or failed to do is FAIR game. It's just that it does not become us to invent criticisms that aren't true, or that we have no way of knowing are true, just to score rhetorical points.

Let me illustrate:
It would be a fitting end to a disappointing and lackluster academic career.
We can criticize the actual things he's written. It doesn't reflect well on us to state, as though it were a fact, that his academic career was either disappointing or lackluster when in fact we have no way of knowing that.
DCP’s time at BYU will unfortunately be remembered by plagiarism, disparaging BYU/The Maxwell Institute, one of the lowest teacher ratings by students at BYU, lack of publishing and open disdain for his students/teaching.
The first two criticisms are FAIR game, as is the failure to publish those two books for which he was given a paid sabbatical. But "the lowest teacher ratings by students at BYU?" How can anyone know that who isn't a bean counter at BYU itself? And why throw out the totally speculative (and uncharacteristic!) accusation that he has "open disdain for his students / teaching?"

So, we're justified to criticize that which we know is true and that which he himself has written. But making up stuff is a very, very hard line that I think people should never cross. That's my point.
"It’s ironic that the Church that people claim to be true, puts so much effort into hiding truths."
--I Have Questions, 01-25-2024
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Dr. Shades wrote:
Let me clarify my comment: Criticizing someone for what he or she did indeed do or failed to do is FAIR game.
That's the point of my post, Shades. DCP has indeed failed to keep his promise of finishing those two books.
Dr. Shades wrote:We can criticize the actual things he's written. It doesn't reflect well on us to state, as though it were a fact, that his academic career was either disappointing or lackluster when in fact we have no way of knowing that.
Shades, I absolutely know his academic career was both disappointing and lackluster. I know this from the facts and from conversations with DCP's colleagues.

Just look at his CV. Is there any one else at BYU that has published less than DCP? Look at how DCP has trashed BYU's administration, professors and the Maxwell Institute. Look at how much DCP has plagiarized, etc.

Shades, do you honestly feel DCP's academic career has been anything other than disappointing and lackluster?
Dr. Shades wrote:But "the lowest teacher ratings by students at BYU?" How can anyone know that who isn't a bean counter at BYU itself? And why throw out the totally speculative (and uncharacteristic!) accusation that he has "open disdain for his students / teaching?"
Again, we know from DCP himself that he doesn't like teaching and he's not fond of his students. This poor attitude is clearly reflected in DCP's abysmal student ratings.

DCP has an average rating of 2.6 and the average rating for BYU professors is 4.4:

https://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRa ... id=1362547

Shades, you can go back to licking DCP's boots now.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

I would go a little bit farther than Dr. Shades and say that criticizing what apologists do in their apologetics is kinda what we are all about, but finding fault broadly and in a personal way is unhealthy. My two cents.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

By the way, I admittedly am not a superstar teacher, so it shouldn’t surprise you to learn that I think student evaluations are deeply flawed as a measure of someone’s actual skill as a teacher. I recall one class that had me in such a good mood that I praised them more than usual. They gave me some of the best ratings I ever received. 93% of that particular class rated me as excellent.

Yeah, great, but what that tells me, more than anything, is that we had a good time and we liked each other, not that I was otherwise a poor teacher.
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
sock puppet
1st Counselor

Post by sock puppet »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:10 pm
Just look at his CV. Is there any one else at BYU that has published less than DCP? Look at how DCP has trashed BYU's administration, professors and the Maxwell Institute. Look at how much DCP has plagiarized, etc.
I have not looked into this, to see how DCP's publishing record measures up against other BYU faculty of his tenure. If you are correct, DCP might be a prime example of seeming rather than doing or being.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal." Groucho Marx
"The truth has no defense against a fool determined to believe a lie." Mark Twain
The best lack all conviction, while the worst//Are full of passionate intensity." Yeats
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Kishkumen wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:25 pm
I would go a little bit farther than Dr. Shades and say that criticizing what apologists do in their apologetics is kinda what we are all about, but finding fault broadly and in a personal way is unhealthy. My two cents.
+1
Everybody Wang Chung
God

sock puppet wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:47 pm
I have not looked into this, to see how DCP's publishing record measures up against other BYU faculty of his tenure. If you are correct, DCP might be a prime example of seeming rather than doing or being.
Sock Puppet,

Welcome back!! It’s great seeing you again. I hope you’ve been well.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014