Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Kishkumen
God

Re: Will DCP Keep His Promise To BYU?

Post by Kishkumen »

Everybody Wang Chung wrote:
Thu Mar 25, 2021 11:14 pm
Kish,

DCP has been very malicious in his attacks against Robert Ritner. Robert Ritner was even contemplating suing DCP.

Remember this post from Kevin Graham:
Yes, I am very well aware of all of that, Everybody Wang Chung. I was there, and I recall it all well enough. I understand that there is a need to continue to justify this endless crusade to make fun of DCP and stoke outrage against him by making sure no one forgets all of his many wrongdoings.

Here's the thing, though, we don't really gain anything by keeping this up, if our overall goal is to overturn bad apologetics. This is wasted effort. It is true that if our goal is to double down on convincing the world and re-convincing ourselves that DCP is a total scum bucket, then, sure, this method works wonders. People are eager to fight me over the importance of continuing with this crap. Gotta be hella important, I'd say.

I just don't see what attacks on DCP's character have to do with the effectiveness of LDS apologetics except in mirroring Mopologetic character assassination as a method of robbing one's opponent of their apparent legitimacy.

In other words, people point out that DCP and others insinuated that Ritner had it in for Gee for turning Ritner down sexually. OK, now we see that the argument against Ritner was so weak that people chose to focus on some alleged social conflict between the two, and this example was great because of rampant LDS homophobia.

So now we spend forever dredging up this story because it works wonders for reminding others how awful DCP must be to either be homophobic or play on the homophobia of his friends and readers in attacking Ritner.

Of course, the better way to do this is probably just to remind people that the papyri are not Bronze Age documents and their Egyptian does not translate into the Book of Abraham. It really is that simple. If your belief in Mormonism was standing or falling on the accuracy of Joseph Smith's Egyptian translation skills, then by all means you should not be Mormon.

Problem solved. No wallowing in the muck of rumors and character assassination.

We should really want people to make the best choices for themselves based on the merits of the case for Mormonism. People who spend their time attacking personalities are on the wrong track. I would say that it's just masturbatory nonsense. Everyone gets worked up because so and so is an awful person, but what does that say about Mormonism?

Nothing. Absolutely nothing.

What it may do, however, is suggest to others that we are somehow obsessive and unable to let go of these old battles. They might think that our decisions about Mormonism were overly impacted by our anger or dislike for DCP. We would be allowing ourselves to be offended, in LDS speak, and not focusing on the question of the truth of the Gospel. We would be straining at a gnat to swallow a camel, as it were.

So, how effective is this continuing assault on DCP's character for convincing others that we made the right decisions for the right reasons in our quest for truth?
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Except, note my signature line and you won't get a chance to argue the point on his vanity blog.

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:57 pm
Except, note my signature line and you won't get a chance to argue the point on his vanity blog.

- Doc
Is that a win that is worth pursuing? What is gained if the way of winning that person over is to tell him his friend are creeps? If a person is incapable of being won over by the merits of the argument, then who wants them as an ally? Will this person have been improved by using character assassination to shame him into abandoning his religion?
“The past no longer belongs only to those who once lived it; the past belongs to those who claim it, and are willing to explore it, and to infuse it with meaning for those alive today.”—Margaret Atwood
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Post by Everybody Wang Chung »

Kish wrote:People are eager to fight me over the importance of continuing with this Crap. Gotta be hella important, I'd say.
I have no desire whatsoever to "fight" you over anything. I haven't even said anything to you. My only post to you was to point out that John Gee's behavior that makes you "red in the face" is identical to DCP's behavior in regards to Robert Ritner.

Kish wrote:So, how effective is this continuing assault on DCP's character for convincing others that we made the right decisions for the right reasons in our quest for truth?
I'm not trying to convince anyone. The proof is there for anyone to see. I'm just shining a light on DCP's bad behavior which I am convinced has hurt many people, their reputations and institutions that I care deeply about.

As long as DCP continues his harmful behavior, people will continue to shine a light on the same. Kish, I'm perplexed why you are trying to defend this monster.

"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 pm
I have no desire whatsoever to "fight" you over anything. I haven't even said anything to you. My only post to you was to point out that John Gee's behavior that makes you "red in the face" is identical to DCP's behavior in regards to Robert Ritner.
No it isn’t. You should know that. If you don’t, maybe you should think harder and do more research.
I'm not trying to convince anyone. The proof is there for anyone to see. I'm just shining a light on DCP's bad behavior which I am convinced has hurt many people, their reputations and institutions that I care deeply about.

As long as DCP continues his harmful behavior, people will continue to shine a light on the same. Kish, I'm perplexed why you are trying to defend this monster.
You have a pretty low bar for the word monster.
The Stig
Valiant B

Post by The Stig »

Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:14 pm
Defend? I've not seen him defend any of DCP's actions, have you? I've not seen him defend any of DCP's words, have you? I've not seen him defend any of DCP's writings, have you?

What I have seen is Kish making a call for a cease to the endless, pointless, and tiresome personal attacks on a man who, frankly, doesn't really matter to the evaluation of the truth claims of the LDS church, anymore. DCP once held a very prominent role, yes, but he and his very close circle of sycophantic minions have been relegated to a tiny corner of the interwebz, read by barely anyone, on which 'debates' are more for sport than for furthering any kind of truth-seeking exercise.

If by 'defend' you mean Kish has 'defended' that DCP has a right to exist and not be unnecessarily harassed on a personal level for saying dumb, but mostly harmless, stuff in the online repository of words, then I guess Kish did that. I see no real problem with picking apart all of his latest writings and rants; he put it out there for public consumption; criticism (and sometimes parody) comes with that. I'm sure this board can find plenty of material in just those things to keep entertained for a long while. But, the hyperbolic 'monster' terminology (Jeffrey Dahmer was a monster. Osama Bin Laden was a monster. DCP is not a monster.), the ongoing jokes about the man's weight or appearance, and the attacks on his career are, at best, sophomoric b*llsh*t.
Last edited by The Stig on Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:19 pm
No it isn’t. You should know that. If you don’t, maybe you should think harder and do more research.
You're right, it isn't the same. John Gee is trying to disparage Ritner's research, while DCP was alluding to inappropriate sexual behavior. DCP's behavior is MUCH worse. Shameful behavior from DCP and it probably violates several state and federal statutes.

It's telling that DCP's behavior gets a pass from you, while John Gee's behavior makes you red in the face.
Kish wrote:You have a pretty low bar for the word monster.
Well, the bar is set pretty low for DCP and his defenders. But, I probably should apologize to any monsters out there for my comparison.
"I'm on paid sabbatical from BYU in exchange for my promise to use this time to finish two books."

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:40 pm
You're right, it isn't the same. John Gee is trying to disparage Ritner's research, while DCP was alluding to inappropriate sexual behavior. DCP's behavior is MUCH worse. Shameful behavior from DCP and it probably violates several state and federal statutes.

It's telling that DCP's behavior gets a pass from you, while John Gee's behavior makes you red in the face.
The behavior you are talking about happened years ago on a board that closed long ago.

What Gee did was actually a lot more aggressive, personal, and unprofessional in his published attack on Ritner’s book. Maybe you missed that. Speaking as a fellow academic, THAT is what would anger me, not some false rumors some rando guy was spreading on an obscure online forum.
Well, the bar is set pretty low for DCP and his defenders. But, I probably should apologize to any monsters out there for my comparison.
I’m with Stig on this. Your rhetoric is way over the top. DCP is not a monster.
Everybody Wang Chung
God

Thanks Kish. I respect your opinion, regardless of how far apart we are in our respective views of DCP.

PS Not that it matters to you, but that “rando” guy spreading false rumors and trying to besmirch Robert Ritner’s reputation was DCP. Exactly like he has been doing to many others for decades.

Daniel C. Peterson, 2014
Doctor CamNC4Me
God

Post by Doctor CamNC4Me »

Kishkumen wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:12 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:57 pm

- Doc
Is that a win that is worth pursuing? What is gained if the way of winning that person over is to tell him his friend are creeps? If a person is incapable of being won over by the merits of the argument, then who wants them as an ally? Will this person have been improved by using character assassination to shame him into abandoning his religion?
Of course, the better way to do this is probably just to remind people that the papyri are not Bronze Age documents and their Egyptian does not translate into the Book of Abraham. It really is that simple.

We should really want people to make the best choices for themselves based on the merits of the case for Mormonism
I dunno. You tell me. Trump lied to and received people. Was it unbecoming to call him out? To show he was a man peddling foolishness and was untrustworthy?

with regard to - DCP. You think so highly of a man who deceives others and goes back on his word to defend him from our own behavior? That's weird, man DCP needs to be shown for the man he is, lest people like sigline guy are bamboozled by his self-serving BS, and remain in the cult?

- Doc
Hugh Nibley claimed he bumped into Adolf Hitler, Albert Einstein, Winston Churchill, Gertrude Stein, and the Grand Duke Vladimir Romanoff. Dishonesty is baked into Mormonism.