Is Mother in heaven a God?

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_TAO
_Emeritus

Re: Is Mother in heaven a God?

Post by _TAO »

Blixa wrote:Why? Why would a divine being place within me a fine intelligence only to condemn me to life of rote reproduction?

Blixa, Blixa, Blixa.

HM isn't confined only to reproduction. That would be a total waste of her abilities. She has other tasks up there... I think she even has some small tasks down here. But for a good reason, her and Father have agreed to keep her hidden for the time being. She loves us insanely though - I can tell you that much.

Why would the talents I've magnified on my earthy sojourn count for not? Why would I consent to worship a being who seemingly cared little for that which makes me myself, who sought to limit my eternal capacities?

Blixa, you look through it with the lens of a critic, but you have never looked at it through the lens of a believer. One of the advantages of seeing it through the lens of a believer is that you get to think about what it would be like to be in such a position. And I can tell you, God treasures his wife beyond all things; even more than us in a way. He and her have such a glorious mairrage of purity... it's amazing, that it is. And their unity is like... non human. It really isn't what the critics make it out to be, that it isn't.

I really would suggest that you ask Father about it, rather than ask critics, who have never experienced it, before you think you are going to be unwillingly limited or controlled. It is much different than they portray it to be.

Better to rule to Hell than serve in that Heaven...

Mmm... I don't think one understands what the definition is of a husband in heaven... it is utter sacrifice to the wife. Utter and complete. Service is the definition of a mairrage up there; both members serve the other completely, losing themselves, and in doing so, become one.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

TAO, I don't suppose you can point me to where Mormon leaders have described Heavenly Mother's role?

Because all I have is some cringe-inducing statements from Orson Pratt's The Seer about why polygamist Gods can populate their worlds faster.
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

MsJack wrote:TAO, I don't suppose you can point me to where Mormon leaders have described Heavenly Mother's role?

As Darth J said...

Darth J wrote:
TAO wrote:Hehe, Darth J, I hate to tell you, but oftentimes, much of my words come from a moment's thoughtfulness, not from obscure sources combined.

TAO, you have successfully proven that you are a believing LDS member and not an apologist. Congratulations! (I am being serious.)

No, it is not 'LDS doctrine'; it's my thoughts on the issue.

EDIT: Oh by the way, Darth J, I hope you don't mind if I sig that... if you don't want me to, say so and I'll remove it.
Last edited by Guest on Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

Blixa wrote:
TAO wrote:
Actually, it's like she is more in charge of taking care of many of her children in heaven, whereas he is more in charge of instructing those on Earth.

'More' meaning mostly.

And that is why I am not Mormon, TAO.

ha! I clearly remember sitting in YW being taught all this nonsense, then coming out of class, where we were required to wear dresses and pantyhose, to seeing the boys playing basketball in the gym, in jeans. (Pretty much what they did for YM every week). I'd look at them thinking,uh, no, this is all BS. I'm not some back of the room girl looking all prim and proper for one of those dorks for eternity.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

TAO wrote:
Blixa wrote:And that is why I am not Mormon, TAO.

Perhaps one day you will look at it differently, that you might.

Or we could look at it as the product of a patriarchal society which has consistently limited the role of women to reproduction and nurturing, without considering that they are capable of doing so much more. While doing so, this society, has suggested that such a role is the pinnacle of feminine existence and that no other role should be desired beyond that. If there is a HM and she is a GOD, then being omnipotent she certainly could fill the roles you suggest she does and all the ones HF is doing also.

In all likelihood HF has realized that if we knew she existed and what she is capable of, we would realize HF is not necessary and therefore He has kept her hidden to avoid such a potential catastrophic loss of devout followers.

It all makes perfect sense to me now.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

madeleine wrote:ha! I clearly remember sitting in YW being taught all this nonsense, then coming out of class, where we were required to wear dresses and pantyhose, to seeing the boys playing basketball in the gym, in jeans. (Pretty much what they did for YM every week). I'd look at them thinking,uh, no, this is all BS. I'm not some back of the room girl looking all prim and proper for one of those dorks for eternity.

Uh madeleine... I'm pretty sure it wasn't men who made the decision for this rule...

And it isn't a rule in my ward.
_MsJack
_Emeritus

Post by _MsJack »

TAO wrote:No, it is not 'LDS doctrine'; it's my thoughts on the issue.

All right, fair enough. You sound earnest and sincere, and truth be told, I like you.

I wrote my own thoughts on this issue here (off site).
"It seems to me that these women were the head (κεφάλαιον) of the church which was at Philippi." ~ John Chrysostom, Homilies on Philippians 13

My Blogs: Weighted Glory | Worlds Without End: A Mormon Studies Roundtable | Twitter
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

madeleine wrote:ha! I clearly remember sitting in YW being taught all this nonsense, then coming out of class, where we were required to wear dresses and pantyhose, to seeing the boys playing basketball in the gym, in jeans. (Pretty much what they did for YM every week). I'd look at them thinking,uh, no, this is all BS. I'm not some back of the room girl looking all prim and proper for one of those dorks for eternity.

No kidding. Any god who privileges that over me? Well, he'll have his hands full of eternal insurrection.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_madeleine
_Emeritus

Post by _madeleine »

TAO wrote:

Uh madeleine... I'm pretty sure it wasn't men who made the decision for this rule...

And it isn't a rule in my ward.

Don't care.

We are reliant on Christ, NOT a spouse.
Being a Christian is not the result of an ethical choice or a lofty idea, but the encounter with an event, a person, which gives life a new horizon and a decisive direction -Pope Benedict XVI
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

MsJack wrote:All right, fair enough. You sound earnest and sincere, and truth be told, I like you.

Thanks.

I wrote my own thoughts on this issue...

It's getting rather late here; I'll take a look at it tomorrow if I remember it =).