Poll: Evolution

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.

Which statement is closest to your view of human origins?

Total votes: 0

_Runtu
_Emeritus

Poll: Evolution

Post by _Runtu »

I've been reading a book about evolution, and it cites a poll given to Americans about their beliefs regarding creationism and evolution. I thought it might be interesting to see where this crowd comes out on this issue.

ETA: The questions are from the original survey. Personally, I'm less interested in whether people think God had a hand in evolution or not than I am in whether people believe in a recent creationism or evolution.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Re: Poll: Evolution

Post by _Quasimodo »

The second option. There is no evidence to the contrary. Gotta go with the evidence.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

As strange as this sounds to many who have seen my posting over the years but I think I believe in evolution. I also think there is a Creator(s).
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Mephitus
_Emeritus

Post by _Mephitus »

I've read numerous and interesting books on evolution. If any of you want a few good books or documentaries on the subject:
The Selfish Gene (amazing book about the genetic benefits of altruism in social species)
Growing up in the Universe (Highschool level look at evolution from an external view) [And it happens to have a cameo from my most favorite author ever!] - Psst, its Douglas Adams
The Blind Watchmaker (What can i say, i love dawkins)
One nice thing is, ze game of love is never called on account of darkness - Pepe Le Pew
_lostindc
_Emeritus

Post by _lostindc »

Forgot to add, I would be interested in hearing from those nevermo's that are currently self-proclaimed Christians.
2019 = #100,000missionariesstrong
_Patriarchal gripe
_Emeritus

Post by _Patriarchal gripe »

Currently reading Dawkins as well, The Greatest Show on Earth. Great book.
_Ceeboo
_Emeritus

Post by _Ceeboo »

Hey lostindc,

lostindc wrote:Forgot to add, I would be interested in hearing from those nevermo's that are currently self-proclaimed Christians.

You rang? :)

I believe that there is indeed a Creator/God of everything (humans certainly included). I also believe that this Creator/God created humans (relatively speaking) in the form we now see them.

I am "agnostic" concerning how long humans have walked this earth.

Peace,
Ceeboo
_Hoops
_Emeritus

Post by _Hoops »

Why are you interested?
_Chap
_Emeritus

Post by _Chap »

Second option.

Which deity, by the way? There are so many ...
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_Runtu
_Emeritus

Post by _Runtu »

Hoops wrote:Why are you interested?

Just mildly curious. I would imagine a greater percentage of MDB posters would opt for the second choice, but I don't know.
Runtu's Rincón

If you just talk, I find that your mouth comes out with stuff. -- Karl Pilkington