A message for TAO

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Chap
_Emeritus

Re: A message for TAO

Post by _Chap »

Valentinus wrote:...

I do like you Chap and I am glad to be chatting with you.

Nice of you! I hope that PP will find this place tolerable too.

One piece of advice - moderation here is light, in part due to there being few moderators, who have limited time. If you think a post is breaking the rules, or does not belong in the forum where you see it (example: using obscenity or Temple content in the Terrestrial forum, off-topic attempts at derailing, etc.), just hit the 'report' button, the one with the exclamation mark. That usually attracts attention.
Zadok:
I did not have a faith crisis. I discovered that the Church was having a truth crisis.
Maksutov:
That's the problem with this supernatural stuff, it doesn't really solve anything. It's a placeholder for ignorance.
_mercyngrace
_Emeritus

Post by _mercyngrace »

Peppermint Patty wrote:Hello all. MercynGrace check your PM at MDD.

Hi Patty,

I just got home and responded to your PM.
"In my more rebellious days I tried to doubt the existence of the sacred, but the universe kept dancing and life kept writing poetry across my life." ~ David N. Elkins, 1998, Beyond Religion, p. 81
_TAO
_Emeritus

Post by _TAO »

Peppermint Patty wrote:
Valentinus wrote:Hey Patty! Will you be joining us here more often?

Hi Valentinus,

I think so. I am just testing the waters since my friend MercynGrace and TAO are now posting over here. What can I expect here?

I'm probably going to be leaving here soon... so yeah... don't expect to see me around.

So far, it doesn't seem to be the evil place that I hear about so often.

Perhaps it is exaggerated a tiny bit, but... the rumors have some basis in truth. There was a reason I stopped posting here after a while. I'm not sure if it's gotten better since then, but yeah.
_mercyngrace
_Emeritus

Post by _mercyngrace »

Peppermint Patty wrote:What can I expect here?

I wrote this to you in a PM but since they are my own words, I will post them publicly (with a few minor edits for style and grammar) in case anyone else who is lurking decides to post here or wonders why I do. I'm going to add that they reflect my own perceptions and I won't be responding to CFRs should anyone feel like going to mat over something posted herein.

I think most people are inclined to treat you fairly but there is a very long and unpleasant history between some of the participants of each board. A small handful of members on both boards seem inclined to hold grudges and assume the position that if you are not "with them" then you are most assuredly "against them".

In my own experience, I have found that posting at MDB is a risk worth taking. There are good people on both sides of the divide and all the participants are, as you know, beloved sons and daughters of God. There are also people on both sides of the divide who behave in decidedly unChristlike ways. There are people on both sides of the divide who set double standards - excusing their own behavior or the behavior of their ideological allies while denouncing others for perceived wrongs. People are people.

If you post at MDB, you run the risk of being painted as a traitor, an apostate, and worse. If you know who you are and don't need either board to validate your faith, testimony, or sense of worth, you'll be fine.

On this board, you will see some blatantly anti-Mormon postings, some obscene statements made by people who are still working through their anger with the church, and you may find yourself alone in sharing your beliefs. If, however, you feel that you can listen to other people express their opinions without personalizing it or taking offense, you may find that your experience mirrors mine and that you find good friends who are in most ways just like you ~ asking questions, seeking support, and working out in their own way, the complexities of faith, religion, and life in general.

However you decide to proceed, just remember who YOU are. Don't let others define you. And build relationships that matter.

Much love,
Cate
"In my more rebellious days I tried to doubt the existence of the sacred, but the universe kept dancing and life kept writing poetry across my life." ~ David N. Elkins, 1998, Beyond Religion, p. 81
_Valentinus
_Emeritus

Post by _Valentinus »

Wonderfully put, Mercy.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the president, or that we are to stand by the president, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public."
-Theodore Roosevelt
_schreech
_Emeritus

Post by _schreech »

mercyngrace wrote:
Peppermint Patty wrote:What can I expect here?

I wrote this to you in a PM but since they are my own words, I will post them publicly (with a few minor edits for style and grammar) in case anyone else who is lurking decides to post here or wonders why I do. I'm going to add that they reflect my own perceptions and I won't be responding to CFRs should anyone feel like going to mat over something posted herein.

I think most people are inclined to treat you fairly but there is a very long and unpleasant history between some of the participants of each board. A small handful of members on both boards seem inclined to hold grudges and assume the position that if you are not "with them" then you are most assuredly "against them".

In my own experience, I have found that posting at MDB is a risk worth taking. There are good people on both sides of the divide and all the participants are, as you know, beloved sons and daughters of God. There are also people on both sides of the divide who behave in decidedly unChristlike ways. There are people on both sides of the divide who set double standards - excusing their own behavior or the behavior of their ideological allies while denouncing others for perceived wrongs. People are people.

If you post at MDB, you run the risk of being painted as a traitor, an apostate, and worse. If you know who you are and don't need either board to validate your faith, testimony, or sense of worth, you'll be fine.

On this board, you will see some blatantly anti-Mormon postings, some obscene statements made by people who are still working through their anger with the church, and you may find yourself alone in sharing your beliefs. If, however, you feel that you can listen to other people express their opinions without personalizing it or taking offense, you may find that your experience mirrors mine and that you find good friends who are in most ways just like you ~ asking questions, seeking support, and working out in their own way, the complexities of faith, religion, and life in general.

However you decide to proceed, just remember who YOU are. Don't let others define you. And build relationships that matter.

Much love,
Cate

Damn...you make it awfully hard to hate all Mormons :) - that is what us "anti's" do right?
"your reasoning that children should be experimented upon to justify a political agenda..is tantamount to the Nazi justification for experimenting on human beings."-SUBgenius on gay parents
"I've stated over and over again on this forum and fully accept that I'm a bigot..." - ldsfaqs
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Hi, Peppermint Patty.

I'm the infamous Kimberly Ann. My four daughters keep me very, very busy, so I rarely participate here, but wanted to extend a "Welcome!" to you nonetheless.

I hope you enjoy whatever time you choose to spend here. If I may, I'd like to suggest using the ignore function whenever you feel the need. It is a good way to filter out static you'd rather not hear.

Best,

KA
_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

Hi Patty!

I agree with Kimberly Ann that the Ignore feature can be your best friend.

This is a little out of date, but I once wrote this to explain why I'm here.
Last edited by Ahoody on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_Fence Sitter
_Emeritus

Post by _Fence Sitter »

Peppermint Patty wrote:
Hi Valentinus,

I think so. I am just testing the waters since my friend MercynGrace and TAO are now posting over here. What can I expect here?

So far, it doesn't seem to be the evil place that I hear about so often.

Welcome.

You will find a broad spectrum here.

Like the other board we have a obvious slant here.
Like the other board there are some really intelligent people here.
Like the other board there are people with axes to grind.
Like the other board (or maybe combined with the other board) the people here have a history going way back with each other. Knowing that history (and I do not claim to- but I am learning) helps understand some of the more intense interactions.
Like the other board there are people here who are very well informed about Mormonism in all aspects.

Unlike the other board the bulk of our discussions tend toward current and historical events relating to Mormonism. (I find the other board deals a lot more with scriptural discussions than we do here but we have our share. Usually they are in the Celestial Forum)
Unlike the other board we can be brutal on believers who make unsupported assertions based on faith alone.
Unlike the other board you will not be moderated (except maybe to have a post moved to the appropriate forum) for any thing you say. (There are a few exceptions like revealing RL personal information and threatening others on the forum.)
Unlike the other board we do not judge a person based on where else he/she posts.
Last edited by Guest on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Any over-ritualized religion since the dawn of time can make its priests say yes, we know, it is rotten, and hard luck, but just do as we say, keep at the ritual, stick it out, give us your money and you'll end up with the angels in heaven for evermore."
_KimberlyAnn
_Emeritus

Post by _KimberlyAnn »

Peppermint Patty, may we call you Sir?