Shameful MDD thread

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Re: Shameful MDD thread

Post by _Res Ipsa »

lulu wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote: I really have no idea what the fire and brimstone comment was about.

Yeah, that one is a puzzler, I don't know, maybe something about Zakuska thinking God will justly destroy the wicked?

lulu - from the disaster zone

Well, it's clear Z believes that. But a hurricane is not fire and brimstone, and Z is clearly trying to fit the storm into prophecy. So, I can't make the leap from "God will destroy the wicked with fire and brimstone" to "Hurricane Sandy is god killing the wicked."
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

― Hannah Arendt, The Origins of Totalitarianism, 1951
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Brad Hudson wrote:I really have no idea what the fire and brimstone comment was about.

lulu wrote:Yeah, that one is a puzzler, I don't know, maybe something about Zakuska thinking God will justly destroy the wicked?

lulu - from the disaster zone

Brad Hudson wrote:Well, it's clear Z believes that.
Which is pretty much the point of this thread here on MD entitled "Shameful MDD thread."
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I disagree. The thread was about how callous, and horrible, and disgusting, and sickening the posters in the thread were.

The statement "God will punish the wicked" is not equivalent to saying "Every person who dies is an example of god punishing the wicked" or "Hurricane Sandy is god punishing the wicked."
​“The ideal subject of totalitarian rule is not the convinced Nazi or the dedicated communist, but people for whom the distinction between fact and fiction, true and false, no longer exists.”

_Cicero
_Emeritus

Post by _Cicero »

I am so angered by the thoughts expressed on that thread that I haven't been able to respond coherently. I am so devastated by what has happened. I now live far away from the East Coast but I served my mission in New Jersey and I also lived in Brooklyn for a time several years ago. The photos I am seeing, and the stories I am reading are simply incomprehensible to me. My heart aches for the suffering of so many . . . I simply don't know what to say to those like Blixa and Lulu that are in the middle of all this. It just seems so inadequate to say that "my thoughts are with you" at a time like this. I have made donations and I wish I could do more.

Please stay safe.
Last edited by Guest on Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
_lulu
_Emeritus

Post by _lulu »

Brad Hudson wrote:The thread was about how callous, and horrible, and disgusting, and sickening the posters in the thread were.

Zakuska opened a thread so posters could complain about each other.

You're way too deep into horses are tapirs territory for me.

Be safe.
"And the human knew the source of life, the woman of him, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, 'I have procreated a man with Yahweh.'" Gen. 4:1, interior quote translated by D. Bokovoy.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

lulu wrote:
Brad Hudson wrote:The thread was about how callous, and horrible, and disgusting, and sickening the posters in the thread were.

Zakuska opened a thread so posters could complain about each other.

You're way too deep into horses are tapirs territory for me.

Be safe.

Thanks. You too.

_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

I felt the OP was shameful enough. Citing verses about how the deaths of atheists will be "bitter," is also astoundingly unfeeling, to say the least. (Of course, not everyone who added a comment in that thread had something disgusting to say.)

I also noticed another thread, in a different forum, started by the same poster I thought one of the worst offenders in Zakuska's thread. Though it called for prayers etc., it quickly turned into a thread about various posters's birthdays and birthday plans.

As a scholar of textuality, I am as interested in what is not said as what is said. I was surprised that there were few expressions of concern for lds, let alone others, in the path of Sandy both in that thread and elsewhere on that board.

I guess I have to say, though, that the thread I pointed to was NOTHING compared to the outpouring of filth in the wake of Katrina. I hope it was a memory of that horror which prompted the quick closure of the Sandy/prophecy thread.

I should also note that I don't take the denizens of the former MAD/now MDD board to be representative of "Mormonism." With few exceptions, they characterize a fringe culture of the conservative extreme.
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."
_MrStakhanovite
_Emeritus

Post by _MrStakhanovite »

I toched on this topic on the WWE blog..

In the Babylonian Talmud, there is a fascinating section called Tractate Berachot that deals extensively on the activity of prayer. It is fascinating how carefully and reverently the ChaZaL[1] treated prayer, discussing all the instances where and when it is acceptable to pray and when to interrupt your prayer. For example, if you are walking home and you see the pillar of smoke that could only come from a house fire in your neighborhood, you are forbidden to pray that the house on fire is not your own. The reasoning is persuasive, if you are to invoke God’s intervention to save your property you are doing it at the expense of a fellow human being and is a selfish use of prayer that is abominable.

It is a weird petty little world they inhabit over there at MD&D. I wonder why Vlogadon still posts over there.
_Res Ipsa
_Emeritus

Post by _Res Ipsa »

I guess, when I look at the discussion of Sandy here http://www.mormondiscussions.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26745 I don't see much difference in the tone. Seems to me there was a notable absence of compassion for victims here, as well. That's why I say: just humans doing what humans do.

by the way, this atheist would find his death bitter indeed. :wink:

I am very sorry for your loss and hope you are doing well in the aftermath.

_Blixa
_Emeritus

Post by _Blixa »

For Morley, and others, who are interested in donating: Portlight Strategies, Inc. This group targets the needs of people with disabilities. I read about this group while following this story about using social networking to put together aid for a disabled couple in Manhattan.

-------

I see where you're coming from Brad, I didn't see that thread on MDB because I stay out of that forum completely. And I am thankful that the MDD thread that so irked me was locked quickly. I should know better than to be even looking at that website, but I lapsed while I was at my computer tracking the whereabouts and situations of my students and colleagues on LI. Most of them are without light and heat still...
From the Ernest L. Wilkinson Diaries: "ELW dreams he's spattered with/ grease. Hundreds steal his greasy pants."