Epic Mormonism Live on Rosebud Accusations

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
Moksha
God

Re: Epic Mormonism Live on Rosebud Accusations

Post by Moksha »

Dwight wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:21 am
Her friend would be better friends if they stopped helping her do this to herself, or in some cases getting a megaphone and saying "hey look at my friend here, John Dehlin did this to her, what an awful person John Dehlin is."
What if she likes being an ax and her friends like swinging her at Dehlin in revenge for saying stuff against the Church.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Moksha
God

Post by Moksha »

consiglieri wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:55 pm
In the meantime, it appears Rosebud is asking for donations for legal fees on her Facebook page.

The one under her real name.

And in the alternative, she is asking for donations to defray the expenses of her two children’s college tuition.

While citing John Dehlin as the cause of her relative penury, having cost her hundreds of thousands of dollars.

It is certainly more ambitious than a gofundme for a laptop, I suppose.
Couldn't Church HQ take care of this expenses issue with their Ensign Peak app?

Will Kirton McConkie be helping James Patterson redact the documents and make them look real, and perhaps reinstating Rosebud to head the Open Stories Foundation and suing Dehlin?
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

Her ex makes like 200 grand a year 3 years ago and she needs help with their kids' college education? Actually I can believe that he may have gone on and remarried and possibly even had kids with the new wife and the kids he had with Rosebud could be an afterthought for him, or maybe she poisoned that well.
pistolero
Deacon

Post by pistolero »

Dwight wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 7:58 am
Her ex makes like 200 grand a year 3 years ago and she needs help with their kids' college education? Actually I can believe that he may have gone on and remarried and possibly even had kids with the new wife and the kids he had with Rosebud could be an afterthought for him, or maybe she poisoned that well.
I'm out of date on all things in the church manual. But wasn't there an order to church welfare? 1) Family, 2) Government and then finally 3) Church? Surely it won't be long before the Handbook inserts GoFundMe somewhere between Government and Church in that ordered list?

Sounds like her ex is quite successful, in a worldly way. But yes, you'd have thought he could dip into his pocket for his kids.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Dwight wrote:
You make an excellent point, Dwight. We appreciate all of your many contributions to this thread. I am having a difficult time believing her ex would refuse to help his kids out with college. From what I understand he was not a bad guy. It makes you wonder what is up with this plea for college money.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Lem wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:22 am
A very different take on Rosebud's volunteer work related to the Open Stories Foundation foundation has been posted on the site, "dearjohndehlin", apparently based on her cognitive interview, but this seems to be a lot more detail than those who also listened have reported:
...With the backdrop of a complicated faith situation complicating a difficult marriage she reached out to Dehlin and volunteered to help in his organization. Dehlin invited her and her family to attend the Book of Mormon Musical when it came out as part of a publicity push involving Laurie Goodstein that got him written up in the New York Times. Dehlin asked Rosebud in the midst of that trip where she thought the future lay for those who found themselves in various states of unbelief within the larger Mormon cultural context.

She unfolded to him a vision of communities actualized through initial participation in location-specific Facebook groups that could then serve as the basis for organizing events within local communities. This would allow unbelievers to gain the kind of community and support which some, regrettably, lose in the midst of faith crises. Within this model of community building, she organized conferences, some of them, frankly, wildly successful. These included conferences for LGBT people such as Circling the Wagons. A key ingredient in her model was fostering an environment in which believing and unbelieving people could all get along together. This allowed Open Stories Foundation’s influence to expand wildly as they were able to access thought leaders from the normative Latter-day Saint intelligentsia as well as those more critical of the Church. Though Dehlin had initial concerns about the financial viability of such an approach, the events also drew large quantities of donation and appear to have precipitated a major increase in backing. Indeed, I strongly suspect that if she had been allowed to continue, and if he could have refrained from alienating her, Dehlin would now preside over an empire substantially more powerful, productive, and wealthy than anything he has since accomplished, even in recent years.

Unfortunately for this enterprise, the relationship between Rosebud and John Dehlin became complicated by an extramarital sexual relationship, as Dehlin’s friends also, indeed, confirm. Very early on in their relationship (2011) they had been engaged in an extramarital erotic relationship.

https://dearjohndehlin.wordpress.com/20 ... interview/
It seems to be a very grandiose interpretation of the contributions of a one year volunteer.
Indeed. It may be that Open Stories Foundation would be a much bigger deal had they kept those local groups, etc., but talk about draining! It’s also kind of humorous to me that it is the part of Open Stories Foundation I was never keen on. True there are many people who want such communities. It’s just not my kind of thing.
“If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don’t have to worry about the answers.”~Thomas Pynchon, Gravity’s Rainbow
Meadowchik
Priest

Post by Meadowchik »

Dwight wrote:
Heads up: in a divorce where one space has a significantly larger income, they will have more ability to hire a lawyer and more bargaining power. Simply the ability to wait it out and survive financially by virtue of their income can allow them to come to a more advantageous divorce settlement.

I suspect that with many conservative couples who divorce where the wife has probably deferred and education and/or career to be a SAHM, and when the husband has a large income, this scenario is more likely.
Kishkumen
God

Post by Kishkumen »

Meadowchik wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:27 pm
Heads up: in a divorce where one space has a significantly larger income, they will have more ability to hire a lawyer and more bargaining power. Simply the ability to wait it out and survive financially by virtue of their income can allow them to come to a more advantageous divorce settlement.

I suspect that with many conservative couples who divorce where the wife has probably deferred and education and/or career to be a SAHM, and when the husband has a large income, this scenario is more likely.
As the child of a divorced couple, I know what you are talking about. That said, it is hard for me to believe that her ex is not going to chip in for his kids' college. They are, after all, still his kids.
Dwight
Deacon

Post by Dwight »

I meant to say he could have remarried and have a new family. I have no idea at all. I have a friend that her ex wanted really as little to do with the kids as possible especially after he remarried and had kids with his new wife.

Due to the affair getting out Rosebud's ex challenged to have the divorce as fault instead of no-fault. He was successful. This is in my notes somewhere and she blames John Dehlin for this. As though the knowledge of the affair was the problem and not that she consented (at least at times) to the affair. The modified divorce settled on 3 years of alimony to give her some time to finish school and be able to get a career. However since she wasn't going to be able to finish school in time that was what helped lead her down the disastrous buying a franchise path. I don't think there is much you can do about child support except as far as how incomes change, but who knows in this case, it does happen. College is when they are adults and no longer would be considered for child support in most cases that I am aware of. My parents paid for my mission and the only support I got for college is that I could live at home.
canpakes
God

Post by canpakes »

Kishkumen wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:22 pm
Doctor CamNC4Me wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 8:15 pm
Well. I did mention truck driving upthread. :D

- Doc
Seriously, people who have problems working and playing well with others need to find the right kind of occupation--one that does not demand working and playing well with others.
‘Assassin’ would be a choice. ; )