LDS PUblic Affairs: Mormons DO NOT believe they get planets

The catch-all forum for general topics and debates. Minimal moderation. Rated PG to PG-13.
_DannyBoy
_Emeritus

LDS PUblic Affairs: Mormons DO NOT believe they get planets

Post by _DannyBoy »

This is a new article from LDS Church Public Affairs, a.k.a. "The Ministry of Propaganda", which now says that Mormons DO NOT believe they will get their own planets in the Celestial Kingdom. I kid you NOT!!!!

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — The Mormon Church is pushing back against the notion that members of the faith are taught they'll get their own planet in the afterlife, a misconception popularized in pop culture most recently by the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon."

A newly-posted article affirms the faith's belief that humans can become like God in eternity, but says the "cartoonish image of people receiving their own planets" is not how members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints envision it.

"While few Latter-day Saints would identify with caricatures of having their own planet, most would agree that the awe inspired by creation hints at our creative potential in the eternities," the article says.

The expectation of exaltation is more figurative and ambiguous than boiling it down to living on one planet, it says.

"Church members imagine exaltation less through images of what they will get and more through the relationships they have now and how those relationships might be purified and elevated," the article says.

..View gallery

FILE - In this Feb. 6, 2013, file photo, the angel Moroni statue, silhouetted against a cloud-covere . . .

The 3,500-word article is part of a series of recent online pieces posted on the church website that explain, expand or clarify on some of the more sensitive gospel topics.

Past articles have addressed the faith's past ban on black men in the lay clergy and the early history of polygamy.

The series of postings have been applauded by religious scholars who say the church is finally acknowledging some of the most controversial or sensitive parts of its history and doctrine that it once sidestepped.

"The church has become fully aware that scholarship and history is a double edge sword," said Terryl Givens, professor of literature and religion and the James Bostwick Chair of English at the University of Richmond. "They can work in the church's favor, but they can also be unsettling."

The new article, entitled "Becoming Like God," doesn't mention Kolob, referred to in the Book of Abraham as a planet or star closest to the throne of God.

..View gallery

FILE - In this Jan. 29, 2013, file photo, the angel Moroni statue, silhouetted against a cloud-cover . . .

Kolob is mentioned in a Mormon hymn, but interpretations that it is the planet where God lives, or the place where church members will go when they die, read a great deal into an obscure verse in Mormon scripture, said Matthew Bowman, assistant professor of religion at Hampden-Sydney College.

"I'm not surprised it's not mentioned," Bowman said. "Even most Mormons aren't sure what exactly to make of the reference."

Kolob is believed to be the inspiration for the name of the planet, "Kobol," in the science fiction TV series "Battlestar Galactica," which was created by a Mormon.

Kolob is also mentioned in the Broadway show "The Book of Mormon" when a fictional Mormon missionary sings about all the things he believes as a church member.

"I believe that God has a plan for all of us. I believe that plan involved me getting my own planet," he bellows, and later, "I believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob."

..View gallery
_The Nehor
_Emeritus

Re: LDS PUblic Affairs: Mormons DO NOT believe they get plan

Post by _The Nehor »

Of course I am not going to get one lousy ball of mud. I am going to stride like a colossus throughout the cosmos and rule it all. I am insulted that others imagine our ambitions are so low. Villains from low-grade sci-fi movies have more ambition then you attribute to us.
"Surely he knows that DCP, The Nehor, Lamanite, and other key apologists..." -Scratch clarifying my status in apologetics
"I admit it; I'm a petty, petty man." -Some Schmo
_Quasimodo
_Emeritus

Post by _Quasimodo »

The Nehor wrote:Of course I am not going to get one lousy ball of mud. I am going to stride like a colossus throughout the cosmos and rule it all. I am insulted that others imagine our ambitions are so low. Villains from low-grade sci-fi movies have more ambition then you attribute to us.

Nehor!!! good to see you here! Sorry for the derail.
This, or any other post that I have made or will make in the future, is strictly my own opinion and consequently of little or no value.

"Faith is believing something you know ain't true" Twain.
_moksha
_Emeritus

Re: LDS Public Affairs: Mormons DO NOT believe they get plan

Post by _moksha »

DannyBoy wrote:
"I believe that God lives on a planet called Kolob."

This guy needs to think on a grander scale. It is more like a specially created Ring World with the flat dimensions of many planets, rather than either a single planet or orbital space station. This huge area is needed to house the Heavenly Host (both oxygen and methane breathers) as well as many mansions and a rather sizable area to accommodate Mormon-sized family reunions.
Cry Heaven and let loose the Penguins of Peace
_Polygamy-Porter
_Emeritus

Post by _Polygamy-Porter »

The Nehor wrote:Of course I am not going to get one lousy ball of mud. I am going to stride like a colossus throughout the cosmos and rule it all. I am insulted that others imagine our ambitions are so low. Villains from low-grade sci-fi movies have more ambition then you attribute to us.

Yep, it is Nehbore.
New name: Boaz
The most viewed "ignored" poster in Shady Acres® !
_bcspace
_Emeritus

Post by _bcspace »

This is a new article from LDS Church Public Affairs, a.k.a. "The Ministry of Propaganda", which now says that Mormons DO NOT believe they will get their own planets in the Celestial Kingdom. I kid you NOT!!!!

"Now says"? Did we ever?
Machina Sublime
Satan's Plan Deconstructed.
Your Best Resource On Joseph Smith's Polygamy.
Conservatism is the Gospel of Christ and the Plan of Salvation in Action.
The Degeneracy Of Progressivism.
_DannyBoy
_Emeritus

Post by _DannyBoy »

When I was an active Mormon, in the 1980s, ALL Mormons believed we got our own planet, at least one, in the Celestial Kingdom. It was a general belief.

bcspace wrote:

"Now says"? Did we ever?
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

Damn. Talk about your bait and switch. :lol:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Maksutov
_Emeritus

Post by _Maksutov »

bcspace wrote:

"Now says"? Did we ever?

Some Mormons were definitely under that impression and I don't think they made it up themselves. I was taught it at BYU and in PH meetings in the 1970s.

Mormon theology is such a mess that people don't know what they believe in. The corporation doesn't care as long as they pray, pay and obey. Doesn't speak well for the quality of revelation. I'll stick with the Satanic doctrines of science. They actually work. :cool:
"God" is the original deus ex machina. --Maksutov
_Markk
_Emeritus

Post by _Markk »

If they don't have their own planets, how are they going to...have continuation of seeds and live forever as a family unit?

This would mean that all Gods will have all their wives on or in the same estate having eternal sex producing spirit babies to go where...the same planet?

This begs the question do we have different HF's here on earth?

The LDS church should just not say anything...trying to wiggle out of lies just creates more problems. Sometimes I feel sorry for the GA, could you imagine being shoved into having to sort this crap out.

BC Space...where will all the new spirit children go to grow like "we" had too?
Don't take life so seriously in that " sooner or later we are just old men in funny clothes" "Tom 'T-Bone' Wolk"